PDA

View Full Version : HUB not starting on new install of 11.6.3, no alterations

jeric_synergy
05-08-2014, 03:03 PM
The HUB! It's so mysterious.

Anyway: NEW untouched, unaltered install of 11.6.3. Launching LW/LWM does not launch the HUB at all. HUB will launch if dedicated shortcut created, but doesn't do anything.

HUB config file points correctly at 11.6.3/bin folder.

W7, no anti-virus, firewall directed to allow HUB access.

So, what's up with that?

spherical
05-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Setting each application in Compatibility tab to: Run as Administrator?

You could try opening LWHUB11.CFG or LWHUB11-64.CFG from another version and copy in the two lines:

ProcessName 1 LWLayout C:\[path-to]\Lightwave\11.6.2\bin\Layout.exe C:\Users\[username]\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2 C:\Users\[username]\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2
ProcessName 1 LWModeler C:\[path-to]\\Lightwave\11.6.2\bin\Modeler.exe C:\Users\[username]\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2 C:\Users\[username]\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2

Then edit to point to the 11.6.3 location. Launch the Hub and use the cursor menu to launch Layout and Modeler to see what happens. That will tell you if there is communication between them at all.

jeric_synergy
05-08-2014, 06:06 PM
If I launch HUB manually, then LW, I see the MODELER button in Layout, but I get a "can't launch process" message if I click on it.

And anyway, I'd much prefer that HUB gets started automagically. :(

Just to stave off the inevitable question: NO, I didn't add "-0" to the command line in the shortcut icon on the desktop.

(W7)

PS: I note that LW and LWM seem to be pointing at different Content Directories too....

spherical
05-09-2014, 01:37 AM
It was a debugging step, not a general way of working necessarily. I want to find out if the sections are talking to each other at all. Editing in the lines and then firing Hub, then firing the applications from it would say something, one way or another. Righ tnow, it isn't working and yu have to swap out different things to narrow it down.

To the PS: Then it looks like they're not.

You say "firewall directed to allow Hub access". What about the other two apps? There should be rules for all three.

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 08:20 PM
REinstalled 11.6.3 taking care to INSTALL as Administrator. Same behaviour.

IF I start HUB, then LW/LWM, I get the F12 button and whatnot. If I don't start HUB manually, I do not.

Not only that, but if I start HUB, I cannot launch LW/LWM from the HUB, as one is supposed to be able to do. :(

Feh.

Here's my LWHUB11-64.cfg file:

TimeOptionsIndex 1
ProcessName 1 LWLayout "E:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.3\bin\Layout.exe" C:\Users\Eric\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3 C:\Users\Eric\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3
ProcessName 1 LWModeler "E:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.3\bin\Modeler.exe" C:\Users\Eric\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3 C:\Users\Eric\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3
AppConfig 0 0 FrameSliderLabel 0
HelpWebSite http://help.lightwave3d.com
WindowShape 10 114 387 1148 454
DialogPosition 630 499
FileRequesterServer $Default
ColorPickerServer $LightWaveColorPicker

spherical
05-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Ok, just to be clear. INSTALL as Administrator is you logged in as Administrator and installing or you logged in as Administrator and setting the INSTALLER to Run As Administrator, too?

This really sounds like an AV and/or Firewall issue. Mine runs fine and communicates fine, as apparently do most others. There's something unique to your system that the 11.6.3 version doesn't work well with. Perhaps it's the "Licensing Fix" that is in 11.6.3.

jeric_synergy
05-12-2014, 11:55 PM
I am BOTH logged on as an Administrator AND I made sure I ran the installer as an Administrator (which apparently is not a given).

No AV installed, AND it's not a comm problem (works if started manually), except in that whatever starts the HUB when you start LW/LWM isn't happening.

IOW, it's an auto-start problem. What bits cause HUB to fire up?

spherical
05-13-2014, 12:36 AM
Except you said above that you can't launch the other two apps when you start the Hub manually, so it's NOT working. Why do you keep shouting various words?

jeric_synergy
05-13-2014, 01:10 AM
Let me clarify: they don't launch from the HUB. I can launch them from their shortcuts.

And hey: Tourette's.

spherical
05-13-2014, 03:22 AM
Let me clarify: they don't launch from the HUB. I can launch them from their shortcuts.

So inter-app comm isn't working. That you have the correct lines in the Hub config file and that they don't launch from it tells you something.