PDA

View Full Version : Converting a DWF file?

djwaterman
04-23-2014, 09:36 AM
I've been asked to look into this, they have a DWF file and you can view the rotating 3D object using a DWF viewer, but is there any way to actually convert this into 3D geometry. Here also is a list of what the client says they can convert the file into (but I'm not sure they know what they're talking about with this.

IAM
DWG
BMP
CAT
DWF
DWFX
GIF
IGES
JPEG
JT
PDF
PNG
X_B
X_T
G
NEU
SAT
STP
STEP
STE
STL
TIFF
ZGL

Can I help them or just tell them I can't do it?

raymondtrace
04-23-2014, 10:35 AM
If they can convert it to STEP or IGES for you, you could use FreeCAD ( http://www.freecadweb.org/ ) to further convert it to OBJ, a more LW-friendly format.

Or you could probably download a trial version of Rhino 3D and convert it directly to LWO, with options.

djwaterman
04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
I'll download Rhino and see.

prometheus
04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
You donīt need any extra software for that nowadays if they export to stl, since lightwave nowadays has stl import nativly ..due to the print revolution...If you have 11.6 that is?
and stl was in their list, so just ask for stl.
and simply load it in modeler...then save out as obj if you want.

Also check thingyverse.com and test download some objects in stl format and import to lightwave, then go buy a printer:)

if you have modo, I think they have native support for iges, and they have it for sldasm sldprint which is solidworks format, and if you have cad loaders you can convert the tesselation to quads, allt that comes with a price tag of course.

Michael