PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 (and Aura) not working in New computer

george49
05-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I upgraded my VT5 to a newer/faster computer running Windows 7, 64-bit, and am having trouble using LW.

I can open LW 8.5 Modeler and Layout from both the VT5 or from the Start/Programs, but both quickly become unresponsive and/or lock up. I have to use the task manager to stop them, but when I do this the only way they'll open again is if I shut down and restart.

Am havng similar issues with Aura and put in a question on that forum. The program starts to load, but then locks up.

The other VT5 features seems to be fine. Only LW and Aura seem to be having problems.

Has anyone else had any issues like this when upgrading to a new machine? Any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks in advance.

spherical
05-01-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm presuming that you were on a far older OS previously? Permissions in current and recent OS versions have been tightened significantly and special steps need to be taken to obtain a successful install. Here's a general install procedure:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140688-BSOD-on-F9-F10-Intermittent&p=1373402&viewfull=1#post1373402

Run as Administrator setting is in the Properties > Compatibility tab of each executable.
If your anti-virus is AVG, that has known issues with LightWave and another AV is recommended.
No matter which firewall you use, it will need to have rules set to allow communication between all of LW's applications.

george49
05-01-2014, 11:53 PM
My old computer ran Windows XP SP3. Not sure if that qualifies as "far older". New machine was put together by a qualified guy in the Bay area. He pre-loaded all the Newtek software I have rights to, and shipped the machine to me. I installed my VT5 card, and that part seems to be fine.

I did get rid of my AVG anti-virus program, and happy to say that both LW Modeler and Layout appear to be back to normal. I am going with Avast now, and so far, so good.

Still haven't figured out why Aura 2.7 doesn't load, tho. It gets to 67% and then hangs up.

Sincere regards from Kazakhstan,
George

spherical
05-02-2014, 02:41 AM
Well, it's older than win7. Very different animals.

Good to confirm that AVG was a contributing factor.

Kazakhstan? Vacationing from Marina?