PDA

View Full Version : Using Points is Causing my Computer to Crash

Columbo24
05-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi
I've been doing Lightwave tutorials for two months. On the latest tutorial on using the points tool I'm having a problem. I'm making an arrow sign. First I'm right clicking and adding points. Than counter clockwise I'm selecting 3 or 4 points and hitting P. Problem is when I'm finished the first polygon is gone, but the points are still there. I try to select the points and create another polygon and my system crashes. I work with hypervoxels, hard fx and my computer never crashes, but working with points is giving me fits. Are points that demanding on your system? Do I need to trash preferences? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Bill

prometheus
05-02-2014, 10:37 AM
what tutorial? + screenshots might help.

I have no issues with adding points selecting them and make poly of them.

lightwave 11.6.2 final build windows 7

Sounds really serious though if your whole computer crashes and not only lightwave?

Michael

Columbo24
05-02-2014, 03:41 PM
121721Sorry I meant the program crashes. It also did this when I used Viper. My system is Mac 10.7.5, i5, 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR 3,AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB. In After Effects and FCP when I trashed preferences it help stop program crashes. Will this work with Lightwave? Also here is an attachment of a simple arrow with points thats extruded, it,s not looking right either. Thanks again.
Bill

prometheus
05-02-2014, 03:59 PM
121721Sorry I meant the program crashes. It also did this when I used Viper. My system is Mac 10.7.5, i5, 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR 3,AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB. In After Effects and FCP when I trashed preferences it help stop program crashes. Will this work with Lightwave? Also here is an attachment of a simple arrow with points thats extruded, it,s not looking right either. Thanks again.
Bill

Aha..mac...that might be an issue:D

can you post the object?

you can simply clear your configurations in lightwave, but close lightwave first, once you open it it will add default fresh ones, but if you have plugins and menus, you need to set that up again.

you simply seem to have flipped polys or not aligned properly, you could make the surface double sided too.
hard to tell if you donīt post the object though.

what are you using viper for?, not in modeler? viper is mostly used in layout for surfacing, and you should not use viper at the same time as you use the VPR as preview system...it will or might crash, thatīs in the manuals.

Michael

Remoc
05-28-2014, 06:21 PM
I think this is a bug that effects some setups ( not everyone ) and was introduced in 11.6.1
I have re-created the crash on two separate work computers by selecting three points and pressing 'p'
It crashes everytime. I have done a full re-install, but that didn't fix it.
But it doesn't crash when I use 11.5 or 11.6

If it helps both systems use Nvidia graphic cards and have Intel cpu.

If this also happens to you... please make a post. We need to let Newtek know.