PDA

View Full Version : Modeler to Layout Link Sometimes Works, Sometimes Doesn't

JBT27
05-09-2014, 04:15 AM
I might have asked this before, and it's not about the Hub, which I don't use, but I'm finding once again that the incredibly useful link between Modeler and Layout, has failed. I can coax it to work by temporarily swtiching the Hub on, sending an object to Layout, quitting everything, deactivating the Hub. But a couple of launches later, the link is gone again.

Difficult to bug report it, because without changing anything, sometimes it will work - not like there is a setting for this (I don't think).

Or is there? Can I force it to work, all the time, short of constantly ditching configs?

Thanks.

Julian.

Ryan Roye
05-09-2014, 04:41 AM
The LWL/LWM interchange tools have always been a bit flakey for me as well, but as you say they are hard to pin down and report in a meaningful way due to how erratic it can be; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Many of the bugs revolving around when the hub breaks aren't easily reproducible which makes it frustrating.

When it doesn't work, I either re-load the modified object (using replace object) or restart the application.

geo_n
05-09-2014, 04:55 AM
I think he said he isn't using the hub. Some people disable it.
I have no problem with the hub though and would rather have it on so I can edit in both directions.

JBT27
05-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Thanks - yes, Replace Object is what I resort to, but the fast workflow of hitting Save in Modeler and seeing an update in Layout was a major boost on some jobs. Shame it's not a consistently working feature - it needs to be because whilst Modeler and Layout are separate, anything at all that improves the flow between them is a bonus.

Julian.

JBT27
05-09-2014, 06:34 AM
I think he said he isn't using the hub. Some people disable it.
I have no problem with the hub though and would rather have it on so I can edit in both directions.

Yes, the Hub is disabled currently. An old bias from flakey Hub days - frankly, if it's working better these days, I'm inclined to retry it. I just have some bad memories of working with it :)

Julian.

Dodgy
05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
I've had a flakey hub since 11(?) I think. Before that I found it solid, but now I have problems where Modeler will sometimes list objects from the previous loaded scene in it's drop down list, or no objects at all, and syncing between layout and modeler is erratic, sometimes working for days, sometimes I have to keep restarting both to keep them in sync. Very annoying.

Hail
05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Yes, the Hub is disabled currently. An old bias from flakey Hub days - frankly, if it's working better these days, I'm inclined to retry it. I just have some bad memories of working with it :)

Julian.

when lw is running without the hub for both modeler and layout, you can still edit an object in modeler and have it update in layout.
Just save after the edit in modeler and then it will update in layout.
So it works pretty the same as running the hub except without the hitches and gotchas of the hub.

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Just another hand waving in the "HUB troubles" club-- as seen, I can't even GET Hub to start non-manually, and I LIKE the Hub.

JBT27
05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
when lw is running without the hub for both modeler and layout, can still edit an object in modeler and have it update in layout.
Just save after the edit in modeler and then it will update in layout.
So it works pretty the same as running the hub except without the hitches and gotchas of the hub.

Yes, I know - but this is the bit for me that is not working ... again! The non-hub update system is great, when it works.

Julian.

Hail
05-09-2014, 01:30 PM
That's very strange
Works fine here without any problems

JBT27
05-09-2014, 03:08 PM
It's not the first time it's done this. As I mentioned, I can use the Hub temporarily to force it to restart, but it can randomly lose the connection again soon after. Annoying. There is no way to control it being on or off either, I don't think, although now I mention it, I think there is a switch to completely disable it, via the config switches in the shortcut. I wonder if disabling, and then removing that switch would persuade it? It really is useful - I need this feature all day everyday!

Julian.

spherical
05-09-2014, 04:14 PM
EDITED to prevent future confusion from my brainfart (See post farther down):

The -0 switch disables the hub and content folder monitoring takes over. The -i switch disables everything, including content folder monitoring.

Questions to ask:
Are all of the apps set to Run As Administrator?
Is the install location in /Program Files or /Program Files (x86)? Permissions problems abound when installed into these directories.
Was the installer executable run As Administrator via the cursor menu selection; not just you logged in as Administrator?
Does disabling temporarily either/or/both AV and Firewall cure the problem?

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 04:46 PM
:cry:

FWIW: I thought the -i switch DISabled content folder monitoring.

spherical
05-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Just checked the v10 docs and it says:

The ‘isolate’ flag (‘-i’) will completely disable all IPC mechanisms
(Hub and CommandIPC), leaving the application isolated from all
other product actions.

So, I'm mis-remebering again. Gotta get that outta my head.

Greenlaw
05-09-2014, 05:24 PM
For me, transfer gets a little shakey if I have VPR active in Layout. When I'm working in a heavy scene, I try to remember to switch it off before jumping between Layout and Modeler. Usually, it works fine for me if I'm not using VPR at the same time.

G.

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 05:57 PM
??? Is it a race issue? Timing, that is.

(For non-programmers, the term "race issue" means bugs that arise because of two (or more!) processes updating in a way that negates/prevents/otherwise fubars their functionality.)

JBT27
05-10-2014, 03:52 AM
EDITED to prevent future confusion from my brainfart (See post farther down):

The -0 switch disables the hub and content folder monitoring takes over. The -i switch disables everything, including content folder monitoring.

Questions to ask:
Are all of the apps set to Run As Administrator?
Is the install location in /Program Files or /Program Files (x86)? Permissions problems abound when installed into these directories.
Was the installer executable run As Administrator via the cursor menu selection; not just you logged in as Administrator?
Does disabling temporarily either/or/both AV and Firewall cure the problem?

It's in /Program Files - only got 64bit installed. Yes, installed and run As Administrator. Not tried the firewall, so will. But 11.6.2 and many previous versions that had this worked fine on occasion, but then didn't, like now. Also, like Greenlaw, I have found that heavy scenes will kill it too, though not noticed about VPR being active.

Julian.

spherical
05-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Might want to consider installing 11.6.3 in a location other than /Program Files then see if the problem goes away.