PDA

View Full Version : Simplex Noise - Self animated procedural Texture Plugin for Lightwave

Trinnian_2
05-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Hi folks,

i have written this little procedural texture plugin. It produces noise similar to Perlin Noise, but self-animated. (Actually both are invented by the same person, Ken Perlin)

The original code was written by Eliot Eshelman, i have simply modified it to work with Lightwave.

I hope you find it useful.

The zip contains 2 sample scenes, the plugin for x64 and x86 and the sourcecode. (UPDATED)

tolua

prometheus
05-05-2014, 02:31 AM
Hi folks,

i have written this little procedural texture plugin. It produces noise similar to Perlin Noise, but self-animated. (Actually both are invented by the same person, Ken Perlin)

The original code was written by Eliot Eshelman, i have simply modified it to work with Lightwave.

I hope you find it useful.

The zip contains 2 sample scenes, the plugin for x64 and x86 and the sourcecode.

tolua

Ah..thanks...got an error message of it missing dll files, thought it was just to install the plugin only, I guess you need to copy the whole folder to plugins folder?

Michael

Trinnian_2
05-05-2014, 02:49 AM
Hmm, i just copied the .p file and added it in layout via Utilities->Add Plugins. What dll's are missing?

Btw i didnt test the x86 plugin yet, but the x64 works for me.

Oedo 808
05-05-2014, 03:43 AM
Well the x64 works for me, thanks for adapting this :thumbsup:

I tried the x86 and that worked for me too.

prometheus
05-05-2014, 03:59 AM
hmm...I get this.

"the program canīt start because MSVCR110.dll is missing from you your computer, try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Sensei
05-05-2014, 04:18 AM
Change Code Generation > Runtime Library from Multi-threaded DLL to Multi-threaded. Currently DLL is required to be external. After change, it'll be linked to executable, so user won't need to have it.

Trinnian_2
05-05-2014, 04:19 AM
@prometheus

This means you don't have Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 installed. You can download it freely from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679#

I will also try a different tool to build the plugin.

Sensei
05-05-2014, 04:20 AM
"the program canīt start because MSVCR110.dll is missing from you your computer, try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Temporarily search for file "MSVCR110.dll" on disk, maybe you have copy installed already by other app. Then copy to bin/ folder and should be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

This means you don't have Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 installed. You can download it freely from Microsoft.

No. It's your job to do what I said in #6 post.

Trinnian_2
05-05-2014, 04:33 AM
Thanks Sensei,

i didn't see your post right away.

Here is the update. Btw I'm not a master programmer like you ;)

Edit: Update is in first post.

Sensei
05-05-2014, 04:43 AM
Sorry for harsh comment.
I thought you saw mine post.

I believe it will solve prometheus issue.

Trinnian_2
05-05-2014, 04:49 AM
No problem :)

Thanks again for your help, i just hope it works now.

prometheus
05-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks both to Sensei for the tip of the changes in code etc, and thanks Trinnian for actually changing it.

I did get an error when starting lightwave first...scared me a little, but it could start and it was just there since it looked for that plugin of course with the missing redistributable pack, I installed it and it now works okey.

I actually thought it was some of those redist-packs I was missing, so just glad it was easier to install the update of the plugin, when the times come for an absolut need to install the package, I will do so

checked it a little and have to get back much later once I investigate where it fitīs in best, wether it is on surfaces, hypervoxels..for clouds or smoke etc.

I prefer animatable procedural where you directly can set a speed value, in this you have to set it up with envelopes..even in the time channel to get it animated, though
I am very happy for some more procedurals like this, and with this I also can use envelopes on the scale, persistance and octaves..more of the procudurals we already have should be hacked to get envelopes on those channels and similar:)

My issues with procedurals today, at least for hypervoxels..that is the fact that falloffs do not work(hypervoxels) unless using node textures..and the fact that some procedurals like turbulence has an ugly spherical build up pattern inside of the procedural texture itself.

Anyway..thanks guys, will get back here if I can showcase something good with it.
and it should probably work for everyone now..regardless if you have the redistributable pack or not installed.

Michael

Sensei
05-05-2014, 08:11 AM
I installed it and it now works okey.

With latest version (redownload 1st post attachment) you should no longer need to bother with missing DLL.
As long as Trinnian changed project settings in both 32 bit and 64 bit and then rebuild all projects..

prometheus
05-05-2014, 09:40 AM
With latest version (redownload 1st post attachment) you should no longer need to bother with missing DLL.
As long as Trinnian changed project settings in both 32 bit and 64 bit and then rebuild all projects..

Yes...but thatīs exactly what I did, and I didnīt mean the distritbution pack..which I think you thought I did install..and otherwise it wouldnīt have worked.
I got the "I installed it sentence too much connected to the sentence about the distribution pack" when I ment I installed the plugin update.:)
land of confusion..huh:)
Thanks anyway.

to quote myself..but it may not have been clear?....
"I actually thought it was some of those redist-packs I was missing, so just glad it was easier to install the update of the plugin, when the times come for an absolut need to install the(redistribute)package, I will do so"

ernpchan
05-05-2014, 10:48 AM
It produces noise similar to Perlin Noise, but self-animated. (Actually both are invented by the same person, Ken Perlin)

Cool plugin. Thanks for sharing this. I would have thought that just putting in a non 0 value in time would have the texture animate instead of having to put an envelope on it.

Trinnian_2
05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
The point of the Simplex Noise is the self-animation. I hope i can explain what i mean:

Make a cube, put a Turbulence or something in Color, and animate it with a Reference Object. If the reference is e.g. moving straight along z, then the front of the cube will change color in a "nice" way.
BUT if you take a look at the sides, you simply see a kind of endless image floating in one direction without any change in patterns.

With 4D-Simplex-Noise you have a true 3D evolution of patterns without any Reference Objects. In that regard the ball in the sample scene was a poor choice, since a box would clarify this much more.

This plugin has rare use, but when you need it, it's awesome. I haven't been able to get this effect for years in Lightwave (maybe i simply don't know how). That's the whole reason i ported this to LW.

On the other hand there is no "hacking" of a procedural in Lightwave, the Simplex Noise is completely different from all other procedurals in LW.

As i said this was not my idea, i simply ported in into Lightwave, most of the work was done by others (Ken Perlin & Eliot Eshelman). To be honest i don't understand a thing of the algorithm, therefore i cannot change it. That's also the reason why there is the time envelope, it is simply because i don't know how to do it otherwise.

But then again the sourcecode is free, everyone may change it to his needs.

tolua

objuan
06-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Hmm, sounds super useful. I downloaded the Simplex Noise, I didnt get any jazz about missing dll's, but when I add the texture, it doesnts seem to work.

No 'Time' input or anything. Just a 'Texture Color' input, which changes the color in the little box to the right, but has no effect on the bigger black box to the left that generally gives you a little representation of your texture.

Do I have to do something more than add the x64 SimplexNoise.p to my plugins?

objuan
06-10-2014, 01:38 PM
When I try to load the Electric source scene that comes with the download, it says:

"No plug-in of type NodeHandler found with the name Input. Would you like to load it from disk?"

Where would I find this, am I looking for NodeHandler, or Input?

ernpchan
06-10-2014, 01:52 PM
For me Simplex Noise shows up as a procedural in the layer system, not the node system.

prometheus
06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
When I try to load the Electric source scene that comes with the download, it says:

"No plug-in of type NodeHandler found with the name Input. Would you like to load it from disk?"

Where would I find this, am I looking for NodeHandler, or Input?

you are not working with the later lightwave versions are you? if you are on older lightwave versions that error often shows up if the scene is saved on the later lw versions..I think, just ignore it in such case, thereīs also a fix for that on lw download pages.

objuan
06-10-2014, 03:01 PM
I am running LW 11.5.

The Simplex Noise comes up for me as a procedural, not node based, but all it has in it is the none mattering texture color.

?

prometheus
06-10-2014, 05:16 PM
I am running LW 11.5.

The Simplex Noise comes up for me as a procedural, not node based, but all it has in it is the none mattering texture color.

?

well that is correct, it isnīt node based, itīs just a procedural texture to add in texture environment or on surfaces or hypervoxels, but itīs odd you canīt find the time values...check my screenshot.
the only way to acess it through nodes, is to use procedural node editor, but you canīt find the simplex noise in node editor alone, you have to add a color or scalar layer then add the procedural from there, but thatīs
only if you want to mix it with other nodes, otherwise use standard procedurals...but weird as mentioned if you canīt access the time value.
I would have liked it to have a time setting per ms sort of, so you wouldnīt have to set a curve in the time envelopes...I wish more procedurals could have self animated time values without entering envelopes.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=122253&d=1402442090

kmacphail
06-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Thanks tolua,

Would you mind posting your VC++ project file too?

Cheers,

-Kevin