PDA

View Full Version : is it legal to sell my legit lw 8 upgrade ?

rednova
04-27-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi all:
I have original lightwave 8 upgrade cd's, is already uninstalled and do not use it anymore.
The main reason is I only use now, lightwave 9.6 (also legit)
Since I will never use lightwave 8 upgrade anymore, I rather sell it and use the money
to buy lightwave stuff.
Is it legal to sell my legit lw 8 upgrade ?
And what do I have to do ?
Thank you !!!

ernpchan
04-27-2014, 05:36 PM
So you own two copies of LightWave? Or is the upgrade to 8 tied to your copy of 9? If it's tied to your copy of 9 then no, you can't sell it since your not selling the program as a whole.

rednova
04-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Ok, Thank you for telling me !!!!

spherical
04-27-2014, 10:41 PM
True. The essential item in the mix that allows either copy to run is the dongle hardware lock. You could sell the v8 copy but the dongle would have to go with it for it to work for the buyer. That would mean that your v9 copy would not run, except in Discovery Mode.

rednova
05-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi:
I have more info, the dongle I use it came with lw 5.0 (installed and working)
The lightwave 8 is an upgrade cd which is not tied to the dongle nor lw 5.0
I just bought it separate and should be able to work as an upgrade for
a different system which already have a dongle. Can I still not sale lw 8 upgrade ?
Thank you !!!

Phil
05-04-2014, 10:11 AM
The LW8 upgrade has its own serial number which is tied to your dongle as part of the licensing system (the registration system requires the serial number in order to provide the license file that enables the full license of LW to operate). If you have only ever purchased one full version of LW and then upgraded that version over time, those upgrades are all linked to the original full version via the individual serial numbers. You can't sell the LW 8 upgrade, in this scenario, if you've upgraded that single version to 9.x.

If you bought an LW8 upgrade but never actually registered it, and upgraded to 9.x from your LW 5.0 purchase, that might be fine to sell - Customer Support could probably confirm that. As I understand it, the act of registering and enabling a LightWave upgrade is the point at which the serial is linked to the previous versions that you have purchased.

spherical
05-04-2014, 05:06 PM
That may or may not be true, but if there is only one dongle, parallel port or USB, there is only one license. Whether the v8 upgrade was registered or the v5 was later upgraded to v9, and v8 was never used (which it was—it was merely uninstalled, as was v5), just confuses the issue and is irrelevant. Essentially, the install disk is not what is being purchased or sold. The license key, as enabled by the dongle, is what is being paid for. One dongle = one license, no matter what version it is. All you'd be selling is a Discovery Edition.

Otherwise, I have... let's see.... 8 copies of LightWave for sale. Any takers?

Phil
05-04-2014, 09:39 PM
That may or may not be true, but if there is only one dongle, parallel port or USB, there is only one license. Whether the v8 upgrade was registered or the v5 was later upgraded to v9, and v8 was never used (which it was—it was merely uninstalled, as was v5), just confuses the issue and is irrelevant. Essentially, the install disk is not what is being purchased or sold. The license key, as enabled by the dongle, is what is being paid for. One dongle = one license, no matter what version it is. All you'd be selling is a Discovery Edition.

No, it isn't irrelevant. A customer could, quite easily and perfectly legally, purchase the LW 8 upgrade and never register it. They could then purchase LW 9 against the LW 5.0 seat and utilize it. Since they never registered the LW 8 upgrade (which is required for a license key to be issued), they could legitimately resell the LW8 upgrade. The LW9 upgrade was against the LW 5.0 seat, after all.

The upgrade is not usable without a preexisting serial number, but as far as I know, one is not required at the point of ordering the upgrade. As long as a license key hasn't been issued (indicating registration), the upgrade is not tied to an existing seat and, as such, can be resold even without LW3DG's consent (since there's no license to transfer).

If you have 8 upgrades that you never registered and thus have no license key for, you do indeed have 8 upgrade licenses (for those versions) to sell. I doubt that's the case, though.

spherical
05-04-2014, 10:04 PM
But he did install and use v8. The only people who can weigh in on this, and therefore have any import at all, are NewTek Sales and/or Support.

Shnoze Shmon
05-05-2014, 03:22 PM

hmm how many would I have available for sale....
9.6, 10, 10.1, 11, 11.3, 11.5, 11.5.1, 11.6, 11.6.1, 11.6.2, 11.6.3 oh wait I'm using that last one! :D