PDA

View Full Version : Too many Scene Editors

objuan
04-22-2014, 03:49 AM
How do I get rid of Scene / Dope Editors?

A long time ago I accidentally opened 3 or 4 "new" Scene Editors. I can X close them away. But every time I close the scene and reload it, and then open the Scene Editor, it opens all 4 of them. Also if I forget (like I do all the time) and close the one Scene Editor I do want open, when I go to open it again they all 4 come. Irk!

Can I permanently delete the concept of multiple Dope Sheets from my scene?

Danner
04-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Open the master plugins window ('ctrl Q' I think is the default shortcut.) and delete all the instances of the scene editor there. A new instance gets added when you choose "Dope Editor New" instead of just "Dope Editor"

Ma3rk
04-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Also sort of sounds as if you saved the default.lws with those editor windows open too. You might try just clearing out & closing things you don't want then from the File Window, do a save scene as default in the root of your usual Content folder. Close then exit & see if that takes care of it the next start of Layout.

objuan
04-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks Guys!! That is so much less annoying now.

jeric_synergy
04-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I've experienced the same thing without saving a scene as "default.lws", so I believe it can happen outside of that case.

And yeah, very annoying. I've found no use for multiple Scene Editors open, although theoretically they could be serving different purposes (i.e. different views into the same scene). In fact, they consume too much screen space to be used that way, YMMV, IMHO, etc....

spherical
04-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but this is similar. I'd like this to happen with the Properties window. When a new version comes along, I get all of my panels placed where I want them, close Layout and Modeler to save their locations, open Layout and the Properties panel is missing. It has to be manually opened every time. It opens in the position that was saved, but doesn't come back at start, like all of the others.

jeric_synergy
04-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Color me unsurprised. ::sigh::

There's also that situation where the button that INVOKES a panel does not dismiss/close it. (Can't remember which.)

Also the panel that can remain HIDDEN below other panels. (IIRC, the "New Map" dialog in LWM, but also others.)

A smooth experience is still not a hallmark of using Lightwave. It's all herky-jerky.

Sebasvideo
04-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Can somebody explain why a scene editor shows up in the list of master plugins? This seems to be like saying that the timeline window in After Effects or Premiere is a plugin. A plugin is a completely different thing, usually made by a 3rd party, like the DP plugins.

I simply removed the New dope editor item from the menu, and dragged both the graph editor and the dope editor to the main area so I don't even have to click twice when I need either of them.

Sensei
04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Can somebody explain why a scene editor shows up in the list of master plugins?

Because Scene Editor is Master plugin class?

There are two plugin classes that can execute commands from its code: layout generic and master.
Generic is not saved with scene, it's single time run command then ends its working.
Generic cannot store its settings.
Master can store its settings and is saved together with scene.

This seems to be like saying that the timeline window in After Effects or Premiere is a plugin. A plugin is a completely different thing, usually made by a 3rd party, like the DP plugins.

In properly programmed application there is no distinctions between 3rd party plugins and the main code. Both have access to the same data set. Both can do the same. Your vision of application means plugins have much smaller privileges.

Sebasvideo
04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
In properly programmed application there is no distinctions between 3rd party plugins and the main code. Both have access to the same data set. Both can do the same. Your vision of application means plugins have much smaller privileges.

A plugin is an addition to the main program, like Element is a plugin for AE, or Neatvideo for Premiere, or Octane for Lightwave. They perform a specific function inside the program, usually one that the program doesn't have, or has but at a basic level and the plugin provides a better way of doing it. But the scene/dope editor is just another function inside the program, it's like saying the viewport is a plugin.

spherical
04-23-2014, 06:23 PM
LightWave has a ton of "plugins" that are in the default install. This approach allows for a compartmentalized coding environment, where individual sections can be updated by replacing the compartment—not recompiling the core just to make the change.

Sebasvideo
04-23-2014, 06:32 PM
LightWave has a ton of "plugins" that are in the default install. This approach allows for a compartmentalized coding environment, where individual sections can be updated by replacing the compartmentónot recompiling the core just to make the change.

That in itself is fine, but it's just too confusing that a part of the interface acts as a plugin, is listed in the master plugins and if you make the mistake of opening another instance instead of the one you were using, or if you open two on purpose, then every time you open the scene all the scene/dope editor instances will popup, and you have to go to the master plugins window to remove them. This is part of the Lightwave interface, it's not a plugin. If it's seen as a plugin for the purposes of development that's fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of the user.