PDA

View Full Version : File Format In Lightwave 8

cfchu
11-21-2003, 12:54 PM
I hope there will be many file formats that can be exported and imported.

Such as:

Imports: ACIS SAT, Apple 3D Metafile, 3D Studio MAX v2.0 through v4.0+ (native plug-ins), Detailer (Fractal Design), DXF, IGES 5.3, Imagine, Lightwave 5.6, 6.5 and newer, Maya 2.5 and newer (native plug-ins) , Okino native BDF, OpenFlight v14.2, v15.2+ , Pro/Engineer "Render .slp", Rhino-3D (via Wavefront OBJ or IGES) , SoftImage , Solid Edge v7-v9+ , SolidWorks 98-2001+, STL, Strata v1.75, trueSpace v2-v5.0+.

Exports: Apple 3D Metafile, 3D Studio MAX v2-v4.0+ (native plug-ins), Detailer (Fractal Design), DirectX, DXF, IGES 5.x, Imagine, Lightscape, Lightwave 5.6 and 6.5, Maya/NT 2.5 and newer, Okino native BDF, Open GL C Code, OpenFlight v14.2, v15.2+, POV Ray 2.0 and 3.0, Pro/E SLP 'Render File', Renderman RIB (NURBS and Meshes), RenderWare/ActiveWorlds, SoftImage (Full NURBS), STL, Strata v1.75, trueSpace v2-v5+, Wavefront OBJ, Viewpoint VET/Metasteram, VRML 1, VRML 2 and SGI Inventor2.

I prefered converting the Lightwave 8 to OpenGL C Code, so that, it is easier for most programmers who are using OpenGL.

Cheers.... :)

Mylenium
11-23-2003, 04:42 AM
*LOL*

That's an awfully long list. Don't you think it would be better to focus on a few things only? After all, there are special tools for converting meshes like Deep Exploration and PolyTrans that can do the job. Here are the things I would love to see:

- improved DXF import (support of SPLINEs and blocks, not just polys)
- improved EPS/ AI/ PDF import/ export (in Modeler for BG images and profiles as well as textures in Modeler/ Layout)
- CG compliant/ OpenGL shader code export
- much improved DirectX export
- OpenGL geometry/ code export
- ASCII file export of geometry for easier acces via script tools or custom game engines
- STL import/ export for us CAD dudes

All things not mentioned either work to my satisfaction or can be considered not so important (for me at least). Everything else is optional - once more I have to say I would hate NT to waste resources on such things while other parts of LW could need even more attention.

Mylenium

cfchu
11-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Yes! The Formats you mentioned are just what I need to have.

Sorry for the long list.

Thanks.

Cheers :)

mkiii
11-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Most are just *never* & I mean **NEVER**, with a capital NUH, going to happen.

Especially an all version (or any version) Max Export. Even Deep Exploration (which does a great job all round) has to have a registered copy of 3ds Max 4 or greater installed before it will handle Max files properly. The same goes for Maya files.

And Solid modelling export functions..... Dream on....

You are safe with LW 5 files - which it does now - and I assume LW 6 format. DXF - which it does now.... Oh I get it... you're having a laugh right?

Maybe they could do a mental-ray bolt on engine & a dreamweaver plugin, so we can design web pages while we wait for our 3d paint to dry.
:rolleyes:

FenrirWolf
11-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by cfchu
I prefered converting the Lightwave 8 to OpenGL C Code, so that, it is easier for most programmers who are using OpenGL.
Erm. What kind of "OpenGL C code"? A giant typedef structure filled with raw vertex points? What about VMAPs like UVs or weight maps? And what about discontinuous UV points? Seperate structures for those? Don't forget textures, I guess we just get paths to the files and that's it.

That's just unwieldy. Easier to either write your own Lightwave object importer (the file format is VERY well documented in the SDK and a snap to parse), or convert to a simpler file format like WaveFront OBJ and then just slurp up the raw ASCII values into whatever data structures your program uses. (I did this for a software-rendered game I entered into a 10k contest a while ago.)

If Newtek wrote that sort of exporter IO plugin for Lightwave, I'd never use it. I'd prefer to work with documented file formats that aren't likely to change. B'sides, I'd probably hate how they'd organize the data. ;)

I agree with Mylenium, I've LOVE to be able to attach snippets of CG shader code to my models and get realtime previews in Modeler. Mmmmmmm.

ChromeCow
12-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Hi All,

I wrote an STL Import/Export script. It's available here:

http://www.chromecow.com/downloads.htm

Look in LScripts.

As for the rest...you're on your own...};^)

Sean Hyde-Moyer
www.chromecow.com