PDA

View Full Version : Nevron Facial Capture

Megalodon2.0
04-27-2014, 12:52 AM
Okay, I understand the AU - animation units - that Lino showed in his great video: NevronMotion - Kinect Facial Control

However, is it possible to acquire eye blinks and eye movement through the Kinect? It seems that the facial capture is quite limiting, though I'm hoping that it's just because it hasn't been well documented. Will there be more Animation Units available to connect via the Kinect?

I already have Nevron and have just ordered a Kinect. Lino did a great job showing how it works (and I hope it's as easy to setup as he shows) but it would be great to have more "channels" for greater facial movements. Is this possible?

Ryan Roye
04-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Eye blinking and eye movement isn't tracked by the Kinect to my knowledge and even if it was the resolution likely isn't high enough to track it reliably. One-sided actions such as a raised eyebrow isn't something you can do with the Kinect in Lightwave out of the box.

You can, however, tie up the things the kinect does track and attach them to just about anything in Lightwave. Example: You could take the head rotation and hook it up to a null that drives how the eyes move; you'd have to do it in a separate animation pass, but it is an option.

Also, at least with my face and available lighting setup I have a lot of trouble getting solid results when it comes to the eyebrows, so from my experience the greatest value you get from the Kinect facial tracking is fast lipsyncing. I don't do a lot of hand-animating anymore when making characters talk... that's a drudgery task I won't miss doing.

Megalodon2.0
04-27-2014, 09:59 PM
I was afraid that might be the case. Sad that eye blinking at the very least isn't supported since THAT is a pretty big element of facial capture. Animating eye direction is something I was doing manually already, so that isn't too bad. But once you've got the primary facial motions captured with the Kinect, how easy is it to add eye blinks manually?

I'm just looking for the subtleties of facial animation. I've used TAFA and really like it, but my limited expertise in animation makes it difficult to create the nuanced facial animation I'm looking for. We've got an Optitrack mocap system that works very well and has saved us an incredible amount of time, but I've been avoiding adding their facial capture system and Nevron looked like it had potential. It still might - I'll find out.

Thanks!

erikals
04-28-2014, 03:26 AM
i'd rather add endomorph blinks later to be honest, as it's fairly easy to do, and gives precise control...

for Face Cap though, it wouldn't surprise me if that Optitrack mocap has much better precision than Nevron Facial Cap

ernesttx
04-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Was there more replies to this thread earlier today? I swore I saw various replies by chazriker about facial motion capture and some videos he had done posted somewhere but now I can't find them. One video featured the alien and one of his characters and how he was talking about doing multiple captures for neck or head rotations. I was going to watch them. Chazriker are those videos on a website somewhere?

Megalodon2.0
04-28-2014, 02:38 PM
i'd rather add endomorph blinks later to be honest, as it's fairly easy to do, and gives precise control...

for Face Cap though, it wouldn't surprise me if that Optitrack mocap has much better precision than Nevron Facial Cap

That's what I do now through TAFA. But as I see it, Nevron uses endomorphs as well - so can you bake out the Nevron motion capture and then ADD endomorph blinks?

And yes, I'm sure the Optitrack system is far more accurate, but it's also around $2k just for the software. ;) (Fortunately I could use the same cameras that I use for full body capture.)

Ryan Roye
04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
I swore I saw various replies by chazriker about facial motion capture and some videos he had done posted somewhere but now I can't find them.

This thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139289-Custom-rig-with-Nevron-and-other-videos) contains all of the Nevron-related videos i've done.

ernesttx
04-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Thank you Chazriker. I found some of YouTube. Good stuff.