PDA

View Full Version : lw content forum area idea

vonpietro
05-09-2014, 12:28 AM
Hi lightwavers,

Had an idea for a new forum section,

how about a object request section where people post requests for 3d objects,
and fellow lightwavers practice their skills by building these objects for people. Basically its a mini modelling group of people donating their time to help fellow lightwavers.
kinda like a 3d object challenge, but with this way people get some help with objects they might need for projects ect.
objects built for this area, can then be added to the content dir of future releases of lightwave, or whatever people decide.
new modelers can work on their version - and get tips from veteran modelers.
similar to gallery, but its a request area where bunches of people work on a model.

I was thinking of the idea because it would be a good way to create assets for lighwave projects, maybe newtek might want to set up a short section where people build for the short.
Its the next step from speed modeling challenge.

or

lightwave content dir forum area- people donate objects, scenes, hairstyles, presets, hv settings, architecture stuff for the lightwave content dir in future releases.

just an idea

ernpchan
05-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Hm, I'll play devil's advocate...

You want a section for people to solicit for free material?

prometheus
05-09-2014, 02:25 AM
well..intention is good, but I donīt think people will chime in on that.

People already post free material and everyone can contribute to lightwave content, if the lightwave team likes it and thinks itīs supposed to be in there..and everyone can share and post free models here.

Itīs another thing to create an area for specific project requests, it takes time do set up scenes or building models, and I donīt think anyone in general will do that for free,
Makes little sense when someone else can use your hard work for payed income or projects etc.
collaboration could be around in here for some projects now and then, but a content forum Idea? Based upon request..donīt think so, a content forum freely for everyone to upload what they want without request might work, but there are such areas around the net...foundation3d for example.

Michael

bobakabob
05-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Foundation 3d has loads of generous members who regularly share their work and I'm quite sure members are open to requests / challenges.

vonpietro
05-10-2014, 12:48 AM
heh, i guess a 3d object request area is a bit much to ask for, but i wasn't thinking of pay when i opened up the idea, more for shorts or stories... its just that for me at least, i'm so not a character modeler, but hard body stuff i'm pretty good at. wishful thinking. getting a character made might be the difference of making a short or not.

as for an offshoot of this topic, the extra forum area might be called Projects - for ongoing projects that people start. like little shorts and stuff

future lightwavers benefit from projects that have focus in bettering the lightwave experience (i guess thats part of what i was thinking when i started the post too). I've heard about how difficult it is to use fiberfx. Maybe a project to make a library of hair stuff, would be a good candidate for a request in a project forum. If lots of people worked on the hair setup project, we'd have better hair for everyone. =)

If newtek had an ongoing project where people on the forum could participate in, that might be a speed modeling on steroids, because each model would contribute to a huge scene thats being put together.
I was thinking something grand when i started the post - Blender is getting organized with its huge blender projects. They have a huge following. Maybe lightwave needs something like that too. The more skilled lightwavers out there the better =)

i'll check out foundation 3d. thanks for the info on those guys.

Dexter2999
05-10-2014, 12:56 AM
This and gallery suggestions could possibly entertained if they migrated the Lightwave section OUT of the Newtek general forums and gave it a dedicated one over at Lightwave3d.com

The Newtek forums are bloated as is.

wesleycorgi
05-10-2014, 07:02 AM
This and gallery suggestions could possibly entertained if they migrated the Lightwave section OUT of the Newtek general forums and gave it a dedicated one over at Lightwave3d.com

The Newtek forums are bloated as is.
I wouldn't mind seeing this on the LW3D site and becoming a resource like the Sketchup 3d warehouse.

robertoortiz
05-10-2014, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this on the LW3D site and becoming a resource like the Sketchup 3d warehouse.

From your lips to God's Ears