PDA

View Full Version : Bones

SODAPLAY
11-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Please help me.
I want to animate a character I made.
In layout I incerted bones.
Now when I try to rotate a hand bone it rotates but not a characters hand.
How can I make when I'm rotating a hand bone my characters hand rotates as well? In other words how to incert a bone into flesh?

Thank you.

- SODA

Libra-75
11-21-2003, 02:44 PM
You have to activate the bones in bone properties. ;)

SODAPLAY
11-21-2003, 02:47 PM
I did. But its still doesn't. Do I need to add null?

SODAPLAY
11-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Anyone?? Help?

This is what I do I have a character, now in layout I insert bones, do parent-child thing, activate everything, create a scene. And I'm able to move bones, but the character doesn't move.

I need help. Thank you.

- SODA

DigiLusionist
11-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Are you setting keyframes?

SODAPLAY
11-21-2003, 11:13 PM
What do you meen? I didn't even start animating, because of that.
If you mean am I setting keyframes, then yes I do it at the end, press enter and set it for all items.
Or you mean setting keyframe 1 for 1 bone, keyframe 2 for second...etc?

- SODA

DigiLusionist
11-22-2003, 12:56 PM
It sounds like you haven't rested the bones yet, then.

Select each bone then hit the 'r' key. This will activate the bone.

Open up the Bones Panel (hit the 'p' key). If you have weight maps applied to the mesh, select each bone and set it to the desired weight map.

SODAPLAY
11-22-2003, 04:00 PM
I did the "R" activation thing. But I didn't do weight maps. Maybe because of that, when I do "R" to all bones my character just becomes unrecognizeble, like a twirl of poligons.. :( I did the animation through skelegons converted into bones in layout.
Thanks for help.

- SODA

hrgiger
11-22-2003, 04:38 PM
You have to hit r for every one of your bones and your character should return to normal.

DigiLusionist
11-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Soda, did you happen to change your object's orientation prior to activating the bones? If so, change the Heading of the mesh back to zero. Perhaps that's the problem.

SODAPLAY
11-22-2003, 05:08 PM
I did hit each one of them.
The thing is that bone appear on Z scale. And my character is on Y scale. Then I did drawbones and after that when I hit R for each bone at the end of modeling bones, my character donesn't get normal, but twisted. :(

- SODA

SODAPLAY
11-22-2003, 05:11 PM
To DigiLusionist:
Something tells me you're right. How do I change it? Whenever a change my characters mesh to 0,0,0 my bones move out of characters body.

- SODA

DigiLusionist
11-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Soda, first try to rotate the character.

Select its mesh and then hit the 'y' key to activate the Rotate tool.

Click on RESET on the left side of the interface, within the ITEMS Tab toolset.

Set a new keyframe for the mesh at 0.

Deactivate the bones within the Bones Panel first, if this doesn't work.

Luck!

SamuraiSlayer
11-22-2003, 05:26 PM
make sure the bones arent in front or behind your object:eek:

sometimes you will use the front view to put in the bones and then look at a side view and the bones are behind the object

:)

wingwalker
11-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Have you told the mesh to use the bones.
Assuming that you have the mesh in one layer and the bones in another.
Select the layer with the mesh in it and click the bones tab (current item should read none).
Press "p" toget the bones property panel and at the very top is the "Use bones from object" option, in the drop down list chose the layer with the bones in it. and you should get some control over the mesh with the bones.

SODAPLAY
11-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Are you talking about layers in modeler? or layout?
If layout, then I don't know that there were layers :)
I'll check thanks.

- SODA

wingwalker
11-23-2003, 01:06 PM
Yeah soda I do mean in layout...the layers from your mesh in modeler are also in layout.
The pic below should help

SODAPLAY
11-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks, I'll try it.

- SODA

SODAPLAY
11-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Ok guys, thank you. I finally got it.
:)
By the way, what is better to use, bones in layout, or skelegons?

- SODA

DigiLusionist
11-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Wait. What was causing you the problem?

SODAPLAY
11-23-2003, 10:11 PM
My problem was the ^R. I thought I have to press ctrl + r to get ^R, because it activates the button, what a coincidence, but at the end it screws up the model. Then after reading threads that you guys wrote me I figured I just need to type "r" and it worked. The mesh was changing through me pressing activating each bone and when I hit the last one the mesh became normal and I could control every bone.

I now have another problem, for example when I move a hand to a high angle half of the body of my character follows it. How do I do that only hand moves, not anything else. Is that why people use weight maps? I tried, but I couldn't do it. Can you guys help with weight maps. Tell me steps, 1 go there, 2 do that, 3 do this...
if you can of course.

Thank you.

- SODA

hrgiger
11-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by SODAPLAY
Then after reading threads that you guys wrote me I figured I just need to type "r" and it worked. The mesh was changing through me pressing activating each bone and when I hit the last one the mesh became normal and I could control every bone.

- SODA

Yep, that's what I meant.

SODAPLAY
11-24-2003, 12:59 AM
I'm getting into this a little bit, but I have a confution regarding this:
when I make a bone I want to know how to control the position of axis (red, blue and green circles) so I can manipulate the character after I activate the bones. When I make bones for hands my RGB axis are positioned so I cannot move hand back and forth, only left-to-right which I don't want. I want back-and-forth.
How do I control this asix behavior? In other words how to position RGB axis the way I want?

Another thing is using nulls. If I correct I would use nulls as a goal objects?

What other ways I can rotate bones except for rotating bones itself? Is it possible to create a Null object under which I create bones for hand and when I want to rotate hand I only rotate this null object? I tried to do this, the bones were rotating but the mesh not. I didn't do Null as a goal. Just Null. What to do? For me this way (if it is possible) seems the best. This way I will be able to change RGB axis the way I want.

So there 2 things: Controlling RGB axis and Making Nulls to control the mesh.

Thank you in advance.

- SODA

SODAPLAY
11-24-2003, 01:15 AM
I found out, that I can rotate pivot, whould that be controling RGB axis? Is there is another way?

- SODA

glassefx
11-24-2003, 07:57 AM
I've not boned enough (in Lightwave) to tell you how to change the behavour your having but it sounds like gimbal lock to me.

SODAPLAY
11-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Nah it is not gimbal, I'm not talking about those axis, I'm taking about axis that appear for each bone you make. Axis to control each bone.

- SODA

SODAPLAY
11-24-2003, 01:00 PM
This is what I'm talking about. I'm able to rotate hand lft-right, but forward-backward I cannot. How can I rotate the RGF asix without moving a bone?

- SODA

SODAPLAY
11-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Ok I fixed that myself, my coord system was set to parent, I just had to change it to local :)

- SODA

glassefx
12-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Cool SODA!

Thats good to hear!

PEACE!

hrgiger
12-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Changing your coordinate system in layout is not the answer you're looking for. Trust me.

You can fix the axis's in modeler by adjusting the bank handles on skelegons.

Or you can fix them in layout by zeroing out the channels you need to fix and resetting the bones. Your manual will tell you how to do this.