PDA

View Full Version : Second Seat? I think I.m going to be sick.

blueshift
05-03-2014, 12:11 PM
I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my desktop and Windows 7 on my laptop. I used to move my dongle back and forth to use LW on either. I figured there was nothing wrong with that since I could only use it on one machine at a time. Now it appears that if I want to use it on my laptop I have to puchase a second seat? I purchased Nevron Motion knowing that I had Windows 7 on my laptop and have the Kinect for Windows Camera and It won't work with Vista Ultimate on my desktop. Now with the new software licensing I'm limited to either useing LW on my laptop or on my desktop and upgrade to Windows 8.1 Noooooo!
or purchase a second seat. I've been with LightWave more than 11 yrs. and have been very happy with it up until now. I'm a one man operation and can't afford another full license. My god even Adobe now allows for two installations one for desktop and one for the laptop, and you don't even have to disable either anymore. It now it appears I'll have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for my desktop in order to use Nevron Motion which I didn't want to do and be tied to my desktop no on location use of LW or Nevronmotion or uninstall from my desktop and use my one license for the laptop which is an unacceptable option due to less powerful machine. Even if NewTek had a setup like Adobe had for years (Disable on one machine to use it on the other swapping back and forth between two machines one at a time) that would be acceptable. But now I'm forced to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and make LW and Nevron Motion completely immobile or install to Laptop not acceptable either. After 11+ yrs. if this is the way it is NewTek now has one IRATE! customer.

Greenlaw
05-03-2014, 12:33 PM
You can still use your dongle even if you use the soft key. I use both--software license at home and on my laptop, and I use my dongle whenever I need to use run LightWave on a third-party computer and I don't want to install my personal soft key on that computer. For the most part, I've been able to key plug-in licenses to run with both. (A few old plug-ins will only work with the dongle.)

G.

Greenlaw
05-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Also, AFAIK, you can install LightWave on multiple computers, you just can't run it on multiple computers at the same time. LightWave will tell you something like "there are no available licenses," which simply means you need to exit LightWave on the other computer before continuing.

Regarding Adobe CC, I do like how they allow you to remotely kill other active licenses so you can run CC whenever and wherever you need to. This feature has saved me a lot of extra trips between my home studio and working on location. That said, for me as a freelancer, LightWave's licensing is still much easier and friendlier to work with. :)

G.

spherical
05-03-2014, 03:59 PM
What version is this happening with? I don't have any problem with either the soft key or the dongle switch on two machines. Also unsure of why you'd have to upgrade to 8.1. Both of my workstations are on 8.1 with no issues but I don't know of any reason that you'd be forced to get on that OS.

blueshift
05-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Also, AFAIK, you can install LightWave on multiple computers, you just can't run it on multiple computers at the same time. (LightWave will tell you something like "there are no available licenses," which simply means you need to exit LightWave on the other computer before continuing.)

Regarding Adobe CC, I do like how they allow you to remotely kill other active licenses so you can run CC whenever and wherever you need to. This feature has saved me a lot of extra trips between my home studio and working on location. That said, for me as a freelancer, LightWave's licensing is still much easier and friendlier to work with. :)

G.
Thank God I thought I was screwed. I plugged in the dongle and it worked . I didn't realize I had it running on my desktop when I tried running it on my laptop. I removed the dongle from my laptop and shut down LW on my desktop and tried again and it worked yeah! I jumped the gun with my post. My bad.
Thanks Greenlaw.

blueshift
05-03-2014, 04:10 PM
What version is this happening with? I don't have any problem with either the soft key or the dongle switch on two machines. Also unsure of why you'd have to upgrade to 8.1. Both of my workstations are on 8.1 with no issues but I don't know of any reason that you'd be forced to get on that OS.

Windows Kinect won't work with anything prior to Windows 7 I have Vista Ultimate on my desktop. I can use my laptop (Windows 7) for Nevron Motion MoCap.

Greenlaw
05-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Glad that info helped.

If it's any consolation, a couple of months ago, I spent a couple of hours messing around with installers, license keys, and rebuilding configs on my laptop but the license file just wouldn't take. Then I discovered Layout running on my main workstation, quit it, and LightWave was running peachy on the laptop again. D'oh! :)

Regarding OS's, a year or so ago, I had one machine running Vista Ultimate and I finally upgraded it to Windows 7 because it was giving me problems with network rendering, licensing and file sharing. Putting Win 7 on all our computers at home solved this plus a few other network issues that I didn't realize was caused by the one Vista machine on the network.

I have no experience with Win 8 yet--trying to avoid it until I'm ready to buy or build a new computer.

G.

Silkrooster
05-04-2014, 12:43 AM
I found out it is not worth getting a low end 64 bit system. Even though the price is right, it can bog down quite easily. Not only is the cpu slow, but video card on a laptop is more than likely on the motherboard, and the ram is 4gb. I figured it would do for now, but when a flash game slows down, you know it is a slow system. My desktop which is several years old is way faster. But then again 16GB instead of 4 can make quite a difference on its own merit.

Greenlaw
05-04-2014, 09:16 AM
IMO, the main reason to go with x64 is to take advantage of more RAM, which for me is getting crucial with each new job I take on. My workstation at home has 9GB and lately I'm finding that's just adequate for working with lots of of dense objects, volumetrics, full HD res, etc. I'm thinking about replacing the computer after the summer.

Another reason is that I'm starting to see more developers offering their programs in x64-only, probably because x32's 4 GB limit is becoming too restrictive.

I'm still surprised by how much I can still do on my aging tm2 tablet PC--it's x64 but has only 4GB of RAM. The CPU and ATI graphics is modest but I was able to create and animate most of Happy Box (https://vimeo.com/55185005) and Scareplane (https://vimeo.com/87465384) on this computer without difficulty. But the limitation became clear when I started working on the Brudders music video excerpt (https://vimeo.com/68543424)--I can't even open many of its LightWave scenes on the tm2. (No, I am not planning on getting a new laptop.) :)

G.

spherical
05-04-2014, 04:42 PM
What I'd like, and I may put in a Feature Request, is for LW 64-bit to be able to operate in what would be the equivalent of Thunk mode and run 32-bit plugins through that. Then, we could have all plugins in one tree, all scenes would be able to take advantage of the larger RAM pool and everyone would be more productive. Failing that, perhaps some sort of targeted push program could be mounted to offer $$ to encourage developers to compile for 64-bit or offer to compile their plugins for them. Doesn't seem like this is an insurmountable problem.

BeeVee
05-05-2014, 02:56 AM
Presumably you're talking about plugins that aren't still in development? What ones in particular do you consider essential to have in 64-bit that aren't right now?

B

Greenlaw
05-05-2014, 09:23 AM
For me, that would be certain orphaned third party x32 plug-ins so I'm not sure LW3D could do that unless they decided to develop their own versions from scratch.

For example, elsewhere in these forums, I mentioned how I need DrainBGVmap to transfer Weight, Morph and UV maps from character meshes to ZBrush FiberMesh guides for FiberFX but, unfortunately, being an abandoned x32 plug-in, the number of fur guides I can process is very limited. Since FiberMesh to FiberFX support is now a part of LightWave, it would be great if more native tools were included that allowed the guides to take full advantage of FiberFX.

That's one off the top of my head. I'm sure other users have their own 'must haves' to list here.

G.