PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite dragon?

prometheus
04-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Itīs a widely (overused?) figure in myths and in movies.

So Which dragon are your favourite dragon? and please feel free to mention some simple motivation on why..be it the looks, the cool vfx animation, or itīs behavior etc...or how the actual movie or story worked out.

could it be something like reign of fire, dragonheart, eragon, dragonslayer..some other myth, fantasy? or maybe lino grandis dragon content for lightwave:) (not sure if he modeled it though?)

Later on we might discuss..why it has been so popular?..right from the early days of knights and their first appearances in dictated stories.

Michael

hazmat777
04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
The one from Dragonslayer (1981) hands down. I saw the movie in the theater when I was 12 and thought it was so awesome it started me asking everyone to buy me dragon related stuff for birthdays etc.

rednova
04-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Hi:
My favorite is Draco from dragonheart, one thing that strikes me about it is that the
animation was done in amiga computers. But I love this dragon looks very much !!!

prometheus
04-29-2014, 12:52 AM
The one from Dragonslayer (1981) hands down. I saw the movie in the theater when I was 12 and thought it was so awesome it started me asking everyone to buy me dragon related stuff for birthdays etc.

yes..I liked that movie too, though it was more fantastic at that time.

Hi:
My favorite is Draco from dragonheart, one thing that strikes me about it is that the
animation was done in amiga computers. But I love this dragon looks very much !!!

yes and modeled in Lightwave, dragonheart was quite charming and sean connery worked nicely as the voice of Draco..
the scenes where they fake the hunting and draco catches the spear and fake his downfall is funny.
."so were are we off to now? to the stars:)"

I still think the dragon animation and rendering in Reign of fire is the best Ivé seen, though the story should have been worked a little better, and it could have been better with some other director or editing maybe.

I havenīt seen smaug though except for some trailers, but the looks from that I didnīt like that much, I guess I need to see the whole thing.

prometheus
04-29-2014, 12:57 AM
I havenīt seen dawn of the dragon slayer either, probably not released over here on cinemas and maybe not in tv either.
I think turbulenceFD was used for some fire spitting there, not sure if it was in the cinema4d environment or lightwave.

bazsa73
04-29-2014, 01:00 AM
+1
There was a very small movie theater near to our place and after the schools I secretly went to watch.
I own the film on DVD too.

prometheus
04-29-2014, 01:05 AM
+1
There was a very small movie theater near to our place and after the schools I secretly went to watch.
I own the film on DVD too.

which movie do you talk about?

gordonrobb
04-29-2014, 01:23 AM
Draca was excellent - at the time. But for me Smaug blows everything out of the water.

spherical
04-29-2014, 02:45 AM
Toothless. We named one of our recent cat rescues after him, as he was exceedingly ferocious at first, almost to the point of hurting himself, and then turned into a real sweetheart. The start of his story can be read here (http://bengalmania.org/cats/hungry-lonely-scared-part-1/).

bazsa73
04-29-2014, 04:36 AM
which movie do you talk about?

Dragonslayer

Waves of light
04-29-2014, 04:44 AM
Night Fury.

safetyman
04-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Dragonslayer was king of the hill for me for a long time. I recently watched that movie again and the effects were a little cheesy, but I think the filmmakers still did a really nice job at the time. I haven't seen Smaug yet, but I'll bet he's well done since Weta worked on him. All that being said, the Game of Thrones dragons are really well done (Pixomondo?).

bazsa73
04-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Dragonslayer was king of the hill for me for a long time. I recently watched that movie again and the effects were a little cheesy, but I think the filmmakers still did a really nice job at the time. I haven't seen Smaug yet, but I'll bet he's well done since Weta worked on him. All that being said, the Game of Thrones dragons are really well done (Pixomondo?).

Yes but that's at least retro analog cheese :D

50one
04-29-2014, 06:29 AM
Favourite dragon?!

Starsky & Hutch dragon...

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/ferrellmad-starskyandhutch-590x350.jpg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oSXx6MIpB4M

Kaptive
04-29-2014, 09:55 AM
The Dragonslayer dragon had a great tone, dark and brooding. So I don't know if I appreciate that more than the actual dragon itself. I could say the same for Reign of Fire... The dragons were big, dark, menacing... the film was meh, but the tone for the dragons worked for me.

Dragonheart wasn't my cup of tea, but I think I clearly have a problem with nice friendly dragons :)

Not entirely a dragon, but I like how they looked... the ring wraiths winged rides in LOTR The Two Towers (did they have a name? I'm sure they did).

Anyway, so there you go. I've discovered that I am personally far more interested in the feeling and tone surrounding the dragon than the actual look of the dragon itself.

Oh! One last one... the Dragons in the game Skyrim, I think they got it very right. Also the Skyrim advert... if a little brief (wait until the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AenlOEXao

Kris

prometheus
04-29-2014, 01:10 PM
The Dragonslayer dragon had a great tone, dark and brooding. So I don't know if I appreciate that more than the actual dragon itself. I could say the same for Reign of Fire... The dragons were big, dark, menacing... the film was meh, but the tone for the dragons worked for me.

Dragonheart wasn't my cup of tea, but I think I clearly have a problem with nice friendly dragons :)

Not entirely a dragon, but I like how they looked... the ring wraiths winged rides in LOTR The Two Towers (did they have a name? I'm sure they did).

Anyway, so there you go. I've discovered that I am personally far more interested in the feeling and tone surrounding the dragon than the actual look of the dragon itself.

Oh! One last one... the Dragons in the game Skyrim, I think they got it very right. Also the Skyrim advert... if a little brief (wait until the end)

Kris

yeah..I think I prefer the darker style too and preferably more realism...However unlikely that is of course:)
so the Dragon portrait in Reign of fire comes before dragonheart, or eragons sapphira and the likes, I need to get some time and see some game of thrones episodes before I can judge that, they looked kind of cool anyway.

The LOTR bewinged creatures is Nazgul, probably donīt qualify as dragons, very similar ..but not quite, I thought they were done very well anyway.
Smaug will qualify, unfortunatly I have only seen small clips from Smaug and not on a bigger screen or anything, so it donīt impress that way.
The skyrim dragon I will have to check up on.

The dragons in reign of fire were perhaps shown to little, I liked the way how the camera had a hard time to catch them in sight so to speak, and how fast they moved, I reallly liked the end scene where the dragon confronts christian bales role figure on the ground and how it moves and the sound and hizzing and the facial expression is on the really pissed off dragon before getīs blown away.

Itīs interesting to see how far back the Dragon has been a symbol for something, from old midevial times and old myths of knights and dragons, st: george and the dragon, and how it both has been a symbol for some things, it might be both evil which in christian faith it has become the devil itself olmost, then we got all the chineze dragons.
Some Dragons seem to have been depicted as more Good hearted than evil in later times I think.

I wonder a little about the symbolics of the Dragon, how it portraits fear, admiration, power and magic, freedom bravery etc...and also a little about another creature..namely the Eagle which also has wings, it can hit you from above and sees all things from a very far distance above us.

So no wonder the Eagle is a symbol for the united states and it was for other mighty countries of power ..such as rome, and germany in the second world war.
I thought it was funny to see the eagles are coming in the LOTR movie return of the king, where they come to rescue against the nazguls.
I guess I might start to go off topic from the dragons if I carry on about the eagles.

Kina picked the Dragon as their symbol, wales too I think....sweden (correction sweden sort of had lions at one point, we got three king crowns now) and finland got lions, but Sweden made a nice fighting jet called"the dragon" I loved hearing the sound from that plane when it flew over our houses many years ago with an enourmous roar, and itīs deltawings looked so sweet...the problem with it was that the fire spitted out in the back and it had no flapping wings:)

Michael

Tranimatronic
04-29-2014, 01:11 PM
best dragon ever, for me, has to be the one in the last Harry Potter movie.
You dont need to know the back story when you see it. It looks like it has been chained up and mistreated for years. Its skin is pale and loose. It LOOKED and moved exactly as I would have imagined a dragon in its place to move.
Only problem was - it wasnt in the story for long enough......

Havent seen Smaug yet, though don't like the look of him from the trailer. It also bothers me the way they pronounce "Smawg". I always thought it would be "Smorg". oh well ;)

ernpchan
04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Why no votes for Puff the Magic Dragon?!

spherical
04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Everybody forgot.

Waves of light
04-29-2014, 02:50 PM
best dragon ever, for me, has to be the one in the last Harry Potter movie.
You dont need to know the back story when you see it. It looks like it has been chained up and mistreated for years. Its skin is pale and loose. It LOOKED and moved exactly as I would have imagined a dragon in its place to move.
Only problem was - it wasnt in the story for long enough......

Havent seen Smaug yet, though don't like the look of him from the trailer. It also bothers me the way they pronounce "Smawg". I always thought it would be "Smorg". oh well ;)

Had totally forgotten about the one from HP Deathly Hallows Part 2 - The almost white one that guarded the vaults, which I believe Dneg were responsible for.

Ryan Roye
04-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Trogdor! The Burninator!

http://totaltechconcepts.com/portals/0/Trogdor.jpg

Aside from just being rediculous; homestarrunner was a huge inspiration when I was learning animation.

Cryonic
04-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Itīs a widely (overused?) figure in myths and in movies.

So Which dragon are your favourite dragon? and please feel free to mention some simple motivation on why..be it the looks, the cool vfx animation, or itīs behavior etc...or how the actual movie or story worked out.

could it be something like reign of fire, dragonheart, eragon, dragonslayer..some other myth, fantasy? or maybe lino grandis dragon content for lightwave:) (not sure if he modeled it though?)

Later on we might discuss..why it has been so popular?..right from the early days of knights and their first appearances in dictated stories.

Michael

My favorites are the Gem dragons that were added to the D&D staple of monsters back in the early 90s.

As to why they are popular, well, the dragons we see today in popular media are nothing like the dragons of the tales of knights. George and the Dragon isn't about a knight facing down a 100' flying, fire-breathing behemoth, but about a man taking on something like a Komodo dragon.

Rayek
04-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Obviously Falkor. No other dragon compares.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fCyXu8_jE7k/UFeOrkz3YpI/AAAAAAAABMM/86rHjEDjZXs/s1600/the-neverending-story.jpg

VIDandCGI
05-01-2014, 12:53 AM
"The LOTR bewinged creatures is Nazgul" - not quite true, Nazgul is another name for the Black Riders, Ringwraiths, The Nine , Kings of Men, Ulairi etc. The actual flying beasts have no name as far as I remember (Haven't read the books in a while) but are described as wyrm like yet older than dragonkind having been summoned by the dark lord and nurtured upon Fell meat. Hence often referred to as Fellbeasts or FelBeasts most often. I believe this misconception mainly comes from the films, but also depictions in other media usually related to the films.

I'll slap my own wrist for nit picking - I love the films but everybody should read at least the core body of books.

Favourite dragon: Smrgol & Gorbash from "The Flight of Dragons" and to a lesser extent Bryagh.

Smrgol just had the feeling of being an old wise dragon perhaps a little stuck in his ways. Wiley.

Gorbash was inexperienced and really brought some comedy as he tried to balance his new found excitement at being a dragon with the graveness of the situation he was thrust into.

Bryagh definition of an evil dragon, Big, Ruthless & Ugly.

Plenty of other good dragons that play minor roles too.

prometheus
05-01-2014, 07:51 AM
My favorites are the Gem dragons that were added to the D&D staple of monsters back in the early 90s.

As to why they are popular, well, the dragons we see today in popular media are nothing like the dragons of the tales of knights. George and the Dragon isn't about a knight facing down a 100' flying, fire-breathing behemoth, but about a man taking on something like a Komodo dragon.

yeah..they were quite small at medivial depictions, In Rhodos there was a dragonslayer. I Think the pope officially titled "Gozione" as a dragonslayer he slayed a dragon in Rhodos, and the head was hanged up in on the walls of a castle, later on it was a confirmed crocodile head but it dissapeared at some time.

Michael

prometheus
05-01-2014, 07:54 AM
"The LOTR bewinged creatures is Nazgul" - not quite true, Nazgul is another name for the Black Riders, Ringwraiths, The Nine , Kings of Men, Ulairi etc. The actual flying beasts have no name as far as I remember (Haven't read the books in a while) but are described as wyrm like yet older than dragonkind having been summoned by the dark lord and nurtured upon Fell meat. Hence often referred to as Fellbeasts or FelBeasts most often. I believe this misconception mainly comes from the films, but also depictions in other media usually related to the films.

I'll slap my own wrist for nit picking - I love the films but everybody should read at least the core body of books.

You are probably right about that, my fault...I picked the sentence wrong in the movies "never get between a nazgul and his prey" seems they werenīt named by Tolkien ..other than a mention of the as fell-beasts.
the riders I thought only was called ring wraith..but are of course also Nazgul...and black riders etc.
Unfortunatly I havenīt read the book, I donīt enjoy books unfortunatly...donīt have the patience for it.

VonBon
05-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Bahamut From Final Fantasy

Qexit
05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Two all time favourites for me would be the Ice Dragon from Noggin the Nog and the Soup Dragon from The Clangers. Not forgetting Idris the Welsh Dragon from Ivor the Engine. Why ? Simple, they all bring back lovely memories from my childhood. It helps that each one had a special, endearing and unique personality thanks to the creators, writers and animators who brought them to life.

Then there would be Malificent as a dragon in Disney's Sleeping Beauty. And how about Spot, the dragon who lived under the stairs at the Munsters home. I could go on but suffice to say there isn't one particular dragon I could single out as being my all-time favourite.

Kaptive
05-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Obviously Falkor. No other dragon compares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdIlD4VF-Q&index=32&list=FLSifJ7gGAriiSQiZxPlfcwQ

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

cresshead
05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
easy...

http://www.exposedmagazine.co.uk/images/srv/calendar/news_october_2013/03.jpg

http://www.davidrevoy.com/data/images/blog/2010/sintel/sintel-blender-org_frontpage2.jpg

http://www.wetanz.com/assets/Uploads/jatdbrandhero.jpg

http://www.david-tennant-news.com/wp-content/uploads/images/easyblog_shared/Back%20Catalogue%20Films/how-to-train-your-dragon.jpg

http://media.portable.tv/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Game-of-Thrones-Recap-Season-4-Episode-1-Daenerys-Dragon-Portable.jpg

VIDandCGI
05-02-2014, 03:15 AM
young gorbash

Gorbash all grown up and inhabited by peter.

Just posting couple of pics as I went down a nostalgia trip and went and rewatched this animated film again after posting yesterday.

Intro song is great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwuhdhYL8UY

Great Story if you get the chance to see it I would recommend it - Just keep in mind it was animated in the 80's so it does show its age.

@Qexit My partner loves the fact the Soup Dragon was mentioned she loves the Clangers, Bagpuss, Finger Mouse, Moomins, Will-o-the wisp etc. we grew up on that era of children's telly.

Qexit
05-02-2014, 03:23 AM
@Qexit My partner loves the fact the Soup Dragon was mentioned she loves the Clangers, Bagpuss, Finger Mouse, Moomins, Will-o-the wisp etc. we grew up on that era of children's telly.Good to hear I'm not the only one who has fond memories of these old children's TV series. Did you know they are going to make some more episodes of the Clangers ? They will still be stop-motion too :-)

CaptainMarlowe
05-02-2014, 12:34 PM
As I was a very young kid, the first dragon I've seen was the dragon of disney's sleeping beauty. Definitely my vote for him/her.

Dexter2999
05-02-2014, 02:56 PM
All of them.

safetyman
05-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Interesting article about some of the various dragons we're mentioning here:

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/how-big-are-game-of-thrones-dragons/

It also has an infographic comparing the sizes.

prometheus
05-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Interesting article about some of the various dragons we're mentioning here:

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/how-big-are-game-of-thrones-dragons/

It also has an infographic comparing the sizes.

Nice find there, and Toruk is in there to be some sort of dragon type..By the way, how should one qualify to be a dragon? maybe the alien creature should qualify:) at least they call it a "dragon" in the alien 3 movie.

I thought all the flying creatures was quite nicely done in avatar as opposed to many of the other creatures in the film, a little of topic..but I didnīt like the animation of the horse type creatures or the big rhino type creatures or the black lepard style predators, not recalling what they were called, I just didnīt like how they moved in the animation, the flying ones was at a different level in vfx quality.

Back to dragons, I thought the reign of fire Dragon "queen" was much bigger than 50 meters...but maybe not?
and we need someone to invent larger ones 70 meters...come on, thatīs nothing:D

Michael

prometheus
05-02-2014, 06:08 PM
"Order of the dragon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Dragon

Vlad tepes...(historical person) was a member of the dragon order(correction His father was, later on vlad tepes becomes the inspiration for Bram stokers "Dracula" and it connects with a myth around the connection of christianity
and the beast/devil....

blackmondy
05-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Hands down for me...."Reign of Fire".

I can never understand why it's so underrated. Perhaps because it's a British movie ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZxjxZ-0wRE

prometheus
05-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Hands down for me...."Reign of Fire".

I can never understand why it's so underrated. Perhaps because it's a British movie ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZxjxZ-0wRE

Yes my favourite too, the animation was just great and the looks of them and lighting compositing ...and they were bad *** mean, the story wasnīt really connected to any fantasy which made it the most realistic set so to speak...even if it is highly unrealistic anyway.

Unfortunatly I donīt think any of the actors in the supporting role did a good job ..for this movie that is.
Editing and dialog was a little boring...and the manuscript should have been worked on more.

for vfx complaints on fire..well at that time it looked very good, looking back I see some particle stuff that pops up as not so good today, maybe if they had acess to a good fluid system at that time..but I think most of it was a mix of real fire and particle works, as I understand it they in fact used a fluid simulation to drive the particles and then volume render it with particles, thatīs sort of what I can see in some "smoke blobs" it is particles very smoothed out, but they turn up at blobs and dies out not so good at some points, the motion of smoke was good, but I think they should have rendered with fluid volume instead...but I guess the fluid system might not have been good to render with at that time.

I love the camera style how it was distorted and also jittering at some times, and how we got a sense of this dragon being hard to follow etc.
Animation of the dragon characters..top notch I think.

Vfx behind...
http://www.awn.com/animationworld/reign-fire-breathing-life-dragons

well..I kind of liked it, maybe 3+ my girlfriend did not, and called it...reign of stupidness or something like that:)

Michael

prometheus
05-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Did someone post the featurette behind the scenes for creating Smaug?

otherwise..here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvr7DSEHcic

Eagle66
05-07-2014, 12:15 PM

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/making-of-game-of-thrones-season-3-pixomondo/

The dragons in Series "Games of Thrones" are the new benchmark for relistic look and animation.

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/itsart/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ia13.jpg

Daenerys Targaryen's dragons making of

http://video.wired.com/watch/design-fx-game-of-thrones-dragon-effects-exclusive

prometheus
05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
http://www.itsartmag.com/features/making-of-game-of-thrones-season-3-pixomondo/

The dragons in Series "Games of Thrones" are the new benchmark for relistic look and animation.

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/itsart/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ia13.jpg

Daenerys Targaryen's dragons making of

well..havenīt seen those dragons in the series that much actually, just caught some glimpses here and there, the seem to have study bat and the eagle to get the motion behavior, but I donīt really think it looks quite right ...or how one should put it since there is no real life reference.

The behavior and character animation of the reign of fire dragons were in my opinion way more what I would expect it to look like to convince me and match my concepts of it...for those dragons there was a mix of the snake, lepard,lion, vulture, hawk, crocodile ...and mixing all those characteristics in a proper way made it belieavable to me, maybe a bat a and an eagle simply wasnīt enough material to convey nothing more than just the flying behavior.

So No..I donīt think itīs the new benchmark, those dragons in reign of fire... and especially the animation that were made many years ago still holds the spot for me as unsurpassed, though these game of thrones dragons look nice anyway and probably some of the best seen in tv- series.

Michael

bazsa73
05-08-2014, 04:15 AM
I love the one Lino did for the demo materials :D I just studied it yesterday.

prometheus
05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I love the one Lino did for the demo materials :D I just studied it yesterday.

Yes..that one is cool to have as lightwave content,(Lightwave 11.03 content/scenes/creatures/dragon.... itīs free for everyone to enhance with lighting and add textures, subsurface scattering in the wings etc...was actually fiddling with it a while ago too..testing some materials to get good subsurface scattering, not all shaders and materials working properly with VPR though, so Iīm not sure which to choose...preferably the ones that work with VPR for tweaking freedom so to speak.

I reckon Lino Grandi rigged it...animated it, but not sure if he also modeled it? it lacks some dragon scales though...but such things takes some time to work on of course.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121810&d=1399574603

Michael

Waves of light
07-20-2014, 02:54 AM
Finally got to see the second Hobbit film and I have to say that Smaug is flawless.