PDA

View Full Version : IVGA Pro on Mac to Tricaster 40 V2

BEKSPORTS
05-01-2014, 02:39 PM
I am using a 8 port switch to connect my Mac Laptop to my Tricaster 40. The switch is a not connected to the internet, it is just being used to connect the 2 devices together. I am having trouble when playing video off of my laptop. The video appears jittery. The audio seems to play fine, but the video is just not good. Any help would be appreciated.

dave_paige
05-01-2014, 03:09 PM
What speed are the ports on that switch? 100Mb or 1Gb? And also the the speed of the port on your laptop?

BEKSPORTS
05-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I believe they are both 1 Gb

dave_paige
05-01-2014, 03:39 PM
I would check and make sure that that all the ports are negotiating at 1Gb. Sometimes on switches and NICs that auto-negotiate they get it wrong. You may have to force them to 1Gb.

BEKSPORTS
05-06-2014, 02:45 PM
I went ahead and brought my Dell Laptop over and tested and it seemed to work fine. Does this have to be 1 GB to have a stable connection? Right now I am using a 10/100 switch but if I need to get a 1GB switch then I will put one in.

BEKSPORTS
05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
I have changed my connection to 1GB and I still get the jittery video. I took the screen resolution down on the MAC to better align with the Tricaster but then the text size and image size on the MAC becomes so big and almost unusable. HELP!!!

kanep
05-13-2014, 09:45 PM
iVGA on the Mac isn't going to get you 30 frames per second which why I'm guessing you are seeing jittery (studders?). Can you put the clips you need to play in a TriCaster DDR and play them from there?

Otherwise, a external scan converter might be what you need. Or if you can use iVGA Pro on a Windows computer, that can perform up to 30 frames per second.

BEKSPORTS
05-14-2014, 09:35 AM
So basically, I cant network my MAC with the Tricaster and get 30 frames? Is there anything that I can use to make this work or do I have to use a Windows computer? It seems interesting that I cant use a MAC to get 30 frames. Please advise.

kanep
05-14-2014, 10:42 AM
iVGA which is available for OSX and 32-bit Windows clients will not achieve 30fps through the network connection. Probably 20 to 25 fps is possible on a fast system, but final speed depends on factors like screen resolution you are working at, network bandwidth, CPU/GPU speed and the operating system.

iVGA Pro which is available for Windows 64-bit systems can achieve up to 30fps (a fast CPU and GPU is helpful to achieve this).

iVGA aside, getting remote desktop (built into the OS) doesn't typically work at 30fps. You can see by use screen sharing between systems.

If you need 30fps and want to use OSX, the best answer is to use an external scan converter.

BEKSPORTS
05-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Kane,

Explain to me why all your tech specs and system diagrams talk about a network connection with both MAC and PC and yet only the PC will play full frame rate video. That seems like a little (BIG) piece of information that your customers would like to know. I purchased a Tricaster based soley on it ability to network full frame video with MAC and now I am finding out I cant. I don't really know why you as Tricaster would not stress this factor in any of your materials. I have found no where that it states it wont do full frame rate.

SBowie
05-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Explain to me why all your tech specs and system diagrams talk about a network connection with both MAC and PC and yet only the PC will play full frame rate video.There are countless variables in the frame rates achievable with the various versions of iVGA, not just your platform of choice. High resolution displays, network traffic, graphics cards and other system resource limitations and utilization can easily interfere with high framerate video transfer over a network, regardless of OS or iVGA version.

I have found no where that it states it wont do full frame rate.Looked at slightly differently, though - I'm not actually aware of any place that claims that any version of iVGA (for any platform) does ensure full frame rate video, HD or otherwise. (I personally think it would probably be imprudent to claim that apart from a good scan converter.) We certainly wouldn't want to misstate matters. Can you point to a link?

kanep
05-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Just a bit more on iVGA itself. The standard version of iVGA is designed to work using available operating system hooks to grab the display. It will do this as fast as possible. At this point I've yet to see a PC or Mac that is fast enough to deliver 30 frames per second. In other words, we aren't limiting the max frame rate with iVGA, it just that no PC or Mac I've seen has had the performance required.

iVGA Pro is designed to work lower level than iVGA, this doesn't come without some side effects. If you look on the forums you will find more people have problems getting iVGA Pro working than standard iVGA. One of the common issues is that some anti-virus/anti-malware software blocks the low level access that iVGA Pro tries to use to access the display. I myself had to change to other anti-virus software on my laptop to get iVGA Pro running.

I would guess the next question is why no iVGA Pro for OSX. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know the details, but my understanding is that OSX doesn't allow low level access to hardware resources from applications.

Just to add (since I've been asked this question many times). Why no iVGA for iPad or Android? Its not that we wouldn't want to provide such a thing, but in these cases, tablet operating systems (iOS and Android) do not allow an applications like iVGA to run, its specifically not allowed.

BEKSPORTS
05-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Kane,

What scaler would you recommend? I purchased an HDMI to SDI heavy duty converter from Black Magic but all I got was snow when I hooked it up to my Tricaster 40 v2.

kanep
05-29-2014, 10:51 PM
The TC40 isn't a SDI device so that is probably why the BMD conveter didn't work.

You can try something like this. It isn't a scaler, just a converter, but it will take HDMI in and convert it into component. When using a converter like this the computer needs to display a 'video compatible' resolution. I've heard that this isn't easy to do on most Macintosh systems.
http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HDRGBRL

If you need something that is a HDMI to component scaler, this unit should do it.
http://www.kramerus.com/products/model.asp?pid=1710&sf=556