PDA

View Full Version : Black Magic Mini Recorder

puzle
04-21-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm trying to grab the output of the Tricaster 410 thru the Mini Recorder and into a MBP to supply as a video feed to a google hangout. I cannot seem to get a picture. Using a direct SDI connection to a Canon XF105 I was able to capture via the BM Media Express app and then was able to select under the Hangout app.

Has anyone done this before? I think that it is a setting for the output but I cannot figure out one that will work with the BM

kanep
04-21-2014, 07:51 PM
What video format so you have your session set to in the TriCaster? Which output on the TriCaster are you connected to, output #1 or #2? Output #2 does have a up/down/cross converter on it, so you would need to check that after checking your session format.

puzle
04-22-2014, 05:57 AM
I have tried many different session settings. 1080/24p, 720p, etc. I have tried both outputs. I was using output #1 and then switched to output #2 and selected 720p but still nothing would work. I even tried the HDMI out as the recorder will take HDMI or SDI and still no avail.

I was hoping that the Mini Recorder would have more of a diagnostic app or something to help understand the issue.

Output #2:
So the Up/Down... is selected when you configure program via right-click? That is where I was able to select 720p. The trouble is that the mini recorder does not have a plain 720p setting they all have numbers after them.

imryh
04-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Hello.

We've done this many times before - use a Tricaster output into a BMD Mini Recorder.
My one point of advice would be to try ALL the possible resolutions/framerates on the receiving end, not just the sending end.
For example, even if your Tricaster sessions says "720p30", you should try "720p29.97" in Media Express (in addition to trying 720p30).

Good luck.

Imry

kanep
04-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Even though we round frame rates to a full number, we do work in fractional frame rates (we say 30, but it really is 29.97).

Another thing to watch out for is 'p' versus 'PsF', while they are both used for progressive video, they aren't the same signal on the wire. We output in 'p' not 'PsF' (although we do support 'PsF' for some video input formats).

Also, when working in 720p, always try to use the full frame rate format (59.94fps or 50fps). Other 720p formats (like 30 and 24) are strange formats, I've found that devices that say they work in these formats aren't always 100% compatible with with other. 720p/59.94 and 720p/50 should always work.

Output #2 can be configured from gear found in the program monitor. It should match your session format by default, but it is good to verify.

I would also try 1080i just to see if that works. While I understand 1080i is interlaced and I try to avoid its use as well, it is the most common of the HD video formats and almost universally supported. It's a good starting point to see if it is all working.

puzle
04-23-2014, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the reply guys I have tried all possible res on both ends and this is why I found it odd that it was not working.

Imry: Just to clarify this is via Thunderbolt? I'm trying to go into a MBP Rentina.

imryh
04-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Hello.

Yes. We are using MBP Retina computers, with Mini Recorders connected to Thunderbolt ports. No issue at all.
Can you confirm that you have the newest version of BMD Desktop Video and firmware for the Mini Recorder?

Imry

puzle
04-26-2014, 12:16 PM
Imry,

I was able to get the video to show up in Black Magic Video Express one I selected the right frame rate. I then tried to select that via the Google Hangout app and Wirecast but only got a black screen. It also seems that once I try and select another output it prevents the BMVE from seeing the hardware. When I try and go back to BMVE it say hardware is not installed.

I have asked others and they have been able to to do composite to usb (as they have a TC460), this is just a reference video source so does not need to be high rest I just thought that Thunberbolt made the most sense to get stuff into a new MBP.

puzle
04-26-2014, 08:37 PM
After watching a few videos that showed this working I had a look again to get an HDMI and SDI camera working.

Since I'm more a software developer that video guy I have VMWare Fusion on my MBP so that I can develop under windows. I had noticed that this cause and issue with a USB audio interface so that that perhaps this was causing an issue with the BMMR. I rebooted my system and did not have the Vm running. First step was hooking up the HDMI and using the BMVE with the 1080i 59.97 (or whatever the one under 60 is) and then went to Sys Pref to select the HDMI source rather than SDI.

It worked, which was cool. I then went into Wirecast and selected the BM as a source and that also worked once I adjusted the settings under Source Settings for the BMMR. Cool I thought. I then started up a Google Hangout and looked but only saw one BM camera listed and not all of the setting. I selected it and it did not work.

I then closed all the apps and started again with the same process. For some reason this time when I opened up the Hangout I saw all the options under the cameras. I selected the 1081 59.-- and it worked! I then connected the Canon XF105 via SDI and went under sys prefs and switched the input to SDI and that also worked.

I have not tried yet as the output from the TC 410 but think that if I got this far I should be able to get this done in the AM. If this works and is solid it will make having a decent reference return video for both web machines (Skype and Hangout) work.

Thanks for the help guys.

I started with an old Sony HD camera.

csandy
05-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Hi Puzle, sorry if you looked through my long and convoluted video about this mini recorder on YouTube. I believe it's the most popular BMD mini recorder tutorial on the web, but it's also one of the worst. Hopefully you also read my overlays and skipped around as instructed. The little aluminum box is very useful, and it DOES work, you just have to set it up right, as you've learned. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, I was busy playing with NewTek gear and haven't been on the forum.