PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave UI - by Fabio A.

erikals
05-02-2014, 04:49 PM
found this interesting... >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bl1PvLU3uA

hrgiger
05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Would have liked to have seen him address workspaces in his idea. LW just can't keep adding tabs to the top of the screen, that would be hideous. Everyone of course already wants dockable and closable/resizable panels. I think the timeline/curved editor is a natural progression.

erikals
05-02-2014, 05:11 PM
but other than that, what u think... ?

prometheus
05-02-2014, 05:13 PM
found this interesting... >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bl1PvLU3uA

Yes..Yes..Exactly how I wanted it to be..I think, awesome mockup.. that is sort of how it could and should work like...the only thing there missing as a showcase is an option to dock minimized windows, and expand them etc..and also fully resizable windows.

hrgiger
05-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Well as I said, I think its pretty natural to assume that we should have curve editing by the timeline. I don't really care for scrolling panels, I don't like them in the Max interface. Much prefer the way Zbrush handles panels. Open/close side bins, drag and drop menus into it. Zbrush minimizes having to scroll by closing other panels as you open another. I do like the ability to expand and collapse floating windows.

But as I mentioned, without seeing how workspaces would work in a unified LightWave environment, these are just simple UI enhancments, not a real look into how a unified LW would operate.

raw-m
05-03-2014, 01:18 AM

Do it!

zapper1998
05-03-2014, 06:05 AM
I really Like the Idea, I really do, Like 3DCoat and other apps are doing it.

Hmmmmmmm....

:)

gerry_g
05-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Hate scrolling panels, if you have ever used older versions of Corel's Painter you will know what I mean, in reality you are just shifting the problem not solving it, instead of opening and closing and moving stuff around the screen you are now perpetually scrolling up and down, only tabs and fly outs work well scrolling always sucked and always will.

Lewis
05-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Looks interesting, i'd just add more modeling stuff when he was showing modeling then right panles should be docked with stats , numeric, layers windows from modeler and ntot stay as layout object property panels but nevertheless it's good mockup :).

jasonwestmas
05-03-2014, 07:34 AM
I would be surprised if he hasn't used messiah. This is how it the timeline works over there.

Scrolling panels are ok for some things but not for rigging and animation, horrible workflow.

bazsa73
05-03-2014, 09:50 AM
I would be surprised if he hasn't used messiah. This is how it the timeline works over there.

Scrolling panels are ok for some things but not for rigging and animation, horrible workflow.

I like the way how Messiah handles the graph editor but not so much the LW Scene editor like Itemlist.
For the latter I would like to use the Node Editor. Then we wouldn't have the dope editor but that is pretty much
useless I think as it is now, at least I do not find it very intuitive and must triple check the selected boxes
otherwise something starts floating away during the animation. And one is lucky if notices it.

prometheus
05-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Hate scrolling panels, if you have ever used older versions of Corel's Painter you will know what I mean, in reality you are just shifting the problem not solving it, instead of opening and closing and moving stuff around the screen you are now perpetually scrolling up and down, only tabs and fly outs work well scrolling always sucked and always will.

Well..I still think that scrolling within the panels or expand/collaps the menus will give you more space to actually see the image/scene you are working on, rather than having it obscured with unsizable window modules while tweaking.
but if implemented right, you should be able to have both options in windows/panel handling...so just pick what suits you if the options are there.

I think I like adobes docking panels with expand and collaps the most.

for a two monitior setup itīs another matter though.