PDA

View Full Version : Targeting: auto-Targeting using axes other than Z? How?

jeric_synergy
05-11-2014, 09:04 AM
How does one go about using, say, the Y axis as the auto-targeting axis rather than the Z axis?

RebelHill
05-11-2014, 09:31 AM
You dont... ordinarily...

Remember its not *really* the "Z axis" which targets whatever... its that an items FORWARD vector (which is denoted by its local Z axis) is targeted toward whatever. s such, using nodes, you can orient any local vector (up, forward or right) toward a target item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZYxAF0yJyU&list=PL1C4072533A16B807

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
....watches (again).... OH, right, the last 3 minutes always blows my mind.

jeric_synergy
05-16-2014, 03:05 PM
OK, having a go at setting up an example LWS targeting Y and X at a null.

Surprising to me is that THIS network worked to a certain extent, except limited to the FORWARD/Z axis in terms of targeting: but I didn't expect it to work at ALL because I'm just slapping a directional vector into the Rotation input. WTH???? Why?

What I figured would work, but did not, was this:
What my ignorant brain is thinking is:

"OK, got the vector, but
it needs to be converted into a Rotation, so
I'll normalize it,
Matrix>>HPB it, and
feed it into the Rotation input."

Instead, absolutely NOTHING happens (visibly). The fact that it's NOTHING, instead of something wrong, is even more puzzling to me. :bangwall:

So, I'll keep playing with it. :hammer: It seems I'm maybe not comprehending what the "HPB<>Matrix" nodes actually do. At the very least, this post illustrates to RH and other tutorial makers, Ganesh bless 'em, the depths of cluelessness that one individual can contain. :chicken: