PDA

View Full Version : instancing and offsets

vonpietro
05-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi,

I've seen the youtube video on changing colors in instances with nodes
I've seen swampys affecting rotational data on each instance using nodes

I was wondering how i could offset say instances of a character holding a laser gun and firing it. Varying the timing of when the bolt fires is what i'd like to do.
any idea how i could vary the bolt being fired so that if i instance 100 guys, they all dont fire at the same time, but randomly.
also maybe vary the arm animation too so they dont all look like they are doing the same thing

the scene i have in mind is a bunch of instances of a guy with a gun all firing at a central object randomly. If done with instancing, i could put hundreds into the scene.

maybe newtek can make special nodes for mixing things up in instancer easier
oh ya, can you weight shade in instancer? or paint where you want things to be instanced to?

thanks

prometheus
05-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I've seen the youtube video on changing colors in instances with nodes
I've seen swampys affecting rotational data on each instance using nodes

I was wondering how i could offset say instances of a character holding a laser gun and firing it. Varying the timing of when the bolt fires is what i'd like to do.
any idea how i could vary the bolt being fired so that if i instance 100 guys, they all dont fire at the same time, but randomly.
also maybe vary the arm animation too so they dont all look like they are doing the same thing

the scene i have in mind is a bunch of instances of a guy with a gun all firing at a central object randomly. If done with instancing, i could put hundreds into the scene.

maybe newtek can make special nodes for mixing things up in instancer easier
oh ya, can you weight shade in instancer? or paint where you want things to be instanced to?

thanks

might work with mdd offsett for changing random time movement, but you canīt have an instance doing different arm movents, you have to add two original objects with two different motions and instance both of them to get a mix.
Not sure if you can time offset the instances in a good way, maybe...there are some time parameters, but I havenīt looked in to that.

Thereīs a tutorial from "proton" William Vaughan with some ostrich walking around and mdd offset in the time I think..maybe something like that but switch to instancing.

It also depends on how the laser is constructed? geometry is probably what you should use, since trying to instance it with volumetric lights or particles is a no..no I would say.

You can use weight maps, image maps, or procedural where you want things to be instanced on, but you canīt paint it in with a weight paint brush in layout for feedback in the scene, like you can do with modo nowadays, first they need to get a good weight map display in Layout, then secondly add a vertex paint tool in layout.
Otherwise you go the model weigth paint map route first in modeler.

Michael

prometheus
05-03-2014, 06:13 PM
you can check this, he actually used one single object baked to mdd, but cloned it 3 times and set different offset on each of those 3 clones, then instance them with different amount maybe..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvR-DWbbksI

vonpietro
05-05-2014, 03:19 PM
thats helpful thanks

i'll try the weight maps first.

and check out the mmd second, that might solve the laser problem too.

being able to offset the timing would be a huge thing in instancing me thinks

i'm really having alot of fun with instances - modeling with instances has been pretty interesting.
I made 5 million pebbles, and it worked, was quick, didn't break the time bank for rendering either. Very solid feature. I look forward to version 2.
I wonder if newtek could make a freeze instances that smartly utilized memory - say if you have 5 million of something it would say - not enough memory for that ect, but for smaller things, like buildings or something - or a setting that froze positional data so you could pick a group of instances and replace it with real geometry for use with say bullet or something. Might be useful.

prometheus
05-06-2014, 01:49 AM
thats helpful thanks

i'll try the weight maps first.

and check out the mmd second, that might solve the laser problem too.

being able to offset the timing would be a huge thing in instancing me thinks

i'm really having alot of fun with instances - modeling with instances has been pretty interesting.
I made 5 million pebbles, and it worked, was quick, didn't break the time bank for rendering either. Very solid feature. I look forward to version 2.
I wonder if newtek could make a freeze instances that smartly utilized memory - say if you have 5 million of something it would say - not enough memory for that ect, but for smaller things, like buildings or something - or a setting that froze positional data so you could pick a group of instances and replace it with real geometry for use with say bullet or something. Might be useful.

python bake instances converts instances to geometry, but I donīt think you can select a group of instances or individual instances withing that instance set...and just convert those selected.

so if you have some million or so, that would probably freeze your system, but if we could pick a selected group of instances, that would be nice..Im not sure about it though...it should actually be a sort of split instances to individual instances first, then you replace that with real object or convert it to a real object.
thereīs also an option to clone instances indivdually, so you can treat them individually, but as mentioned..a tool to split a whole instanced surface in to individual ones would be nice...maybe there is, I am not sure.

Michael