PDA

View Full Version : I want Replace Object to replace everything?

objuan
04-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I have a robotic character setup, no bones, just one object with about 20 layers. In layout I got one arm and all the fingers set up, and then did a mirror hierarchy to get the other arm, same with the legs.
Cool, it works, I did my animation and I am happy (aside from the fact that I suck at character animation.)

Now I want to swap out the object, to render a different pass on the same animation but with some different textures and features in the model.

If I select my base object and say "Replace - with Object" it replace some of my layers, but not all of them. Not the cloned ones, or a layer that I added after my initial setup. I can do them 1 by 1 with "Replace - with Layer" but there are a lot of them and it will be a pain.

Is there a script or something that will go through my scene and find every ObjectA layer and replace it with it's corresponding ObjectB layer?

Thanks

JoePoe
04-23-2014, 07:49 AM
There may be a script.... but try this:

Open your .lws in a text editor (save as a new name to be safe) and do a global replace.... ObjectA with ObjectB. Save. Open new file in Layout see what happens.
Basically one click. Should work. :hat:

(assuming, as you stated, that everything is the same layer wise and the only difference is the lwo name)

ernpchan
04-23-2014, 08:10 AM
I have a script that does this. Let me see if I still have it.

jeric_synergy
04-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Isn't this a pretty major bug??? (Esp. the cloned items.)

In what case WOULDN'T it be a bug, but a feature?

erikals
04-23-2014, 09:57 AM
you can use this >
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/replace-all-with-object

ernpchan
04-23-2014, 10:06 AM
you can use this >
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/replace-all-with-object

Does this work with objects that have layers? My scripts work with layered objects. Lscript code was recently added that make dealing with layered objects easier.

erikals
04-23-2014, 11:42 AM
hm, actually, it doesn't work quite right, just tested now,

it resets the object position to 0,0,0... :/

so basically only good for nulls, cloned objects, or imported single layered objects...