PDA

View Full Version : Taron's Verve Painter

JBT27
04-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Just wondering of any one uses this - came across it on Youtube this afternoon, created an account then tried to download it, but neither IE nor Firefox will let me. Not sure what the problem is. Norton flags this website as suspcious, on the grounds of slight threat and annoyance.

I did post a question about the download problem, but within seconds my post was spammed by someone offering a product that I don't need, but which I suspect he does. So maybe Norton have it right.

That aside, it looks like a great little tool - fluid based painting, perfect for space stuff ... if only I could try it!

Julian.

hazmat777
04-19-2014, 09:52 AM
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6

Oedo 808
04-19-2014, 10:09 AM
That's a pretty cool little program, I'd already played with his MaCrea app which I saw on the ZB forum.

I can't help with your issue, I went on to his forum and downloaded Verve here: http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

I didn't register, didn't get any warnings from Avast, my web browser is Opera.

JBT27
04-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Yep, that's the link, and it looks great, but no go for me I'm afraid. Could be Norton's blocking I guess, but it's not giving me the option to bypass. Ah well. Hopefully someone over there can help.

Julian.

toeknee
04-19-2014, 10:42 AM
I second that I just did the same thing and I am using Firefox. This is a cool little App. I just have to say thanks Taron.

Oedo 808
04-19-2014, 11:10 AM
It does mention that an antivirus falsely flags it, Kaspersky I think it was, so I guess it's not unlikely that Norton might take issue with it.

JBT27
04-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Taron just posted a .rar to my thread over there. I can download that, but I cannot extract the file. Norton is not issuing warnings or errors, so not certain what is going on, other than this is the weirdest and flakiest download thing I have seen.

Julian.

prometheus
04-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Taron just posted a .rar to my thread over there. I can download that, but I cannot extract the file. Norton is not issuing warnings or errors, so not certain what is going on, other than this is the weirdest and flakiest download thing I have seen.

Julian.

pull the plug on the internet connection after you downloaded the file, turn of norton(if that is possible) extract the file.
turn on norton again, connect to internet ..and tell us if it in fact has virus in it, so I donīt have to get the infection:)
By the way Isnīt norton a virus itself? extremly slow to use and slowing down your system enourmously and hard to uninstall.

I got a warning from avast when trying to download the exe file, but that is just a false warning since the file is suspecious and little known, not neccessarly a virus.

Michael

hrgiger
04-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Can't you just turn Norton off?

JBT27
04-19-2014, 03:42 PM
I haven't seen Norton slowing my machine down, as such, though in truth I have not run the machine without it! The real intrusions of Norton now (been using Kaspersky for years) are like a blasted nanny state, where everything is checked and queried, and it wants to know if I'm alright with that, or this, and occasionally like here, it decides I cannot have something without jumping through hoops, and then more to unlock it from quarantine. So yeah, Norton is a prime kind of virus.

I can see now that it did download the file, but instantly moved it to quarantine, without reporting it, and all I got was Firefox reporting a failed download. All I need to do is hit Restore and I can try the program. Norton have marked it as Suspicious.Cloud.2, which is not a virus, though they do flag all of this in red and as a high risk. In reality, it seems to be more about them not knowing what it is, therefore it's something to be scared of. I'll admit it's made me nervous, but what I'll likely do tomorrow is download it on the laptop, and sort it from there.

Chances are the biggest intrusion has been Nortons.

Julian.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably, yes - as I replied just to Prometheus - it seems Nortons was the culprit, though it almost had to be :)

Julian.

prometheus
04-19-2014, 03:48 PM
I haven't seen Norton slowing my machine down, as such, though in truth I have not run the machine without it! The real intrusions of Norton now (been using Kaspersky for years) are like a blasted nanny state, where everything is checked and queried, and it wants to know if I'm alright with that, or this, and occasionally like here, it decides I cannot have something without jumping through hoops, and then more to unlock it from quarantine. So yeah, Norton is a prime kind of virus.

I can see now that it did download the file, but instantly moved it to quarantine, without reporting it, and all I got was Firefox reporting a failed download. All I need to do is hit Restore and I can try the program. Norton have marked it as Suspicious.Cloud.2, which is not a virus, though they do flag all of this in red and as a high risk. In reality, it seems to be more about them not knowing what it is, therefore it's something to be scared of. I'll admit it's made me nervous, but what I'll likely do tomorrow is download it on the laptop, and sort it from there.

Chances are the biggest intrusion has been Nortons.

Julian.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably, yes - as I replied just to Prometheus - it seems Nortons was the culprit, though it almost had to be :)

Julian.

I couldnīt stand having norton on my machines, have tried it many times with different computers, though it might be effective and doing a good job, it Indeed slowed down my machine much more than using avast, the same with AVG antivirus.

JBT27
04-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Well that's worth knowing. I did run machines without an internet connection up until fairly recently, then it became more useful to have the main box online, hence Kasperksy, then Nortons. But maybe I need to look at making that leaner and meaner.

Julian.

spherical
04-19-2014, 04:02 PM
We use ESET Smart Security. Pretty light on resources. For downloads, it has a cursor menu entry where you can initiate a scan of files, ZIP/RAR archives or whole directory trees before doing anything with the file(s).

prometheus
04-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Just tried verve, really cool, and fluid painting style that I always wanted for digital media, itīs sort of like adding acrylic thick coat colors in to water and how it swirls out and mixes color etc, but Man..I got to get me a pen tablet board someday.
I got to make taron notice my thanks too, I not sure if he coded this by himself, Heīs crazy you know..you can see that in his art and now with this? "crazy" in good terms here:)

check the site for all the shortcuts and manual sort of, use d for switching off the dry paint mode and let the paint to be continously wet and fluid and hit d again to start drying it, how fast depends on the speed you have set.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121532&d=1397952017

Michael

spherical
04-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Just tried it out. Seriously cool. Very similar to Deep Paint that I paid, IIRC, a ton of money to get years ago. Never used it much, as it required files to be saved in a proprietary format, in order to maintain the effects.

prometheus
04-19-2014, 10:51 PM
This cool little fluid paint tool isnīt gonna help me sleep better..just canīt stop fiddling with it, might get something decent out of it once I become custom with how the fluids melt together in strength and blend colors etc, get a good sense of it etc.

and I need a wacom tab or something..this was with a crappy mouse.

Brian eno and vangelis in the earphones makes it a joy anyway to paint away.

some tip, the alt button is a color picker so just click on the color in the painted image to pick it, though I think that should have an icon in the menu too, the menu itself I am not that fond of though. might bring forward some suggestions to make it more
cleaner and not use those round tweaking sliders, they seem to be in the way to much also

I donīt know if it is possible to load/import images...I tried but the program just crashed..or closed I should say.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121538&d=1397969360

Michael

prometheus
04-20-2014, 12:29 AM
I think it could work nicely to paint nebulas too, but I do miss some photoshop tools like the dodge tool to brighten up parts, not sure if I missed a shortcut to similar tool in verve.

just a very fast mockup testing some bristles, it would be very sweet if he can pull in some more fractal brushes, and perhaps more dynamic brushes sort of, like flame painter has.

one image is straight verve painting..the other some dodge and color correction and curve correction...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121539&d=1397975345

121539 121540

Michael

djwaterman
04-20-2014, 02:49 AM
Wow, one use comes to mind, painting texture maps for gas giants.

JBT27
04-20-2014, 03:59 AM
Finally got it on the machine. This is really nice - yep: nebulae and star surfacing and stuff, is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the demo. As far as I can tell from Taron's posts, this is his coding, and a consequence of something else he was experimenting with; I see the minor version has notched up over night, and he's now included a .rar download, so he's actively on this. It'd be nice to see it developed more fully, with interface - I'd easily drop a few quid for this kind of paint functionality. I don't know about Painter, but it's surprising that Adobe have missed this one all these years, though I can imagine something like this appearing sooner than later.

Julian.

geo_n
04-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Been playing with it for a while when it was posted in 3dcoat forum. Waiting for ios or android version.

blackmondy
04-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Let's hope for an animatable version.

djwaterman
04-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Just started playing with it, man this is awesome.

toeknee
07-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Taron Thanks again. I have more than tow second today to play with this and this is straight up cool. you have some many great artistic friendly work flow tools. Here is a very small ablstract work I did in about five minutes. it stated out as a scrible and then grew into an image with a vibe. 123049

prometheus
07-15-2014, 12:38 PM
I recently was about to fiddle with it again, but when I started verve this time, avast moved it to carantine...donīt know how to bypass that, before I managed to stop the file protection for a few seconds when unzipping verve, and it works like that too now, but it still destroys everything and move it to carantine when trying to start the program.

I have reported the file as a falsalarm some week ago.

Michael

prometheus
07-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Just downloaded the latest version 0.99u.16
and it worked fine to download and install, this time I got a suspicious warning from avast but I continued and it didnīt put it in carantine this time.

Download here...
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

and please let Taron know how nice and great he is for providing this, help that community grow etc.
back to check whats new etc..

prometheus
07-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Wow....now it can load images and simply fluid paint distort them... all in real time without any paint or blending with paint, it took a few minutes to figure out how without instructions, but itīs really awesome,
so hereīs the first time I am showing my face on the community, slightly distorted over my baldness nowadays, though this photo is a few years old.

this little program is a motivator to really get hold of a wacom tab, Im all stuck with mouse input still.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=123050&d=1405450798

Michael

Ztreem
07-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Wow....now it can load images and simply fluid paint distort them... all in real time without any paint or blending with paint, it took a few minutes to figure out how without instructions, but itīs really awesome,
so hereīs the first time I am showing my face on the community, slightly distorted over my baldness nowadays, though this photo is a few years old.

this little program is a motivator to really get hold of a wacom tab, Im all stuck with mouse input still.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=123050&d=1405450798

Michael

What exactly do this software do? This looks just like the liquify filter in photoshop.

prometheus
07-15-2014, 03:35 PM
What exactly do this software do? This looks just like the liquify filter in photoshop.
much more, but you do the liquids in realtime, not waiting for a slow photoshop filter to start,(cs3) (after effects is better though) and you can control fluidity to dry or not, the liquify filter in photoshop requires to paint staticly, verve is dynamic fluid painting so you just have to click and do a mouse move and the fluids continues to distort your image..in a similar way with bouyance like a fluid application such as turbulenceFd, but this is just for flat images and painting, the fluids are at this moment set a default turbulence ..so you canīt adjust turbulence settings with it.
but you can control fluidity speed, how fast it dry, and some bristles brushes ..you can smudge and a lot lot more, more like corel painter in the feel than photoshop.

itīs great to add whisp details on static images on cloud edges, solar flares undulations etc or nebulas, not sure if I can record some samples of it later...I just catched a cold so my energy is a little bit drained.

prometheus
07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
you can check tarons videos...check a bit in the video to see when he starts with the fluids, you can use it without fluids too of course to paint normally.

so imagine using this with a nice lightwave render of a simple lensflare ..export the image and turning it in to a nebula with a few mouse strokes in verve, or maybe use the free fractron 9000 fractal painter to create nebulas and finish of by importing that image to verve and add small undulations to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CpcgdFi0BM
Michael

toeknee
07-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks for news of the update. I am totally digging it. Here is another shot goofing around with this awesome tool. 123053

prometheus
07-15-2014, 05:25 PM
heres a video sample from me..just basic showcase ..
Image is actually rendered in lightwave with volumetric lights in sprite mode with textured displacement layers to give som nice undulations in this nebula image, stars is lensflares, but you can enhance stuff with verve fluid painter if you wish like this, you could also go completly wacko and destroy or over do your already nice image if not careful:)

Note..you have to turn down color opacity completly if you only want to fluid distort the image, or if you want..mix with a little more color by raising the opacity slightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCii5iHp7o&feature=youtu.be

Michael

prometheus
07-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Darnit...each time I try to run verve, avast auto throws it in to carantine, without me able to stop it, annoying if I have to disable avast each time I try to start the program.

prometheus
07-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Ah...fixed it now and had to restore the verve.exe file from avast carantine, then went to file protection expert settings in avast and had to set the verve exe file to be exluded from scanning, so I think I wonīt be getting any more of those issues.

learning to work with layers, nice to paint the fluids on an image, and on itīs own layer above the original image, holding ctrl erases the fluid so the background image is restored, and you can either erase the fluids with fluidity on, so it feels like you are pushing and dissolving it as if it were watercolors almost, or you can turn of fluidity when erasing as well.
Ctrl +shift flattens the colors.

q to activate mask mode, and preferably have a color opacity (maybe 30%) applied when applying the mask to see it, then hit q again to deactivate mask mode, when you start fluid paint the image, only the area around the mask will be fluid distorted, you can delete the mask with delete ..if you are in the mask mode.

prometheus
07-17-2014, 08:25 AM
here an avast screenshot on how to exclude verve.exe file from being scanned...might be helpful for those of you having avast preventing to run the program...
My version is not the latest, since I actually reverted to an older version because the newer avast UI ..simply sucked, not ideal but...
Also in swedish, but you should get a hint on where to adjust it all.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=123080&d=1405607112