PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Rigging Problems

ChristopherVFX
04-24-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm having some difficulty rigging a model in Lightwave Layout. Here's a short video hopefully explaining what's happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=885YMbi64y0&feature=youtu.be :lwicon:

Skywatcher_NT
04-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Does the model have multiple layers ? Difficult to see what's wrong without knowing the model.

ChristopherVFX
04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
I believe it's just one layer. I'm not having to parent any part to the main body.

Ryan Roye
04-24-2014, 07:00 PM
This is likely happening due to the scale of your object. In all 3d applications, you need to be aware of the size of the model you are creating or are using. See below image:

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/ImportanceofScale.jpg

There is a certain point to where scaling things way too big or way too small in modeler or layout will adversely affect texturing, rigging, dynamics, and quite a few other things. This is applicable to all 3d programs; kind of like the concept of rotation orders, gimbal locking, and whatnot.

My suggestion is to always use a reference object when using or making models, such as a low poly dummy figurine that is scaled about ~1-10 meters tall in Lightwave. This will help you avoid modeling things way too large or too small. Scale down that car in modeler, save it, and then apply the bones in layout.

Oh... and welcome to Lightwave! :)

oliversimonnet
04-24-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm not convinced its a scaling issue. Although Ryan's point is a good one to keep in mind.

In the first part of the video its a bit odd. I don't know the model but, does it have any weight maps?
As the bones appear to be influencing only a few points; Possibly weighted them accidentally?

However! In the second part of the video it just looks like you're not parenting your bones to the mesh.
When adding bones, you first need to select the mesh you want them to affect. Or manually parent them after.
Otherwise they're just some bones, with nothing to influence :)

Welcome to the forums!

RebelHill
04-25-2014, 03:49 AM
As said... looks like your car is a multi layer object... bones will only affect the geo layer that they're created under (by default).

Dodgy
04-25-2014, 06:02 AM
Did you rest the bones? Not just activate them, but rest them, so the areas they affect are defined?

bobakabob
04-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Did you rest the bones? Not just activate them, but rest them, so the areas they affect are defined?

Yep, also best to work with bones deactivated ( Note - only ever resize using rest length control in bone properties). Then when you have them placed correctly click 'select all bones of current object'. Now press 'r' to 'rest' them (or click rest bone orientation) which instantly associates the bones with the object. If your object is multilayered in Modeler, name all the seperate elements into Parts and copy pasts into a single layer (you can always identify parts later and select by clicking 'w' (followed by + / -) which gives you a handy index of poly meshes and surface info.)

Deforming a solid body object may give you unpredictable results when manipulating bones - if this isn't a sud d mesh make sure it's tripled for rendering. You're far better deforming sub D models with bones as they have a more 'flexible' quality.

To achieve the effect of distorting this car you could also try morphs or if you're flush check out the superb lattice and cage deformer plugins by Japanese developers 3rd Powers.

ChristopherVFX
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys! I will look into it.