PDA

View Full Version : EIDE Controller for video or RAID controller?

WannaBToasting
11-21-2003, 04:12 PM
When building a VT[2] host system, what do I need for an EIDE-based video drive system?

a fast *controller* card, or a fast *RAID* CONTROLLER card for EIDE drives?

(I understand that SCSI-U160/320 is what NewTek recommends -- but I'm trying to at least get *started* doing something with VT[2].)

Also, what are some make/model/street prices for some popular cards for EIDE video use on VT? I'm looking at 4 W.D. EIDE 7200RPM/8MB drives for video.

Thanks, for your replies!
Peter [email protected]

WannaBToasting
11-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Hey, I should have asked:
Is there a link (even if from an archive here at NewTek's VT discussion forum) I should be studying, to learn of successes in the use of EIDE drives in a RAID configuration on VT systems?

Strangely, I haven't heard whether or not the 3ware EIDE
cards that are employed, are really EIDE hardware RAID controllers -- or just controllers. Please help, Thanks!

Peter G

[email protected]

Paul Lara
11-21-2003, 08:46 PM
If you're going to insist on IDE (not recommended by NewTek) then you should stick with disk controllers from 3Ware (http://www.3ware.com/)

mindseye
12-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Hi there...

see below

mindseye
12-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi there...

we have used the 3ware 6400 and had pretty good success with it raiding 4 drives together. It was stable. We did have problems with the drives we had (IBM). But that was no fault of the 3ware card. We are going to be experimenting with firewire 800 drives so we are selling our 3ware 6400 card. I'm not sure what to ask for it but I think they are still getting $400 bux or so for them new. Let me know if you are interested. We are also
going to be selling an Adaptec 39160 ultra 160 card and a couple of maxtor scsi drives.... one ultra 160 and one 320. I can get the specifics for you if you need them.