PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Spiderman 2 - a couple of fun CGI facts

JoePoe
05-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Just stumbled upon a little article about Amazing Spiderman 2.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/08/amazing-spider-man-2-fx/
(I'm sure there are much more in-depth discussions in industry mags/forums etc but thought I'd post anyway.)

If you don't want to read.... here are a couple of the standout facts:

1) A single frame of Spidey swinging in daylight could take up to 40 hours to render
2) 50 artist spent a full year recreating Times Square..... in prep for animation.
3) The character Rhino: 3.5 million polys.

.... and I have trouble getting through a speed model challenge :D.

mummyman
05-09-2014, 02:51 PM
That's just crazy... no wonder why places are going broke!

Markc
05-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Whoa....they are just mind blowing figures 8~

jeric_synergy
05-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I always figured that a certain few places have multiple copies in Hollywood: like there's probably 3 rentable "Oval Offices".

One you've modeled Times Square or downtown Chicago, can't VFX companies just rent that stuff out? Sure, TS changes, but not that rapidly.

jasonwestmas
05-11-2014, 08:48 AM
now all we need are 50 writers to collaborate to bring the story line and plots up to par with the CG. ;)

Danner
05-11-2014, 09:33 AM
I'll try not to spoil the plot if anybody hasn't seen it but the problem with the latest Spider Man movie was the bean counters insisted that the plot ties the movie to a sequel. After the electro issue is handled the movie should have ended and it would have been an ok movie. But then it just dragged on an on..

jasonwestmas
05-11-2014, 10:00 AM
I was disappointed with the character relationship development so I was glad the movie went further, and then I was disappointed again when I found out what happend with Harry. And then the sad and depressing finale and spiderman's obvious recovery from that. It's usually more about "how" it was done that makes a good movie, I have no problem feeling sad after watching something.

I do think that the ending should have been the first half of the third movie however. Wasn't enough time left in the film to develop that.

Mr. Wilde
05-11-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm wondering who provided all the billboard advertisement animations? Did they get those from the actual companies, or did they have to create those from scratch as well?

Emmanuel
05-12-2014, 12:07 AM
I thought 3D scanning was the way to do environments nowadays ?

bazsa73
05-12-2014, 03:36 AM

or a google car :)

BeeVee
05-12-2014, 05:28 AM
The one thing that impressed me with the new Spider-Man film was the fact that up until now we've always had long shots of spidey swinging between buildings. To actually ride on his back was exhilarating.

B

bobakabob
05-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Looking forward to seeing this film... But the studios are fast running out of "reboot" options. There are so many good stories from the 60s / 70s alone. It's odd that writers seem to be stalled at the starting post with endless "origin" recycles. The new Fantastic Four could be so good if it just tapped into the original Lee Kirby awesomeness from issue 50 onwards :)

Dexter2999
05-12-2014, 12:25 PM
They did.

"A small crew traveled to New York to carry out LIDAR scans of Times Square. 'It was an enormous acquisition of geometry and textures and hi-res Sony F65 video footage to try and get as much material for the texture painters to work with,' says Chen. 'It looks like we took photographic stills and mapped it onto the cards around the space, but because of the camera moves and choreography of the fight, it necessitated geometry for that, so it becomes an invisible backdrop to the fight between Spider-Man and Electro. That sequence was 300 shots and took a full year for the crew to do'"

Article here.
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/super-charged-vfx-the-amazing-spider-man-2/