PDA

View Full Version : Good Realflow/Hybrido particles and foam tutorial?

euge04
04-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Hello!

Does anyone know of a good tutorial that goes over setting up projects in Hybrido and importing the particle data for the water/mist/foam into Lightwave and comping everything together in Lightwave or a program like Nuke?

DiMagic
05-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Lightwave can`t get deal with huge number of particles. I tried to load foam (5million, not so much actually) particles - it took 30 minutes. horrible (real flow load it for 10-15 seconds)
Anyway I even wanted to get visialisation, but render stucks in area where that particles placed. I used Hv volumetric, I found that is fastest way, but not enough fast for that purpose ))

prometheus
05-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Lightwave can`t get deal with huge number of particles. I tried to load foam (5million, not so much actually) particles - it took 30 minutes. horrible (real flow load it for 10-15 seconds)
Anyway I even wanted to get visialisation, but render stucks in area where that particles placed. I used Hv volumetric, I found that is fastest way, but not enough fast for that purpose ))

yes..we need even better particle amount handling, I suppose you did use the 64 bit version of lightwave? trying it with 32 bit would be a though one.

GoatDude
05-11-2014, 08:00 PM
+1 for some updated RF-Lightwave tutorials. Recently purchased Learning edition and am not having much luck getting anything realistic looking.

hrgiger
05-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Instead of importing the particles, have you tried converting the particles to a mesh in real flow and then importing the mesh data?

jhinrichs
05-12-2014, 05:30 AM
I've never gotten the Mist stuff to work. The lightwave plugin loads the field info but there doesn't appear to be a way to render it. I posted on the boards about it, they replied and said they would fix it and nothing happened. That was back in 2013, the plugin hasn't received an update since last I checked.

As far as splash and foam I usually bring them in as hypervoxels and render them using hypervoxel sprites. I mesh the base fluid in RealFlow and bring that into Lightwave, I've had render issues using RFRK to mesh at runtime.

Realflow 2014 is coming soon, maybe the mist stuff will be addressed with the new release.

Another option: If you're an enthusiast and just want to try and make an interesting, non-commercial ocean simulation you could try Houdini Apprentice. I think it's still 100 bucks for a year. I was able to get all the Realflow stuff, including mist, to load and render in Houdini Apprentice using the Realflow plugins. Houdini Apprentice has a full featured built-in simulator for small and large scale fluids as well, although there is a much larger learning curve involved then just bringing in the Realflow stuff and surfacing it. I ultimately abandoned Houdini because the renderer, while beautiful, is ridiculously slow compared to Lightwave.

DiMagic
05-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Instead of importing the particles, have you tried converting the particles to a mesh in real flow and then importing the mesh data?

If course. I always create mesh. But foam and splashes contain a million particles too.

Netvudu
05-12-2014, 08:48 AM
I ultimately abandoned Houdini because the renderer, while beautiful, is ridiculously slow compared to Lightwave.

Not at al true! Mantra is kinda slower, but also does many things LW renderer canīt (currently) such as non-flickering radiosity, raytraced SSS and an ungodly number of polys or particles at render time.
Iīll admit it is clearly oriented to studios more than individuals, but Iīve been getting a lot of nice projects from my students with good quality in acceptable times.

Probably LWīs renderer is faster, thatīs true, and indeed you need to know Mantra really well to get render times at acceptable times but the options are there. What I find REALLY important from Mantra is that it doesnīt limit you in any way. LWīs renderer is way more accesible and friendly, but there are some brick walls you gotta face right now.
But Iīm really happy about the current LW direction and Iīm sure render-wise itīs going to get better pretty soon.

Finally, Iīm sure nobody at Lightwave or Side Effects would be surprised to find that Houdini fits better in a particle or fluid-oriented project, or that Lightwave renders faster regular projects. These two guys actually play pretty well together :D

jhinrichs
05-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Maybe I'll give Houdini another go. I got it installed still but I think my 1 year Apprentice subscription ends in June.

DiMagic
06-05-2014, 07:46 AM
so ^ ) here is my first effort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Y1RyQLQVg

at some places mesh looks silly.
200 frames
40million domain particles
20million foam particles
and some splashes

foam pass visualisation took enormous amount of time - about 60 hours. for such a small dots -\

prometheus
06-06-2014, 11:54 AM
so ^ ) here is my first effort.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Y1RyQLQVg

at some places mesh looks silly.
200 frames
40million domain particles
20million foam particles
and some splashes

foam pass visualisation took enormous amount of time - about 60 hours. for such a small dots -\

Thatīs not bad, except for the general surfacing of the water surface in terms of shading and reflection and bump scale maybe, but the foam and motion from the wakes arenīt bad at all for a starter.

You might wanīt to contact mercury3d whoīs been doing some experimental real flow stuff here and there..
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ZDDVGnIl8zPj3vAF5lJcw/videos

DiMagic
06-07-2014, 03:57 AM
Thanks for reply!
I ll try to talk with mercury3d.

I made some changes in water material. I think it looks little bit better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJxJ1haHSD0

prometheus
06-07-2014, 07:19 AM
looks a little better, but I think it might need more reflection blur if the water is sort of upset with waves, also...donīt know if you have fast fresnel shader on that surface?
try that..then I think the bump/waves need another procedural ..or if you simply should invert it.
It will look pretty nice if you get the surface right in the end.

Michael

DiMagic
06-08-2014, 09:38 PM
I used fast fresnel and ifw nodal for bump - wave procedural texture.