PDA

View Full Version : Proton's distance morph trick for instances ?

Emmanuel
04-28-2014, 04:11 AM
Ok, here comes a tricky one: remember that video from Proton about using nodes, null and morphs to animate something (see below). Now I thought I could use this trick to make a little medical animation and apply that effect to an instanced object. The object has the morph maps and the node setup applied an should bend/scale when the null comes close etc. Unfortunately, it seems the instances really only mimic what the base object does, so they only react to the null, if the null comes close to the base object (which is outside the actual animation area).Is there a clever (nodal ?) way to make the instances react to the null, if the null comes close to the instances ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxPAUGz4YY

spherical
04-28-2014, 04:25 AM
Logically, I'd say no. Swampy will most likely prove me wrong but, as far as geometry is concerned (not color and such) the instances would follow the original and be constrained to it; not be able to be modified each unto itself.

Thomas Leitner
04-28-2014, 04:45 AM
You only can animate transform, rotate and scale individual for separate instances.
Itīs not possible for deformation like bones, displacement, mdds, morphs and so on.

I got this answer from NewTek support that this is a limitation of geometry pipeline:
"Each instance would need to be unique meshes, which is out of scope for current geometry pipeline implementation.
They would need to be unique meshes instead of instances. The same limitation affects bones as well."

Maybe DP Instance (donīt confuse it with DP Instancer) works, because DP Instance works with an different approach (volumetric rendering) than the native instancing (at least it works with different point caches).

ciao
Thomas