PDA

View Full Version : Image Viewer shows white image with larger frames

vncnt
05-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Is it normal that Image Viewer shows a white image when I uprez the frame size?
It remains white, even when increasing the number of Segments.
The render output is fine.

Also weird: when I increase vertical frame resolution from 4096x4096 to 4096x8192 and apply an Aspect to correct the pixel-aspect with a factor 2.0, Photoshop (CS2) reads the RGBAFP *.exr and applies a "Pixel aspect ratio correction for preview purposes only" but squeezes it even further.
Something seems wrong with the pixel aspect value in the RGBAFP EXR file.
When saving to a JPG file, Photoshop does not recognize the pixel aspect.

BTW I'm using the (4K x) 8K resolution to remove the aliasing from strong contrasts such as the lines in this surface: 121805
This works a lot better than using a HD resolution in combination with Adaptive Sampling and a lower Threshold setting.

Using a 64bit PC with 16.383 MB.

spherical
05-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Unsure what the 16.383 MB pertains to. When Image Viewer does that, it's usually an out of memory condition. IF you have a bunch of test renders previous, it will barf at some point because it keeps them all in memory. Closing it flushes the image cache and returns the memory to the pool. Usually, when doing a final render of something large, I turn Image Viewer off and just render to disk with an F10.

Danner
05-09-2014, 01:23 AM
Might be a graphics card VRAM limitation and not system RAM one. Aliasin on high contrast can sometimes be solved by selecting "limit dynamic range" in the render tab.

vncnt
05-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Might be a graphics card VRAM limitation and not system RAM one. Aliasin on high contrast can sometimes be solved by selecting "limit dynamic range" in the render tab.

Interesting.
The videocard on this machine is old: 2GB Quadro FX 3500.
I'm still using this particular Win7/64 computer for some projects because the two Xeon 2.33GHz processors are not that bad.

I get even better results with Sampling Pattern NOT set to Low-Discrepancy.