PDA

View Full Version : Turbulent wind?

Taro Yoshimoto
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Hi, I need to animate some thousands of petals in the wind, that accumulate on the ground and then move toward the camera, billowing nicely like real petals.

Problem is, the winds in LW are quite strange. Is there's any tricks to get a wind like the turbulance in Trapcode Particular?

Also I wonder if bullet can do low gravity stuff, floating around.

thanks
t

Mr_Q
04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
The old MD2000 plugin was really good at the leaf gag. It's still in LW too, just hidden. You can search for it and add it to your menus. Bullet is an option but it's not as evolved. HardFX might be an option instead of PFX...or a mix of both. You really need to have a good advanced understanding of any of the systems though. Then you can get what you want from them.

bazsa73
04-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Konichiva!

here we go....

Maybe this is not the one you want but you get the idea. Just move everything around a bit and add vibration to the motion of
the particles. These wind forces are somewhat intuitive to use.

prometheus
04-22-2014, 06:15 PM
You can also use a directional wind, and go to the vector tab, and use any texture you want for the wind, so it is the texture driving the motion of the particles that way, the texture will override the x,y.z axis...but not if you use additive blending mode for
the texture, in which case you get a mix of the values you have set on the x,y,z axis together with the procedural texture type...ripple is fun to play with since it also is animated.
It may not be suitable here..but itīs a tip.

otherwise the scenefile from bazsa73 looks interesting to fiddle with.

Billowing motion? how does that look like, isnīt that more like expanding cloud motion, petals in the wind seems more like swirly motion

Michael

Taro Yoshimoto
04-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Yes Prometheus, swirly is what I meant. Very nice little setup Bazsa73. Well done and thanks for the scene. Very neat, I am going to play with it after I test Promtheus idea wbout directional winds driven via procedurals.

I dont find much on MD2000 on google...

prometheus
04-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Yes Prometheus, swirly is what I meant. Very nice little setup Bazsa73. Well done and thanks for the scene. Very neat, I am going to play with it after I test Promtheus idea wbout directional winds driven via procedurals.

I dont find much on MD2000 on google...

Yeah I thought so..
another way would be to put markers on every petal on the ground in real life, wait til the wind startīs blowing....and mocap it:)
Only then will we find out how they really behave and can adjust our wind settings after that:) I think a rotational wind should be in there too, depends on the wind itself ...leafs on the ground often pushes forward on the ground and then It follows the wind in a spiral motion, which in such case a rotational wind could help to acheive, then I guess it depends on weight of the object Itselft....and the swirls and if there are grassobstacles actually turning the swirly wind in to more undulated turbulent wind, or even donut wind style movement as bazsa73 showed in his example.

Do you have a link to some clip on youtube for example of some petals flowing just as you would like them to flow in the wind?
unfortunatly I donīt have trapcodes particular, maybe you could render out a preview sequence on how that turbulence look like, just curious to know whatīs so special about it so to speak.

Michael

Greenlaw
04-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Here's an excerpt from an on-going project my wife and I've been working on. In the video you can see Bullet being used to gather leaves on the ground and swirl them around the characters.

Excerpt from 'Brudders 2' (https://vimeo.com/68543424)

It's been a year since I worked on the Bullet setup but if I recall what I did accurately, I used a Explosion Force with an negative strength which makes the Force behave like an attractor, drawing the leaves to the center. I also put a gradient falloff on it so it only affected the leaves near the characters. For the swirling effect, I just used the Vortex Force with a falloff.

Another trick I used for these leaves is Turbulence or some other 3D fractal in the Vector or Strength parameter--this gives the individual leaves in the parts object narrow channels to follow while still being affected overall by the wind effect (probably a regular Forcefield.) The result is slightly chaotic yet fluid motions in the leaves.

Not sure if that's what you're going after but maybe this info will give you some ideas.

G.