PDA

View Full Version : Scale "type" motion, but w/o sizing change:AKA "the ol' carousel problem again.."

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 11:01 AM
(1)thanks for all the help everybody (yayyyy, community!), and 2) didn't realize how out of practice I was....)

I'd like to EASILY animate a rotating AND transforming group of elements (think carousel horses converging on their platform), that is,

I'd like to use the "parent to null" technique of rotating a group of object,
PLUS have them transform laterally.

SCALING would be the perfect control here, but I want the group objects to remain the same size.

Instancing would probably work, with the null rotating and scaling an invisible (points only?) object that would define the instances (if instances do not inherit the scaling of their controller), but each of the otherwise identical group objects are different specific colors.

What would be the least head-achey way to approach this? Perhaps use the instancing system with the 7 or so different colors (no duplicates) in the list-- that is, the list is only used once? (I've never had to use the instancing system in any significant.... ok, in ANY way.) :stumped:

Thanks, all. :hey:

objuan
05-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Mayhaps you can scale the parent null down, and conversely scale each object's scale up to counteract the parent scale. I forget how exactly this math works, it's not as easy as it seems like it should be, but I got it working once a long time ago for some icons on a map in Flash that you could scale.

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Mayhaps you can scale the parent null down, and conversely scale each object's scale up to counteract the parent scale. I forget how exactly this math works, it's not as easy as it seems like it should be, but I got it working once a long time ago for some icons on a map in Flash that you could scale.
Thanks for commenting, but that's precisely the kind of thing nodes should allow us to avoid.

I've got it to work since I posted: essentially you can pin an object to another object's points. When you scale the point object, the pinned objects move along, but remain the same size.

All credit goes to Rebel Hill and his node tutorials, now available for free on the YouTubez, so buy something else from him. (I do NOT regret that purchase at all.)

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Here's an example: look in the motion modifiers to see how it's done. Two examples of non-inheritance: no rotation & no scaling.

You'll need the free DPKit plugins, plus the free TrueArts nodal library (thanks, Denis, Sensei!).

Slartibartfast
05-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Here's an example: look in the motion modifiers to see how it's done. Two examples of non-inheritance: no rotation & no scaling.

You'll need the free DPKit plugins, plus the free TrueArts nodal library (thanks, Denis, Sensei!).

Not at the computer now but...
What if you make a master null (parent) surrounded by seven child nulls. For each mesh object- hit motion options and check "same as item" on position x and z ("zed" :D). The item of course should be set to corresponding child null. Then animate rotation and scale of the master null.

jeric_synergy
05-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Sure, I think that would work. BUT one thing that was very interesting, and VERY surprising to me, was that one of the nodes (Point Info?) automagically chose the correct point index for me, so clones of the heirarchy (the ball and swoosh are 2 objects, the ball the child of the swoosh) automagically correctly attached themselves to the relevant point.

That was pretty sweet. And automatic, in constrast to doing it thru the Motion Panel. And any practice I get with nodes is a win.

jeric_synergy
05-14-2014, 10:32 AM
It occurs to me that going the points route versus the null route is a bit more expandable and flexible: for instance, if I wanted 8 / 6 instead of 7 clones, re-making the placement object (disk) is trivial, whereas with the nulls I'd have to move EVERY null to compensate for the new addition/subtraction.

Also, with points the clones will follow MORPHING, so I got that goin' for me too.

Just sayin'.