PDA

View Full Version : Clone coloring?: using Sensei's technique

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm trying to color a set of clones (not instances) using Sensei's technique as depicted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHSPseh8hU

but not having much luck. I think I've got the network right, but the spheres in this screenie should be 3 different colors, and they're not.

I'm wondering if I'm somehow mixing up Item index with cloning index, but it's all so straightforward I'm not seeing an error. :bangwall:

(Ironically, I think I wrote an article on this, but it went down the memory hole with my blog....)(OK, that's not irony, it's just pathos.) :cry:

Thanks for any help.

Greenlaw
05-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I haven't seen the video but I just use the native Instance Info node and plug the Fixed Random output into the Input of a Gradient node. If you look in the 11.6 Addendum, there's a tutorial for technique on page 68.

G.

Greenlaw
05-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Whoops, nevermind. Sorry, I missed where you said you were not working with instances. :)

I'll take a look at Sensei's technique here--if it works, I can actually use that right now.

G.

jeric_synergy
05-10-2014, 01:17 AM
Yeah, they're straight clones. If the clone index is correctly outputting, there's no way those 2 spheres should be the same color.

Gonna check for updates...

EDIT: works FINE (although my TrueArts plugins did need an update). I had a Gradient key at 3.033 instead of 3.000-- makes all the difference in the world.

THANKS SENSEI!!!!