PDA

View Full Version : How to make Bullet Dynamics work with .mdd animation?

stevegraymusic
04-21-2014, 01:53 PM
I 'm having trouble getting bullet dynamics to calculate with an .mdd animation.
Is there a tutorial on this? Forum member Dodgy kindly informed me that I needed to add my .mdd file through the MD Reader while trying to use Soft FX in conjunction with an .mdd file. Is there anything specific I need to do (other than setting subdivision geo to last) in order to make the bullet dynamics calculate when applying them to a model that is animated using .mdd files?
Thanks!

m.d.
04-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Try making the MDD object a bullet deforming body with all the shape retention and shape lock at 100%...

that will only make other objects interact with bullet....the MDD deformation will be the only one affecting the baked object

stevegraymusic
04-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Hey m.d. - Thank you for the quick reply! I gave it a try but it did not work. I want to be sure that I'm communicating my issue clearly. Example - I have animated a creature with wings and antennae etc. in another animation program. I exported the MDD file and applied the MDD file to the model in Lightwave. Perfect! The MDD is moving the character as it walks. I set up bullet like you say and chose the antenna weight maps but bullet dynamics are not being applied to the weight maps for the antennae. Is there a way to apply Bullet dynamics on top of an .mdd animated character? I thought that if Soft FX could be added to an MDD animated character just by loading the MDD through the MD Reader Displacement and then applying Soft FX - something similar could be done for Bullet dynamics.

m.d.
04-22-2014, 11:57 AM
no not that I'm aware of
see in my previous statement

"that will only make other objects interact with bullet....the MDD deformation will be the only one affecting the baked object"

the only way you can mix/override MDD displacement is nodally

stevegraymusic
04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Do you know how to go about doing it nodally? I have played with edit nodes with texturing / surfaces etc. but I have no clue how to set up something like this.
Any ideas?

stevegraymusic
04-23-2014, 07:29 PM
YES! I figured it out!! I loaded the mdd file through the node editor rather than file import or the dynamics tab. The Shape retention at 100% was too high, so I dialed it back to 95% (anything in the range of 85 to 95 looked fine) - Shape lock set to NONE - Linear Stiffness / Angular stiffness set to 10%. Also, my weight map value was too high. When it did influence the model it influenced it too much and distorted everything. I made much lighter weight maps (NO BLUR!) and the soft dynamics look great now. Thanks for your help.

bazsa73
05-26-2014, 04:12 AM
YES! I figured it out!! I loaded the mdd file through the node editor rather than file import or the dynamics tab. The Shape retention at 100% was too high, so I dialed it back to 95% (anything in the range of 85 to 95 looked fine) - Shape lock set to NONE - Linear Stiffness / Angular stiffness set to 10%. Also, my weight map value was too high. When it did influence the model it influenced it too much and distorted everything. I made much lighter weight maps (NO BLUR!) and the soft dynamics look great now. Thanks for your help.

Thank for telling Steve! I spent all my weekend figuring out how on earth should I apply Bullet on MDD. I baked out nulls and all kind of crazyness :D