PDA

View Full Version : Proposal to the Community & Newtek: Lightwave Short Shorts Program(Animated OR Live )

robertoortiz
04-25-2014, 07:48 AM
As we all know the development of next gen LW is in a state of reconstruction.

I propose to the community is to take a page from the early development of Maya and do SHORTS.
The shorts films with a duration of 1minute to 10minutes, can be done wither in Live Action or animated.

Newtek could pick up an coming talent/established talent from inside and OUTSIDE the LW community and provide temporary licenses of LW and rendering services.

In return they get to ASK forany tool they feel they need to do their work, can do workflow suggestions, and hell even allow some functionality recording lessons to see what are the areas the workflow can be improved. The coool thing is that this would help guide the development of next gen LW.
The artists keep the rights to any IP they develop but Newtek helps them in getting the shorts into festivals. After all it is FREE PRESS for them.

There is a precedent for this,
the development of Maya 1.0 was helped greatly by Chris Landreth's 1998 animated short film called "Bingo".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu9L23A6yDU

And the Blender community does this sort of thing ALL THE TIME.

What do you guys think?
I am looking forward to your comments and ideas.

-R

jeric_synergy
04-25-2014, 11:25 AM
A lot of this seems a bit redundant and vague as a program: I'd expect MOST animators to have a few shorts plans/scripts/storyboards sitting about.

To make this less... "floppy", more like a contest, I suggest the following conditions be set:

The creators specify the suggested workflow/feature enhancements WHEN THEY SUBMIT the work. (IOW, before they win.)
The winning work(s) are displayed at LW3dG's booth at SIGGRAPH, on a dedicated monitor, in a loop. (With other stuff too.)
Winners are decided by a panel of distinguished judges, of which LW3dG staffers comprise no more than 49% of the panel.
Winners are inducted into the (confidential) Beta Tester Corps.

robertoortiz
04-25-2014, 11:43 AM
I would suggest inviting artists into the program, and maybe even commission work from them.
At least at the start.

I am concerned that they would not get quorum they need, thus invalidating the whole thing.

And hell invite animators who might not have used 3d before or have shown a ton of potential.
For example, Chris Jones from the Passenger would be a perfect candidate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGW0aQSgyxQ

Or consider inviting artists from other areas, like gaming, or arch viz.
The idea is to learn from them, in terms of what new directions they could take, instead of copying other apps.

OnlineRender
04-25-2014, 12:49 PM
finish Roughnecks