PDA

View Full Version : If you're in NY can I watch you work?

amiridon
11-21-2003, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty new to Lightwave.

And I have the theory pretty much down packed. So I'm wondering if there is anyone out there in the NYC area that is willing to let me watch you work on a project. I just want to see technique in action. I promise not to be a bother. If you can do this for me please email me Here ([email protected])

DaveWarner
11-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by amiridon
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there in the NYC area that is willing to let me watch you work on a project. I just want to see technique in action.

If you were able to find a professional animator who was willing to let you "look over his shoulder" I doubt if you would learn much. Most pros work very quickly and the only way you would learn anything is if the animator explained everything he was doing or, at the very least, stopped to answer your questions as he went along.

What you want is a private tutor and unless you're willing to pay a lot of money, it's just not going to happen.

However, this is what tutorial videos and CDs are for. Buy Dan Ablan's 3D Garage CDs and it's just like having a private tutor walk you through a bunch of different projects and explain everything as he's going along.

Tutorial CDs are really the best way to learn LightWave because you can follow along with the tutorial and try out things as they are demonstrated...something you would not be able to do if someone allowed you to watch them work.

Good luck.

John Fornasar
11-22-2003, 09:33 PM
I'd have to agree with Dave... and there is another problem lately... I'm not in a graphics house but a "major metropolitan energy company"... with new security rules in effect, it would be hard to bring my grandmother to work.

Along with the Ablan CD's, you should definitely check out any seminars offered (I'll assume you are near NYC?). The next time Lee Stranahan comes along, it's well worth the money to attend his gig. I worked with LW for about 6 years before I went to the first one, and aside from the topics covered, I picked up a lot of tips just watching him work... Todd Grimes was also at the first one I attended, and watching him do his characters even helped me, although I do mainly mechanical type scenes.

On the last tour Lee distributed 3 CD's, and the Larry Shultz movies are as close as you can get to "looking over someones shoulder". Larry speaks as he models, tells you what he is doing and why, and it's better than watching someone, because you can always back him up and make him do it over again until you get it. I imagine his "for sale" tutorials are just as good or better.

You also want to see if the NYC LW users group is still meeting... I went to one a few years ago (haven't had the chance to go since), checked out what other people were doing, and met some great NY LW'ers.

Paul Goodrich
11-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

Good timing, we're doing a meeting of the NYC LWUG on Dec 1rst, Monday evening at 7:30 PM. If you're interested in attending please RSVP Paul Goodrich at: [email protected] before the end of the week. We have limited space so 1rst RSVP'ed first served.

Paul Goodrich

also see our web site - www.nyclightwave.com

amiridon
11-24-2003, 08:34 AM
The only thing that scares me about purchasing a video tutorial is you can never be to sure of what's on the video. I wouldn't want to buy it and it shows me that same type of tutorials for free on the web now.

I want to learn how to set up scenes. How to make a living room look like a real life room.

for example: (I wouldn't even know where to begin)

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lw-gallery/albums/Architecture/347.jpg

amiridon
11-24-2003, 08:38 AM
Mr. Goodrich

I would love to attend your meeting I will be sending an email prono thankyou. I took a look at your site and I wanted to know if there's any charge for becomming a member of your group.

meshmaster
11-25-2003, 02:58 PM
http://www.clickgrafix.com/tutorials/cgx2002_tutmain.htm

SplineGod
11-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by amiridon
I'm pretty new to Lightwave.

And I have the theory pretty much down packed. So I'm wondering if there is anyone out there in the NYC area that is willing to let me watch you work on a project. I just want to see technique in action. I promise not to be a bother. If you can do this for me please email me Here ([email protected])
The next best thing is to check out the 3 hours or so of free tutorials on my site in quicktime format. :)

Paul Goodrich
11-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Amiridon,
There's no fee to join the group. However there's a $5.00 cover at the meetings to help cover food and drinks. Love to see you there. Also I can recomend Larry's stuff highly as I got his modeling CD's and did the world wide tour with Lee and Thom. ( The CD has some of Larry's stuff on it) I also have the Lost Pencil CD's which are good but I feel that you need to know a bit more to get things out of them as he assumes a certain level of knowledge. The nice thing about Larry's is that he talks thoughout explaining both what he's doing and why. There's none of that here's the half done model - dissolve - now here's what it looks like when it's done. Without the internal steps to get there. Good luck, hope to see you.
Paul Goodrich
www.nyclightwave.com

SplineGod
11-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks a lot Paul! :)

MadMax
11-30-2003, 12:34 PM
You might also want to check out www.3dgarage.com for free tutorials that cover some very easy to follow modeling techniques.

Also check out the 3Dgarage section of the Lightwave Group at :

Lightwave Group (http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)

This is the link to the forums, 3DGarage has a complete section there as well where you can find all kinds of Lightwave help.

dablan
11-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks MadMax.

And Amiridon
The only thing that scares me about purchasing a video tutorial is you can never be to sure of what's on the video. I wouldn't want to buy it and it shows me that same type of tutorials for free on the web now.

Go over to 3D Garage (http://www.3dgarage.com) and you can view not just what's on every CD of our Signature Courseware, but download an 18 page complete index. No one else offers this. And, download the sample tutorial video files. You'll be able to see the quality of the material, as well as the style of learning. Also, you'll learn in the process - for example, the tire tutorial located HERE (http://3dgarage.com/downloads.html) is a complete start-to-finish project, not just a portion of a tutorial. Our Advanced Courseware has a complete tutorial building a room, adding windows, and applying Radiosity to achieve a similar look like the image you posted.

Our users include LightWave students from Lockheed Martin, Milwaukee Sentinal Journal, Tampa Tribune, Abbott Laboratoris, Johnson & Johnson Industries, and many, many othes.

Ron Thornton, one of the LightWave 3D pioneers, a visionary in the effects industry was the braintrust behind Foundation Imaging, which created shows such as Babylon 5, Dan Dare, and many others. Ron is now teaching at the DAVE school in Orlando Florida and has chosen 3D GARAGE Courseware as HIS guide to get up to speed on the tools and workflow of LightWave. Visit the 3D Garage site for more quotes from our users.

Additionally, we have a free forum (always have) which is now in partnership with www.lwg3d.com - feel free to use it anytime to have questions answered. You don't need to buy anything to visit the forum.

As a bonus, when you order any course, you'll get a copy of my new book "Inside LightWave 8" absolutely free.

Best of luck!

SplineGod
11-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by John Fornasar

On the last tour Lee distributed 3 CD's, and the Larry Shultz movies are as close as you can get to "looking over someones shoulder". Larry speaks as he models, tells you what he is doing and why, and it's better than watching someone, because you can always back him up and make him do it over again until you get it. I imagine his "for sale" tutorials are just as good or better.

Thanks John, much appreciated. :)

Amiridon,
The 3CDs John mentioned are at least 25 hours of additional material. Anyone who has bought those Tour CDs from me or received them at the actual seminars will tell you that most of the material on them are things you wont find in other videos, books or courses. Its a lot of tips, tricks and techniques that Lee and I have learned while working out in Hollywood for years on Video Game, TV and Film projects.

Im also one of the authors along with about 30 others on Wordwares new book, Lightwave 8: 1001 Tips and Tricks (http://www.wordware.com/tnt). Im offering 25% off on anything I have for anyone who preorders the book.

Im also giving away a free copy for anyone who signs up for my courses AND 2 of the Tour CDs for free. My Intro to Lightwave course is over 30 hrs (and growing). Add the the 20 extra hours with the Tour CDs and thats over 50 hrs of "better then watching someone" as John put it. :)

As far as the detail and material in my character series there is nothing out there that comes close. It contains over 60 hours of detailed information on all aspect of Character modeling, texturing, rigging and animation. Add in the two tour CDs and thats 80 HOURS of training. Im also giving away a free tips and tricks book with this one too.

On top of this I have a very active support forum for my students. Theres hundreds of posts on there in the form of questions and answers as well as critiques and advice. I personally critique everyones work. Ive been creating and running online courses like this in the LW community longer then anyone else. If you are interested in checking out my forums drop me an email. Ive had a great many people sign up JUST because of the amount of material on my forums and how its run.

Wes Beckwith at Wordware publishing started out using Lightwave 3 weeks ago. Hes been taking my Intro Course. Hes come along VERY quickly in 3 weeks:
http://www.cgtalk.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=988624
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105477

Scott Cameron who runs probably the largest tutorial site for Lightwave has been taking my Intro Course. He decided to keep a BLOG of his progress. http://members.shaw.ca/lightwaveblog/blog1.htm
Both Wes and Scott have done excellent work

Paul Goodrich
11-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Larry,
Just wondered if we could get you or Lee to come to one of our meetings. I see that you're scheduled to be at Vartos in NJ in Jan 2004. Could we set something up for the NYC users group? Maybe before the seminar and let some of our members get a sense of what your tour offers? Let me know if we can arrange something, thanks
Paul Goodrich
[email protected]
www.nyclightwave.com

SplineGod
11-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi Paul,
Ill check with Lee and see what hes got going that way. I know hes done that before. Also, check your PM if you could. Thanks!

amiridon
12-01-2003, 07:56 AM
You guys don't know how much this means to me to have all these lightwave guru's talking to me. :D

I will take a look at every option listed (trust me)

Thank you all soooooo much for your help here.

I can't wait until I'm on the level where everyone is talking about my work and I'm working with you guys to write books and do tutorials.

I better get started!!!

SplineGod
12-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Hey Amiridon,
Ive been on these (and the old LW forums) forum for quite awhiile and I enjoy helping the community out. ive posted a fair amount of tips and tricks I know over a long period on here and CGTalk. If you use the search function on here you can easily look up a lot of info people have posted on various topics. I find it use to search on topics or under peoples names.