PDA

View Full Version : What should be considered when setting up Lightwave

unstable
05-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Hey all, hope everyone is enjoying the weekend! I am setting up my new system and was wondering what are some settings I should consider when setting up 11.6 for the first time? Should I change?

Modeler settings such as
1. Color Space? (Should I change this from Linear?)
2. I changed my content directory to my secondary drive. Is this a good idea?
3. I changed the Subpatch from 3 to 6 (do I need to change Catmull-Clark?)
4. I increased my undos

Any other suggestions for Modeler?

What are some good settings to start with for Layout?

Thanks

ernpchan
05-10-2014, 07:29 PM
I'd avoid catmull clark.

spherical
05-10-2014, 11:36 PM
1 (sRGB), 2 and 4 are all good to do. I just leave Subpatch level at its default, as it depends upon the task at hand. No set best value. Additionally, check this thread:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140688-BSOD-on-F9-F10-Intermittent&p=1373402&viewfull=1#post1373402

Snosrap
05-10-2014, 11:59 PM
One of the first things I do is change these major short cut keys: Ctrl - c for copy to c, Ctrl - v for paste to v and Ctrl - z to u for undo as well as change Ctrl shift - z to shift - u for undo. :) Just one of the few things the new devs screwed up with LW8. :)

Sekhar
05-11-2014, 01:24 PM
About shortcuts: how're you guys retaining them between versions? Each time I update/upgrade LW, I'm having to export the shortcuts and then import them in the new version. Is there a better way?

jeric_synergy
05-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Shortcuts: not to my knowledge: that's what the Export function is FOR.

Menus: I get nervous about Menus-- at least w/the supplied menus I'll SEE new features/tools. If I use my old menus.... meh. Of course, the way to go is to ADD entire tabs, leaving the default menus in place, and that is implemented.

chikega
05-11-2014, 09:20 PM
I've assigned my Tab key to "G-Toggle Subpatch", so I can subpatch the entire object whether I'm in poly, edge or point mode.

Riff_Masteroff
05-12-2014, 12:35 AM
One of the first things I do is change these major short cut keys: Ctrl - c for copy to c, Ctrl - v for paste to v and Ctrl - z to u for undo as well as change Ctrl shift - z to shift - u for undo. :) Just one of the few things the new devs screwed up with LW8. :)

+1 . . . . . and I offer a clarification:

a) very important for synergy in using modeler tools and combinations of them . . . .
b) change shortcuts to c / v / x from Ctrl-C / Ctrl-v / Ctrl-X in modeler . . . . this is for geometry
c) Ctrl-C / Ctrl-X / Ctrl-V shortcuts are hidden, but do remain, but are OS shortcuts, all they do continue to work in LW . . . . this is for alpha-numeric (letters and numbers, not geometry)

Example:

a) copy two points into a single layer in modeler ( shortcut = c . . . . . then v )
b) get the info for one of those points ( shortcut = i )
c) copy the Y number ( shortcut = Ctrl-C )
d) select the second point and bring up the set value command ( shortcut = Ctrl-V )
e) select the y input in the set value requester and Ctrl-V again ( to paste the value stored in the buffer), then press enter

Sounds complicated, but goes very quickly and works with so many modeler tools. After a while, you might discover that . . . you can have more than one tool running at the same time. Each tool contributes but does not 'run over' the others. Who ever thought this out in programming is amazing. Who ever nixed the modeler workflow by changing the shortcuts is dumb and dumber. The big deal is that modeler recognizes two copy-paste buffers at the same time, one for the geometry itself and the other for the position of that geometry ( only one axis).

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 01:38 AM
On the Layout side, there's some REALLY dumb choices made for default hotkeys. Just make all your high-value keys (non-shifted Function keys, for instance) assign to the stuff you need.

IIRC , F2 (F2!) is assigned by default to something pointless and infrequently used. IF I recall correctly. Seems impossible.

I change OBJECT Mode to "o", because I change modes LOTS more than I change Options. Similarly, Lights are "l" (lowercase "L"), and camera is "c". Not with a damn shift. (Really, really dumb.)

BeeVee
05-12-2014, 05:37 AM
So the camera doesn't interfere with copy, or have you left those as Ctrl-x, c, v?

B

BeeVee
05-12-2014, 06:33 AM
For my LightWave students I suggest the following (and since they are French I keep the Ctrl-x, c and v. You'll see why)

General:
1. When installing, install to c:\NewTek rather than c:\Program Files\NewTek\
2. Choose a custom install and select Minimal
3. Once installed make a dir in /support/plugins called 3rdParty that will contain any plugins you download and don't get installed by LightWave by default
4. In Support/plugins archive the legacy folder and delete the folder so that really old plugins don't get automatically added.
5. In Support/configs I always put any menu branches I have, like for LWCAD or Octane, etc.
6. If my students have mice with more than three buttons (most do), I then tell them to assign VPR to one of the spares in Layout and Deselect to the same button in Modeler. This really helps to speed things up.

Modeler:

1. We all have so much screen real estate these days, so I get them to make the Modeler window a little narrower to permit the Numeric, Stats and Layers windows to stay permanently open at the side.
2. In Display Options >Layout I get them to turn on Show Normals. In >GL turn on GLSL; in >Viewports, for TopR (normally the Perspective viewport) I turn on Independent Visibility, Zoom and Center and turn off Show Normals. The rest I leave as is.
3. In the separate General Options window, on the >OBJ tab, I set OBJ Import scale to 0.0229%, which tends to bring in objects at the right size - you will need to check this for the object you import. Because CS has been sped up in Modeler, you can now use sRGB, but I tend to leave it on Linear since I do all my texturing in Layout
4. For people with an AZERTY keyboard layout, it's very hard to get to the ] button, so I switch Swap Foreground and Background Layers to x.
5. I set up Viewmodes with them. Numpad 1 for Wireframe, 2 for Textured, 3 for Textured Wire (and 4 for Weightshade for the animators). Each is set to Single Pane and just Rendering Style. There's little point setting a name.

Layout:

1. In Options >Gen I turn off Left Button Item Select (since items can be selected with the MMB, if yours isn't nice to use leave it); FPS I change down to 24, which will speed up my render times and can be easily adapted to PAL or NTSC if needed; I turn on Play at Exact Rate. It's more important to get a good feel for how fast your animation is going and most scenes won't be so heavy that modern computers can't keep up. On >Display, I leave as is for the most part. Undocking the preview window is not something saved with your configs, only individual scenes; in >GL I turn on Show Fog Circles and make sure Shading Method is set to GLSL.
2. Still in Options, on the >Def tab I change the Default Frame Size to HDTV(1280x720); I don't touch the >Paths tab and on >CS I set to sRGB with the Quick Presets but turn off Convert 8-bit to Float since it makes images so much more memory-hungry. The OBJ tab I set Import to 0.0229 %, like Modeler but >Nav is fine as is.

Once they'd done all these I reckon they are good to go.

B

Snosrap
05-12-2014, 06:57 AM
So the camera doesn't interfere with copy, or have you left those as Ctrl-x, c, v?

B I only use about 5 keyboard short-cuts in Layout. The translation shortcuts and F9 as well as F8 for VPR. 85% of my day is spent in Modeler with dropping models/designs into pre-exsisting Layout/ rendering/ light setups.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 . . . . . and I offer a clarification:

a) very important for synergy in using modeler tools and combinations of them . . . .
b) change shortcuts to c / v / x from Ctrl-C / Ctrl-v / Ctrl-X in modeler . . . . this is for geometry
c) Ctrl-C / Ctrl-X / Ctrl-V shortcuts are hidden, but do remain, but are OS shortcuts, all they do continue to work in LW . . . . this is for alpha-numeric (letters and numbers, not geometry)

Example:

a) copy two points into a single layer in modeler ( shortcut = c . . . . . then v )
b) get the info for one of those points ( shortcut = i )
c) copy the Y number ( shortcut = Ctrl-C )
d) select the second point and bring up the set value command ( shortcut = Ctrl-V )
e) select the y input in the set value requester and Ctrl-V again ( to paste the value stored in the buffer), then press enter

Sounds complicated, but goes very quickly and works with so many modeler tools. After a while, you might discover that . . . you can have more than one tool running at the same time. Each tool contributes but does not 'run over' the others. Who ever thought this out in programming is amazing. Who ever nixed the modeler workflow by changing the shortcuts is dumb and dumber. The big deal is that modeler recognizes two copy-paste buffers at the same time, one for the geometry itself and the other for the position of that geometry ( only one axis).

Exactly! :)

unstable
05-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks everyone! There is a lot of good information here to choose from. I like the info on the shortcut key set up and I switched to sRGB. By the way should every setting that had Linear on the color space tab be set to sRGB or just certain ones? Any in Layout?

What I thought about doing was installing LW on the C drive as normal. Then set the LW Content directory on my secondary drive. Within the Content Directory create sub directories for Objects and Scenes along with other sub directories for the 3rd Party plugins, textures, and presets. I was trying to reduce the amount of items on the C drive. Is this a bad idea??

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
c=Camera in Layout doesn't interfere with the normal string copying between input fields.

Except for copying strings, I never use COPY in layout-- I mean, if I need to copy a light/camera/object, I use CLONE. Using the Python QUICK CLONE script is super fast. Frankly, it never occurred to me.

BTW, is there a CLONE HIERARCHY that will take a numeric input? Just the other day I need to clone a short heirarchy 7 times, and it was rather a PITA.

+++++
Re: the C drive: I also try to minimize use of the C drive. My default program drive is E:.

C: tends to accumulate rubbish, and keeping my apps out of it makes it easier to clean up.
+++++
Content Dir: for me the Content Directory is a good idea that unfortunately was only half implemented. I'd like to see more default folders, and a system for user customization (wait,did they already do that?).

One thing I do is create my own custom project folder STRUCTURES, kinda a leftover practice from before the more extensive CD functions existed, that include folders like "AE PROJECTS" and "IMAGES/CLIENT SUPPLIED" and "IMAGES/UTILITY IMAGES" and "OBJECTS/UTILITY OBJECTS", pre-loaded with various bitmaps and meshes I find convenient to have around.

I name these "aaa_EmptyProject" so they're always at the top, so I can select and copy them as fast as possible. "zzz_EmptyProject" would work too.

bobakabob
05-12-2014, 11:58 AM
For my LightWave students I suggest the following (and since they are French I keep the Ctrl-x, c and v. You'll see why)

General:
3. Once installed make a dir in /support/plugins called 3rdParty that will contain any plugins you download and don't get installed by LightWave by default
4. In Support/plugins archive the legacy folder and delete the folder so that really old plugins don't get automatically added.
5. In Support/configs I always put any menu branches I have, like for LWCAD or Octane, etc.
6. If my students have mice with more than three buttons (most do), I then tell them to assign VPR to one of the spares in Layout and Deselect to the same button in Modeler. This really helps to speed things up.

Modeler:

1. We all have so much screen real estate these days, so I get them to make the Modeler window a little narrower to permit the Numeric, Stats and Layers windows to stay permanently open at the side.
2. In Display Options >Layout I get them to turn on Show Normals. In >GL turn on GLSL; in >Viewports, for TopR (normally the Perspective viewport) I turn on Independent Visibility, Zoom and Center and turn off Show Normals. The rest I leave as is.
3. In the separate General Options window, on the >OBJ tab, I set OBJ Import scale to 0.0229%, which tends to bring in objects at the right size - you will need to check this for the object you import. Because CS has been sped up in Modeler, you can now use sRGB, but I tend to leave it on Linear since I do all my texturing in Layout
4. For people with an AZERTY keyboard layout, it's very hard to get to the ] button, so I switch Swap Foreground and Background Layers to x.
5. I set up Viewmodes with them. Numpad 1 for Wireframe, 2 for Textured, 3 for Textured Wire (and 4 for Weightshade for the animators). Each is set to Single Pane and just Rendering Style. There's little point setting a name.

Layout:

1. In Options >Gen I turn off Left Button Item Select (since items can be selected with the MMB, if yours isn't nice to use leave it); FPS I change down to 24, which will speed up my render times and can be easily adapted to PAL or NTSC if needed; I turn on Play at Exact Rate. It's more important to get a good feel for how fast your animation is going and most scenes won't be so heavy that modern computers can't keep up. On >Display, I leave as is for the most part. Undocking the preview window is not something saved with your configs, only individual scenes; in >GL I turn on Show Fog Circles and make sure Shading Method is set to GLSL.
2. Still in Options, on the >Def tab I change the Default Frame Size to HDTV(1280x720); I don't touch the >Paths tab and on >CS I set to sRGB with the Quick Presets but turn off Convert 8-bit to Float since it makes images so much more memory-hungry. The OBJ tab I set Import to 0.0229 %, like Modeler but >Nav is fine as is.

B

Thanks for that Ben... Been using LW since 5.5 and still learning :)

This would be great advice to add to the manual.

spherical
05-12-2014, 03:56 PM
What I thought about doing was installing LW on the C drive as normal. Then set the LW Content directory on my secondary drive. Within the Content Directory create sub directories for Objects and Scenes along with other sub directories for the 3rd Party plugins, textures, and presets. I was trying to reduce the amount of items on the C drive. Is this a bad idea??

Then you should install LW on the secondary, too. Then, you can keep it all together and impact the %SystemDrive% even less.

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 04:08 PM

That's an excellent list to hang onto.

spherical
05-12-2014, 04:10 PM
One thing I do is create my own custom project folder STRUCTURES, kinda a leftover practice from before the more extensive CD functions existed, that include folders like "AE PROJECTS" and "IMAGES/CLIENT SUPPLIED" and "IMAGES/UTILITY IMAGES" and "OBJECTS/UTILITY OBJECTS", pre-loaded with various bitmaps and meshes I find convenient to have around.

I do pretty much the same. The LW Content goes into its own tree and My Content goes into /Projects, with sub-folders for each separate job that each have their own set of sub-folders for file types. I've thought of reorganizing some to consolidate frequently re-used models, IES lights, images, etc., but find that going out of the Project folder to be a pain, so just copy those assets into the proper folder within the Project and let the space be gobbled up as a price to pay for convenience and speed.

I name these "aaa_EmptyProject" so they're always at the top, so I can select and copy them as fast as possible. "zzz_EmptyProject" would work too.

Now there's an idea, along with the KB shortcut suggestions above, that should be archived in the Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139165-Basic-stuff-Lightwave-users-should-know-but-are-not-so-obvious) thread. This has gotten long enough that perhaps a link to it in there would suffice.

It'll take some time to re-program my brain and reflexes to use the c, v, z shortcuts where they work and not where they don't, but the "aaa_EmptyProject" idea is a forehead-slapper. Gonna do that Right Now Geeez, how many times have I individually created a new Project folder and all of the standard sub-directories since I began using LW at v5.6? D'oh!.

I just named the empty Project tree "0"; still sorts at the top and is the only single-character project, so stands out even more.

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 04:24 PM
It'll take some time to re-program my brain and reflexes to use the c, v, z shortcuts where they work and not where they don't, but the "aaa_EmptyProject" idea is a forehead-slapper. Gonna do that Right Now. Geeez, how many times have I individually created a new Project folder and all of the standard sub-directories since I began using LW at v5.6? D'oh!
:) Forehead-slapping is an occupational hazard when reading the Lightwave Forum. Ganesh knows, I do it about twice a day when someone mentions some brilliant yet obvious thing I woulda never thought of here.

++++
Anyone got a nifty hotkey recommendation for AXIS TRANSLATE?

(I changed "r" to ROVE TOOL-- I forget the default, but ROVE is really great for ....some specific task I was using it for just the other day....)

Snosrap
05-12-2014, 09:11 PM
What I thought about doing was installing LW on the C drive as normal. Then set the LW Content directory on my secondary drive. Within the Content Directory create sub directories for Objects and Scenes along with other sub directories for the 3rd Party plugins, textures, and presets. I was trying to reduce the amount of items on the C drive. Is this a bad idea?? I pretty much do that on my home setup and at work everybody has LW installed on their C drives and then all LW work is out on the network. Nobody saves content to their own drives. Works great - with no issues. The only thing we have done is set up personal plug-in directories on our C drives because some of the 3rd party plug-ins require licensing and that gets messy if your sharing a location.

BeeVee
05-13-2014, 07:52 AM
With regard to the Content Directory. As others have said, it can live anywhere. To ensure your content works for anyone don't use spaces or accented characters in object or scene names, layers or surfaces. (this is a problem for people not using a US keyboard mainly).

B

tburbage
05-13-2014, 10:59 PM
B

My preference is to avoid altering the installed location. Rather, under .NewTek/LightWave/ in my HOME dir, I create a hierarchy like this:

plugins/
presets/

and put all of the 3rd party things there (including LWCad plugins and presets, IFW2, etc.)

That way, you can install/remove/have multiple LW versions and they all refer to the same assets. If there is a plugin that has a cross-version incompatibility issue, it would have to be special-cased (but I don't use that many plugins so haven't run into that).

I deal with the custom menu issue by isolating all of my customizations to the LMB/MMB/RMB popup menus, and save those out as menu branches. Using custom tabs as LWCad does is certainly another way to go. I like to leave the standard menus as installed so I don't miss new things the devs intended to expose.

jeric_synergy
05-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Meh. I just make two folders "3rdPartyScripts", "3rdPartyPlugins", and copy them into the support/plugins folder in the application folder.

If there's a 32/64 issue, they're in totally different folders starting at the root, so no problem.

JohnMarchant
05-14-2014, 02:29 AM

General:

Modeler:

Layout:

B

Sound advice BeeVee, even i had not archived the Legacy Plugins.

BeeVee
05-14-2014, 03:37 AM
My preference is to avoid altering the installed location. Rather, under .NewTek/LightWave/ in my HOME dir, I create a hierarchy like this:

plugins/
presets/

and put all of the 3rd party things there (including LWCad plugins and presets, IFW2, etc.)

That way, you can install/remove/have multiple LW versions and they all refer to the same assets. If there is a plugin that has a cross-version incompatibility issue, it would have to be special-cased (but I don't use that many plugins so haven't run into that).

I deal with the custom menu issue by isolating all of my customizations to the LMB/MMB/RMB popup menus, and save those out as menu branches. Using custom tabs as LWCad does is certainly another way to go. I like to leave the standard menus as installed so I don't miss new things the devs intended to expose.

That's a good way to go as well, I guess the only reason I still do it with the folders in the install is because I've done it that way forever :). I'd still rather my students installed at C:\NewTek if for no other reason than for setting up Screamernet it's easier than having to explain about quotes and spaces, etc.

B

- - - Updated - - -

Meh. I just make two folders "3rdPartyScripts", "3rdPartyPlugins", and copy them into the support/plugins folder in the application folder.

If there's a 32/64 issue, they're in totally different folders starting at the root, so no problem.

Why two folders? After all, LightWave doesn't care if it's using a script or compiled plugin...

B

jeric_synergy
05-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Why two folders? After all, LightWave doesn't care if it's using a script or compiled plugin...
B
Yeah, but I do. Of course, I could have a 3rdParty/Scripts and a 3rdParty/Plugins, and just copy the 3rdParty folder. But there's already too deep a hierarchy.

spherical
05-14-2014, 11:17 PM
I just do:
/support/plugins/3rd
and
/support/plugins/scripts/LScript/3rd
-- with sub-directories arranged by author in each.

"3rd" is enough for me to recognize what it is and is in there.

I like to keep the scripts apart from the .p plugins but I guess that they all could be lumped into one /3rd directory. Have to give it a go.