PDA

View Full Version : Small increment rotation in Modeler (Will this dream ever come true?)

DanD
05-05-2014, 09:25 AM
It's 2014... when can we have small incremental rotation in Modeler. It's not too much to ask is it? I think a programmer should be able to bang this out in about 20 minutes. You invoke the rotate command then you hold down <cntrl> to invoke decimal degrees. I know what you're thinking... "But there's the new Axis Rotate!" Way too clunky would be my answer. You shouldn't have to enter into a special mode for something as simple as small incremental rotation to happen. I have a current project where I have to rotate a bajillion objects to specific locations and I could really use it now. Okay, rant over.. I really have to stop looking a blender.

Andy Webb
05-05-2014, 10:23 AM
+1

Mr_Q
05-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Is this not what I do when I activate rotate? I begin by sliding the mouse to achieve my desired start angle. Then UNDO, go to numeric and punch in tiny values, as tiny as I want and simply hit APPLY. Invert the number to do the opposite direction. I even do this in the Perspective View when I need off-axis rotations.

Snosrap
05-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Yeah - it's lame!

DanD
05-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Yes, Mr_Q, that's standard operating procedure, lol. It's not bad when you have to do it once or twice but when you have to do it over and over it's a real pain in the *****. I did manage to make user command that will rotate .1 degree on the heading and mapped it to a hotkey. There's one for -.1 degree also. But, it doesn't take into account that you would want to only rotate your current selection and winds up rotating everything. I messed with the rove tool and that is just as clunky as the axis rotate tool. Rotate is probably one of the top 3 tools that you will use in any given modeling session and the fact that this issue hasn't been dealt with is just baffling. Okay, done venting again.

JoePoe
05-05-2014, 12:24 PM
How fine do you want it?

Giving the geometry a weight map of 10% and used as the rotation falloff will give you 10ths, a weight of 1% will give you fine control to two decimal places.
So at 1% weight a rotation by mouse (or numerics) of 1557 is in reality 15.57.

Yeah, you have to make a weight map, but as far as workarounds go....... :)

Edit: don't get me wrong, an in-tool option would be great.

DanD
05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Joe. Will have to try that. Sounds like it'll do what I'm looking for!

Sensei
05-06-2014, 09:24 AM
See Weight Polygon Groups interactive tool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1DvdkvvfAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILKNEB63vGE

Together with Rotate with Falloff will do what you need very quickly.

I have a current project where I have to rotate a bajillion objects to specific locations and I could really use it now.

aSkeptic
05-14-2014, 09:41 AM
When I have to do this, I use the numeric panel, set the rotation to a small value (like .1 degrees) and then keep pressing the ok button till I get the result I need...

Andy Webb
05-14-2014, 10:18 AM
When I have to do this, I use the numeric panel, set the rotation to a small value (like .1 degrees) and then keep pressing the ok button till I get the result I need...

But you shouldn't need to do that!