PDA

View Full Version : Send to AE script error

Sebasvideo
05-09-2014, 08:03 AM
I had posted about this, but I can't find the thread now, although I don't think I had any replies to that. Sometimes, when sending something to AE using the Send to AE button, I get this error: "Unable to execute script at line 57. position_property is undefined"

This is an error generated by AE as soon as Lightwave switches to it. Usually it works fine, but this happened quite a few times. Any ideas what could this be?

Thanks

raw-m
05-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Check there's no "special characters" in your layer or null, it was my issue anyway. I would have thought it easy for the programmers to make these characters safe when going back and forth, perhaps it's just been overlooked(?).

ernpchan
05-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Submit a bug report. Adding a regex isn't hard.

Sebasvideo
05-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Check there's no "special characters" in your layer or null, it was my issue anyway. I would have thought it easy for the programmers to make these characters safe when going back and forth, perhaps it's just been overlooked(?).

Sorry, I totally forgot about replying to this. In my case, there were no special characters, just a space, but then the cameras I export just fine also have a space, so that shoudn't be a problem. It wasn't a big deal since this was a static object so I just calculated the distance and entered it manually in the Element 3D properties.

objuan
05-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Where is this "Send to AE button" you are talking about? I had done a bit of research into passing cameras between LW and AE a while ago, but all of the free options I had looked into seemed very difficult at best.

Any tips on the easiest ways to get LW and AE cameras syncing up would be much appreciated...

Sebasvideo
05-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Where is this "Send to AE button" you are talking about? I had done a bit of research into passing cameras between LW and AE a while ago, but all of the free options I had looked into seemed very difficult at best.

Any tips on the easiest ways to get LW and AE cameras syncing up would be much appreciated...

In the I/O tab. You have to select the item that you want to export, and preferably have the AE project that you want it on open, otherwise it will just send it to a new project.

objuan
05-24-2014, 12:30 AM
!!!AWESOME!!!

Who knew there was an I/O tab up top there right in front of me?

Thanks!

Any easy way to bring camera from AE project into LW?

DesertRat
05-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Objuan, check the latest LightWave addendum under Interchange Tools> After Effects Interchange. "LightWave 11.5 introduces a bidirectional link between LightWave and Adobe After Effects CS5 and higher. This link can deal with cameras, lights and nulls..."

Greenlaw
05-24-2014, 12:07 PM
LW3DG's Cody Burke made a good introductory video about this feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Bz0RiS5o4

Going from AE to LW is very easy Just let the 3D camera tracker in AE do its thing, select the camera and then choose Send Selected Layer to LightWave. (The video has more specific detials and steps.)

The only 'downside' to this system that you can only send one item/layer at a time, which can get tedious in some situations. But the LW-AE workflow is easy to use and usually works like a charm.

Lately, I've had to do something kooky for the production I'm on: I'll camera track a shot in AE, send the camera and nulls data to LightWave, export an FBX, bring the FBX into Fusion, do some 3D multiplane compositing and 3D particle stuff there, render the particles as their own layer and bring those frames into AE to apply certain filter effects to simulate fluids, and then bring that element back into Fusion for final compositing. After the job is done, I might do a walkthrough video to demonstrate, although I'm not sure anybody else will be crazy enough to want to work that way. :p

Going back to the original post, I saw that error a couple of times too, when going from LightWave to AE. In my case, I think it was an item name issue, although I don't remember exactly what that problem was. It might have been that there were multiple cameras with the same name but I'm not 100% sure that was the problem and can't check right now. Anyway, maybe you can check for this in your scene file.

Hope this helps.

G.

ernpchan
05-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Lately, I've had to do something kooky for the production I'm on: I'll camera track a shot in AE, send the camera and nulls data to LightWave, export an FBX, bring the FBX into Fusion, do some 3D multiplane compositing and 3D particle stuff there, render the particles as their own layer and bring those frames into AE to apply certain filter effects to simulate fluids, and then bring that element back into Fusion for final compositing. After the job is done, I might do a walkthrough video to demonstrate, although I'm not sure anybody else will be crazy enough to want to work that way. :p

Heh, I love workflows like this. I'm used to the chaos of out of the box thinking. When people ask for a pipeline I just tell them the pipeline is to get the shot done. I've seen the opposite setup where if a group can't lock down the process to very rigid steps, they almost declare the problem impossible to solve or deny any creative flexibility.

Greenlaw
05-25-2014, 12:38 PM
...When people ask for a pipeline I just tell them the pipeline is to get the shot done.

Lol! Yup. For most of my career in film/tv production, I've been attached to a small team of artists with limited resources and very little time, so our focus tends to be 'whatever it takes to get the job done.' Another example: the other day I needed various particle simulations and they all had to have very specific behaviors and qualities (blood, fire, water, sparks, slow motion, fast motion, etc.) I would up using Particular in AE, ParticleFX in LightWave, and Fusion 2D and 3D Particles--not because I wanted to make things complicated but but because it was the only way I knew to get what I needed as quickly as possible. Each of these systems have their own strengths and weaknesses, so I took advantage of the strengths of each to get the result I needed.

And it worked. Whew! :)

G.