PDA

View Full Version : Cinema 4D and Houdini are starting a Partnership

DAVE_FACTORY
04-22-2014, 10:32 AM
http://www.maxon.net/en/news/press-releases/singleview/article/maxon-announces-partnership-with-side-effects-software.html

Cinema 4D is in partnership with Adobe. Now starting a partnership with Houdini. Modo is in partnership with Foundry. AutoDesk is the big monster. And then there is LightWave 3D the little software with no partnerships and year after year seems to hang in there. Would you be happier if LightWave 3D had a partner? Or wish you could use the engine in another program?

Mr_Q
04-22-2014, 11:18 AM
C4D is deep in bed with Adobe and now Side Effects...all in effort to combat the Goliath that is Autodesk. This all makes sense. I wish it did to Newtek. (again, not pointing finger at team Lightwave, but NEWTEK)

hazmat777
04-22-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't know if "partner" would work out, but I think if there is any way to get some (or all) of Messiah tech into LW it wouldn't be a bad thing.

GandB
04-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I've pretty much given up on NewTek to do any such thing. Would have been nice if they'd taken game dev more seriously; such as possibly partnering up with Unity (for example), but they haven't. Nor, do I believe, will they ever. Unity could be used for much more than just a game dev platform; we're talking virtual walk-throughs, business/campus tours, etc. Just think of the implications of the coming V/R storm (ie., Occulus, etc.). On top of that; in version 5 and up (of Unity), there will no longer be the need for a customer to download and use the Unity Player...it's going to be much easier to just log into a web page and go. I really don't bother trying to push them in any direction anymore, as they don't seem to want to help themselves grow.

m.d.
04-22-2014, 11:48 AM
C4D is deep in bed with Adobe and now Side Effects...all in effort to combat the Goliath that is Autodesk. This all makes sense. I wish it did to Newtek. (again, not pointing finger at team Lightwave, but NEWTEK)

Houdini engine was first released for Maya more then 6 months ago, and now they are announcing the development the plugin for C4D....

I wouldn't exactly call that uniting against autodesk

Svenart
04-22-2014, 12:24 PM
I think to get some solid partners, Lightwave needs some more time. Itīs just a few years ago since Core episode. Much people lost their faith into Lightwave, currently (what I heard) Lightwave is only 5% of the 3dmarket. Lightwave is on a right way now with LW11 cycle, but It takes time to get customers back. So, why should anyone like Unity make a partnership with Lightwave? I dont see this.

geo_n
04-22-2014, 10:00 PM
If lightwave can become mainstream again a houdini plugin could be realistic.
But how much is the plugin anyway?
Last I checked houdini was 8k usd with annual maintanance over 2k usd. Not really "affordable" in todays global economy.

m.d.
04-23-2014, 11:07 AM
The source code will be released on GitHub....if lightwave wants Houdini engine inside all they have to do is adapt the code

geo_n
04-23-2014, 06:26 PM
So this will be free? Wonder what's the catch.