PDA

View Full Version : LWM backdrop bug??? Once saved, didn't want to return

jeric_synergy
05-08-2014, 10:23 PM
OK, trying to use the SAVE BACKGROUND (mis)feature (why doesn't the background save with the object???????), and got a new behaviour:

Saved the backdrop.
Restarted LWM
Loaded the backdrop config, didn't display in the correct vuport.

The image loaded correctly.
It displays in the OTHER vuports.
It will NOT display in the vuport to which it was originally assigned.

Here's a screenie:

jwiede
05-08-2014, 10:34 PM
OK, trying to use the SAVE BACKGROUND (mis)feature (why doesn't the background save with the object???????), and got a new behaviour:
The image loaded correctly.
It displays in the OTHER vuports.
It will NOT display in the vuport to which it was originally assigned.

Agreed the behavior seen looks buggy, have you tried temp. replacing your configs just to see if they're involved?

As for why background art isn't saved with model, probably based on notion that LWO only contain mesh and surface assets, where reference art would be like added metadata. That said, it sure would make life a LOT more convenient if it DID stuff such art into a new "art reference" chunk or such, wouldn't it?

Fog the bug, maybe add a feature request w.r.t. background art saving with object? Can't hurt, I guess.

spherical
05-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Just tried it with 11.6.2 and works as expected. Correct images loaded into two viewports. I'm not sure I'd want to have BG saved in the LWO. Only use it when modeling. Sending that useless data to Layout would be a waste of resources.

jeric_synergy
05-08-2014, 11:43 PM
1) Pilot error: my bad--the vuport had independent visibility turned on, and for some ungodly reason, background was disabled. --IRONICALLY, just now I tried to use the DISABLE BACKDROP feature (alt+D), and it wouldn't work. Oy&wth?

2) spherical, the image data doesn't need to be saved in the LWO, it can just have a file reference. Just like a Surface. Total overhead=length of path name+filename, MAX (since it should default to the content directory).

Andy Webb
05-09-2014, 03:52 AM
2) spherical, the image data doesn't need to be saved in the LWO, it can just have a file reference. Just like a Surface. Total overhead=length of path name+filename, MAX (since it should default to the content directory).[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that in a very early version of LW this used to happen, it was so long ago though I might be mistaken.

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Andy, I WISH!!! :( TMK this has never been the case.

Early early versions of LW seemed to be going in a more referential direction, with motion files stored externally for example, but I think the devs quickly saw how that would be problematical. There's some advantages, but etc etc.

Saving a reference to the damn Background Config would be hugely convenient: Modeling backdrops would load AUTOMATICALLY. Also, spherical, it could always be OPTIONAL. Better to give the user an option (to have overly large files) than deny them convenience. That was Worley's stance: he said in the DOX that "this renders heinously slow", but gave users the option.

The inconvenience currently is exacerbated by the weakness of the Content Directory system: I'm never quite sure which inconvenient directory I'm going to be routed to, if I've saved the Key config for instance.

Andy Webb
05-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Well I'm with you on this one, it certainly would be more useful for the backdrop to load automatically.

I'm forever having to reload backgrounds, it's very annoying. :(

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Well I'm with you on this one, it certainly would be more useful for the backdrop to load automatically.

I'm forever having to reload backgrounds, it's very annoying. :(
Indeed it is: and having to hunt down the config/background files every time just makes it MORE annoying. Minimal file impact to include a reference.

Hey DEVS: each entity LW can save needs its own REMEMBERED path: I don't want to search for backgrounds where I just saved my key configs or my menu configs or my render or a PFX file or an object or a motion path or a....

Rob Powers: it's low hanging fruit, man! Niggling details that make it seem like the app is never quite polished.

spherical
05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
As long as it's a pointer, that's fine. Hidden problem there is, use the object in another project tree; the link is broken if it's a relative path unless you go through the trouble of copying the .cfg. More inconvenience. If all of the backgrounds used in all projects are stored in a common directory and pointed to with absolute paths, that problem goes away.

jeric_synergy
05-09-2014, 05:55 PM
As long as it's a pointer, that's fine. Hidden problem there is, use the object in another project tree; the link is broken if it's a relative path unless you go through the trouble of copying the .cfg.
1) As you've already pointed out, backdrops are used mostly in the modeling stage. If you're using it in a SECOND project, most likely you're done with modeling at that level.

2) The linking issue is the same as we've had all along with ANY image map, so it's well within standard LW workflows.

spherical
05-10-2014, 03:15 AM
1) As you've already pointed out, backdrops are used mostly in the modeling stage. If you're using it in a SECOND project, most likely you're done with modeling at that level.

You'd like to think that. Once this is implemented, I'll wait for your post on why your backdrop isn't loading after you HAVEN'T WORKED WITH THAT PARTICULAR MODEL in a while and used it on ANOTHER PROJECT. :) Besides, "most likely you're done" is almost never the case. :D

jeric_synergy
05-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Spherical, it's the same exact problem as "why isn't my texture map loading", so I don't see an issue.