PDA

View Full Version : Robot Film "Construct" Could Change Everything You Know About CGI (Indie Short)

robertoortiz
04-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Quote:
"When filmmaker Kevin Margo isn’t stuck at his day job as a leading visual effects supervisor for everything from Hollywood films to video games, he spends his days and nights inventing a revolutionary new process that, he believes, will change the way people think about computer graphics in cinema.

Since his short film, Grounded, debuted to critical acclaim, the gears in Margo’s mind have been moving. Absorbing the world of visual effects and tackling the problems presented by grossly inefficient, industry-standard CGI practices, he’s out to prove his solutions with his forthcoming short film, Construct.
"
http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/robot-film-construct-may-change-everything-you-know-about-cgi

Netvudu
04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
I donīt see anything that could change not just everything, but not even anything I know about CGI.
Whatīs new about the method heīs using? itīs been done several times alredy. Only now itīs cheaper.
Moreover, the fact that he used VRay tells me either he knows very little about render engines, or that he wants to showcase/be showcased by Chaos or VRay community, because the amount of feedback he gets on "real-time" is retarded, for lack of a more polite word.
If you donīt count the real-time characters (which were done for Avatar and Tintin and many other hi-end productions by now), Iīve done exactly the same thing with Lightwave and a tablet, moving around a CG space, and getting a million times better screen refresh and feedback.

This project really screams product promotion and over-hype.
Moreover, the script, from what you can tell already, looks pretty cliche.

Yes, you can tell I donīt like the project much.

Danner
04-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Just seemed like the logical step forward. Integrating a "studio live" functionality with a gpu renderer. I think this could be done just as well with LW octane running in a box with 4 titan black cards.

Dexter2999
04-25-2014, 12:16 PM
I'll start with the negative and end with the positive.

The movements of the robots are too organic. It gives it a look of "people in robot suits". (I had the same issue witht he robots from ELYSIUM.) This extends to the reaction and pauses of the robots. Too human. Incongruous.

Now for the positives. It looks great. And even though it has been done before, it depends on the level of success and I think the GPU rendering makes it easier to get excited about.

We have come a long way since the first shots I saw of this kind of tech 10 years ago which was closer to virtual reality from 20 years ago.

dsol
04-26-2014, 04:40 AM
This could totally be done with Lightwave + Octane. Though not sure about the realtime playback of new takes - maybe that should be a feature request?

probiner
04-26-2014, 05:11 AM
April 1st. Nice day to post innovations :D

Fluidity of robots is strange, like others said. Although the whole setup looks interesting, the motion preview quality as lot of room for improvement.

To be honest I would not see this for the story :)

Cheers

erikals
04-26-2014, 07:12 AM
i liked it, thanks for posting... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

can even be done in LightWave these days, using either Octane or the LightWave engine itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRArw9l3hFw

cool times... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

bazsa73
04-30-2014, 11:34 AM
I don't care.

JamesCurtis
05-06-2014, 02:40 PM
I agree that robotic movement is too smooth. Looks to me like a straight forward conversion of motion capture with no regard to mechanical physics in any way.

thomascheng
05-12-2014, 09:11 PM
I don't mind the movement of the robots. The future is moving away from robot with standard mechanical movements and much more toward human characteristics. I do agree that this is a big Nvidia and Chaos Group promotional video. We already have this with a bunch of movies and can do this to a less extent in Lightwave.

erikals
05-12-2014, 09:38 PM
was thinking this too, though maybe a more mechanical movement would look more right / cooler... ?

myself, didn't mind, as i thought it made them even more "human"