PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials

Ivan_B
04-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Hi All,

Thought I'd post a link to my youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6D6iPcrcPhAb6970f7LCcw) for some Lightwave 11.6 tutorials I made.

Tutorials:

Master Test Render Scene
Compound Nodes
Flocking & Raycast Node 1
Flocking & Raycast Node 2
Bullet Dynamics & FX_Metalink
Bullet Dynamics & FX_Metalink Node
Fuel Cap Modelling

Hope they help.

erikals
04-19-2014, 06:22 AM
thank you!

following! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

Oedo 808
04-19-2014, 02:35 PM
These look very informative, thanks. :thumbsup:

Ivan_B
04-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Your welcome!

Bart
04-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Ivan thanks, your tutorial has improved my rendering infinitely.
I most certainly hope you continue with your tutorials, they are concise and to the point.

jeric_synergy
04-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the work!!! :bowdown:

Silkrooster
04-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Always appreciated. Never have enough tutorials. Following you on youtube and G+.

Ryan Roye
04-21-2014, 05:54 AM
I highly recommend also posting these on the Lightwave facebook page; the LW3DG does a large majority of community showcasing there.

Ivan_B
04-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Hey Thanks guys!!! I'm glad they help....working on new tute for fracturing wood (creating planks and beams and studs etc and fracturing them to look like wood...not concrete) and using those objects to make a fence to crash through or something with bullet.

The fracture settings are important, but the bullet setting more so.

When Im done with that I'm thinking of doing a vehicle rigger (commercial plugin..no affiliation) tute, splitting it in three showing the setup for a Car, Truck & Trailer or Car and Trailer / Caravan and Tank...not sure how it will go down as it is a commercial plugin, but if your doing stuff with cars its so good to use....easy to setup and to animate with.

I'll look into posting a link on the facebook page (dont know what LW3DG is :o ) ..thanks chazriker

spherical
04-21-2014, 10:28 AM
LightWave 3D Group - coders of the software you're using.

Bart
04-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Ivan just wondering after your master test render scene do you have any tutorials for daylight lighting/rigs or similar.
I, just a hobbyist plodding along trying to improve

Ivan_B
04-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks Spherical..ya think they could write a "simple" :rolleyes: version of chronoSculpt, just so we can pin objects to stay put when using bullet... :D

Hey Bart, after reading your post, I though I'd look into it.. So I went ahead and made a few different outdoor scenes, that I'll make a video on. Everything's ready to go, just have to record it.

Here's some stills of the scenes that will be in the video...I'm by no means a professional at lighting, but I think it'll be a good start.

These are renders straight out of Lightwave, no post work.

Bart
04-25-2014, 12:50 AM
The images look great to me, look forward to any tutorials you do on the subject Ivan

Ivan_B
05-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Hey All,

Here's a new tutorial on Bullet dynamics & Fracturing Wood

http://youtu.be/KpO3iQrkJ4U

Outdoor Lighting / rendering coming real soon.

Ivan_B
05-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Here's an Outdoor rendering Tutorial

http://youtu.be/0kycYhPGI7o

djwaterman
05-01-2014, 02:31 AM
Nice work.

Ivan_B
05-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Thanks DJ :)

t0ol
05-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Really useful. Keep it up!

Davewriter
05-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Love it! Thanks for thinking of... and helping us all :)

BokadCastle
05-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks for your tutorial on fracturing wood.
Towards the end you make the point that the whole structure fractures at the same time and you provided a work-around.

I'm rusty on Bullet but I thought that somewhere in the tabs was a setting for fracturing on a particular frame.

Therefore progressive fracturing as a collider moves through a structure is already possible in Bullet.

...not sure.

VIDandCGI
05-02-2014, 01:50 AM
All these tutorials are a great addition. I really hope we see a lot more like this popping up as the more of this kind of resource available the more likely the user base will grow.

Keep it up ;)

inkpen3d
05-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Very clear and informative - thanks for the time and effort you put in to making them! :)

Ivan_B
05-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Hey All,

Thanks for the kind words...Your all welcome!!!...just giving a little back.

I forgot to mention in the bullet video, that objects sitting on the ground awaiting to be hit need to be set to "Start Sleeping" so it doesn't collapse on itself before it's hit. There are ways to control the destruction using weight maps...Gonna look into it further and if I discover something that works consistently... Ill make a video.

BokadCastle..Im not sure it works like that...As soon as the object is impacted it shoots through the whole object, so what I do is separate the static bits from the destruction bits (see attached)

Here's a quick texturing video

http://youtu.be/g8FVPEGJoVg

t0ol
05-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Man I was looking for this texturing workflow for a while.. never noticed that little Clone button in image editor. Tnx!

Ivan_B
05-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Your welcome t0ol!!

This tutorial was inspired by a thread I was reading yesterday, all about the hidden tools and their functions that Lighwave has..Learnt a lot of cool tricks from it, so I had to add mine (learnt this years ago)

Here's a link to the thread http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139165-Basic-stuff-Lightwave-users-should-know-but-are-not-so-obvious

As far as Bullet dynamics, I have learnt how to make an object only fracture in certain areas leaving the other bits intact (from the LW manual...there's a tutorial in it for this)..ie: A buildings bottom floors collapsing leaving the top intact to then fall under its own weight continuing to collapse (make sense) more or less how a building would fall for real....Making a video tute.

I need correct the fact that I said bullet can be controlled by weight maps...Its actually done via gradients & nulls. You can use weights with deforming objects (different thing)

Bart
05-02-2014, 11:49 PM
As usual you have through your skills enabled the enabling of another area that I have not recently attempted.
Your tutorials are truly some of the most helpful I have encountered.

Bart
05-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Great tutorial again many thanks. I have already learnt so much from you in such a short period.

prometheus
05-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks Ivan for sharing so graciously.

Michael

jeric_synergy
05-03-2014, 10:22 PM
I need correct the fact that I said bullet can be controlled by weight maps...Its actually done via gradients & nulls. You can use weights with deforming objects (different thing)
(haven't examined, buttttttttt......) Can't gradients take Weight Maps as one of their inputs?

BokadCastle
05-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Hi Ivan,
I looked at some samples of dynamics we've been given.

It looks like an object can be progressively fractured to me.

look at _
?:\LightWave_11.5_Content\Bullet_Dynamics\Forces\T ower\Scenes

Effector core??

btw you're doing a great job - my intention is to 'add to' not 'take away'.
Cheers.

prometheus
05-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Hi Ivan,
I looked at some samples of dynamics we've been given.

It looks like an object can be progressively fractured to me.

look at _
?:\LightWave_11.5_Content\Bullet_Dynamics\Forces\T ower\Scenes

Effector core??

btw you're doing a great job - my intention is to 'add to' not 'take away'.
Cheers.

yes..that is just an effector item type to showcase and visually give feedback to the null reference, so the breaker object is just a null without any dynamics, but used as position in space reference for a gradient set in glue strength, the glue strenght is at itīs core set to a value of 0% in the gradient, that means thereīs nothing holding the structure in terms of glue, and at the end of the gradient there is full glue.

And the effector item is only there for visual feedback on how you have set the gradient...which is set at a full glue at 2.5 m, and the effector is visually set to such radius, but all that needs to manually be set up, I would whish we could have a direct reference object that both affects the size and gives visual feedback in one go when changing distance or radius.

Michael

Ivan_B
05-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Spot on Guys...Thats exactly the tutorial Im in the middle of making....should have it up today.

Its literally based off the tutorial in the Lightwave manual.

I have setup some other examples as well, not just using fractured pieces...also adding a ridged body sphere to smash bits not just melt the glue.

"(haven't examined, buttttttttt......) Can't gradients take Weight Maps as one of their inputs?" Your right, Maybe we can use a null set to Object distance with gradient for glue strength and only effect the weighted area...Damn it!!! Back to the drawing board for more testing.

Ivan_B
05-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Hey All,

Thanks again for the kind words! I dont take credit for working out all this stuff, I just gather information from everywhere I can and try and put it together in a easy to understand way (I hope)

Here's the tutorial on Controlling Destruction with Bullet dynamics...I might have mucked up a little with some dimensions, but you'll get the idea.

http://youtu.be/8MJl0LV_s5c

BokadCastle
05-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Hey All,

Here's the tutorial on Controlling Destruction with Bullet dynamics.

Well done Ivan. Thanks.

prometheus
05-07-2014, 04:52 AM
Again..thanks Ivan for taking the time and recording these nice bullet tips.

some reflections from me...
regarding using reference nulls as the releaser of glued pieces, It is good to have that option and to know how that works, but I think itīs a little tedious workflow to use in cases where you would like to have multi impact or multi regions that breaks at different stages.

For instance as you showcase, you simply just canīt clone one null that is already set up, you have to go in to the glue strength parameters and add a new gradient or copy paste and re-direct every null to the corresponding object null distance...not of an issue maybe if you just have one or two references you need.

I was thinking about this since I wondered if this could be used with my own experiments of using particles and fx linking the nulls, but that wouldnīt be practical, the other issue of using only reference to release the glue, that is of course you just get the object to fall down, and not inherit any dynamic impact motion, which in some cases might not look good ...but you showcased an alternativ of actually also parent a kinematic sphere...using a reference object like this is great for doing an earth quake collaps of the ground though, suggestion would be to create fracture points in modeler based on a curve..then send that curve to layout as a path and have the null follow it and release the glue...or you could just fracture the whole ground and just move the null in desired path, but it takes much more calculation to fracture it all.
The null reference release glue technique, is suitable for collapsing structures without a dynamic impact motion.

I think I rather prefer to simply add a null and make it kinematic, and instead raise the glue strength and set the collision margin very low, so the null functions as a kinematic object without any real geometry, so hopefully I wonīt need extra geometry when I particle fx link my kinematic null for use with particle collision and smashing the objects to pieces.

If I would like to use a kinematic null and direct and change my impact region, I would suggest to use the "move path tool" so you can have your null moved in time but for instance change the whole path with that, and I would suggest to map "enable dynamics" to a shortcut..so before you move the path turn it off ..then turn it on when you have changed it.
And simply cloning the null will give you a destruction kinematic object that needs no further set up than to actually direct the impact region.

Just some tips.

Michael

prometheus
05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Just some additional feedback..

setting up a single null as kinematic..with a -1 collision margin works decently, further on you can simply fx link that to a particle emitter and have the emitter shoot particles that collides with bullet objects and breaks it, you could of course use real objects too ..but it will be denser with geometry...and in somecases you actually want real geometry, you could fx link rigid bodies too.

I was testing another idea, using Dpontīs particle paint procedural to actually paint the particle impacts on the surface of an object, thus you could probably bake all the particle impact points where it is painted by particle paint..in to a texture, and you will be able to get all impact regions from the particles regardless of when they occour in the timeline, then load back to modeler for making exact destruction around that textured region..similar to what I mentioned before in using a saved fbx scene with dummy geometry at impact regions.

I have found particle paint behaving a little odd though, and not getting the exact markings from where the particle hits..so that I have to figure out.

Michael

Ivan_B
05-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Thanks again People!

Hey prometheus, the idea for the video was to show the foundations of this setup, from that people can experiment different types of setups for all sorts of different results like yourself. I am going to try the fxlinker emitter setup to see if I can get it to work, cos there is no way to use a particle emitter to fire rigid bodies around, just doesn't work....But in saying all this, Bullet is useless for anything other than blowing stuff up.

I did some experimentation to see if I could make a road with a crack running down it and control that crack, but much like the building, everything wobbles before you start unglueing with nulls etc, which makes it completely useless, I wish the LW guys would work on it so the damn object stays completely still until acted upon (Not talking about "Start sleeping") or that only the area acted on reacts.. too much tweaking, too many work arounds, expensive plugins like chronosculpt etc etc...useless for production (for me anyway).

Hopefully they'll make it work like the 3Dmax plugin Rayfire...not holding my breath.

prometheus
05-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks again People!

Hey prometheus, the idea for the video was to show the foundations of this setup, from that people can experiment different types of setups for all sorts of different results like yourself. I am going to try the fxlinker emitter setup to see if I can get it to work, cos there is no way to use a particle emitter to fire rigid bodies around, just doesn't work....But in saying all this, Bullet is useless for anything other than blowing stuff up.

I did some experimentation to see if I could make a road with a crack running down it and control that crack, but much like the building, everything wobbles before you start unglueing with nulls etc, which makes it completely useless, I wish the LW guys would work on it so the damn object stays completely still until acted upon (Not talking about "Start sleeping") or that only the area acted on reacts.. too much tweaking, too many work arounds, expensive plugins like chronosculpt etc etc...useless for production (for me anyway).

Hopefully they'll make it work like the 3Dmax plugin Rayfire...not holding my breath.

well..yes and no...rigid bodies work to link to particlefx, but not as an good option and that is what you mean I suppose? the rigid bodies has their own weight and other properties that isnīt suitable to match the particles velocity, since it takes on itīs own motion and only uses the particle velocity as a trigger motion, kinematic object works better... or just use a null as kinematic, I set the collision margin to something aroun-1 to get a more match to when the kinematic body impacts...so particle fx cloning a single null which are kinematic should work nicely.

I will take a look at the "road crack" later, and yes...I think chronoscultp If it was possible, Should have made it into lightwave...thus combining the sales and also marketing Lightwave itself with it,(making lightwave itself more attractive and getting other studios to use that more too) but that was their decision and not mine and I have no Idea on how it could have been implemented at this stage nor how it will help get more sales to the lightwave team.
itīs a balancing act maybe, we might of course say that ..get it inside of lightwave, and we pay a little extra for it, but then it might not be what other studios need..a single module might be better for them...and we can always purchase the chronosculpt offside so to speak, I am mixed up about chronosculpt...but I know to little about all the reasons behind it really, though they could make it available for lightwave users cheaper than the standalone..thus it might make more sense to actually also buy lightwave so you get more buck for the money.

Michael

Kuzey
05-29-2014, 05:05 AM
More a time lapse than a tutorial...still might be useful :)

http://vimeo.com/96728150

ps there's a couple LW12 feature requests as well:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2014/05/toaster-time-lapse.html

Spaceland
05-29-2014, 01:09 PM
I am new since yesterday to Lightwave (bought it yesterday that is) so I just subscribe to your youtube channel

Thank you

Ivan_B
09-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Hey People,

Got a new tutorial, with a few more to come....

This new tute is on UV Mapping using ABF UV Unwrap along with two other PLG Uv tools, it goes for 50 mins split into 4 videos, covering the basics of uving, then moving onto slightly more complex objects, then finally setting up the uv in photoshop.

Video Part 1: http://youtu.be/g3cNxgNvYxU
Video Part 2: http://youtu.be/hr6E8AwrB8g
Video Part 3: http://youtu.be/BvvifMBkvPM
Video Part 4: http://youtu.be/qhR5jOw1VoE

Hope they help :)

Marander
09-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi Ivan, thank you very much for the tutorial. It's very well explained and narrated. I'm not through yet but so far perfect for me! Cheers ...and desperately hoping for an environment tutorial from you one day ;-) Don't mind if it'll be lenghty and commercial.

Ivan_B
09-18-2014, 02:35 AM
Your welcome Marander!!! :) I have been considering making a tute on some environment stuff showing the whole process from, matte paintings to incorporating 3d into the scene, rendering it out and compositing it...something like that. Maybe you and others can suggest what you would like to see, and Ill see if I can make it.

Anyway...I have another tutorial on "Compositing Buffer export" render passes...two part video.

Sorry people...re uploading better quality single video.

I'm currently working on another tute thats all about camera mapping / front projection.

erikals
09-18-2014, 05:05 AM
haven't had the time to watch them just yet, but thank you... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/bowdown.gif

tyrot
09-18-2014, 08:07 AM
awesome videos - ivan - waiting for your next tutorials...

Ivan_B
09-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Thanks tyrot & erikals...Here's the new link to the new tute....

Camera mapping / front projection tute should be up in the next day or so.

Compositing Buffer Export video

http://youtu.be/m4sVez6aC5E

This is just a quick reference guide.

tyrot
09-18-2014, 10:42 AM
WOW it is AWESOME!

jeric_synergy
09-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Ivan, thank you very much for making these tutorials, I'm working my way thru them.

ABF UV Unwrap seems pretty powerful: considering all the wishlisting by users for UV tools I have to wonder if they just haven't tried it yet. Is it lacking some critical features???

BTB, I've noted several posters, myself included, who wishlist (new verb!) for features that actually have been implemented in the 11.n series. I'll try to do better, but everybody should re-read the "What's New in 11.n" dox just to remind themselves of what is already available.

JohnMarchant
09-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Thanks Ivan and nice Tutorial

Ivan_B
09-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Your welcome guys!!!!

Your right jeric, there are about 5 tools I discovered a couple of weeks ago, that came out in LW 11.5 I believe....I found them by chance when I watched the 11.5 promo by newtek...I'll make a short tute.

As far as the compositing buffer export, It would be brilliant if the "Shaded Diffuse" pass didn't incorporate the shadows, so that we can use the "shadow pass" and have total control ( I know you can turn the shadows off and render the diffuse pass, but then you dont get the shadow pass at all...I'd like it rendered in one go) I think the pass I want is an "Indirect light pass" kinda like the ambient occlusion pass with colour and no shadows...you can combined the raw colour with am occ, but its just not the same.

JohnMarchant
09-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Looking forward to Front Projection tutorial very much Ivan

Marander
09-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Wow thanks again Ivan! Finished the UV one, the EPS trick is very cool and the tutorial is useful for UV beginners of other software as well (how to unwrap the different shapes).

For the environment tutorial: I find the way the stones, dust and debris fits to the ground and other objects very beautiful in your shots. Often this looks very constructed in pure 3d renders, I have no idea how to do that without post. Is your mech scenes animatable with the same look without using AE or similar sw?

Cheers, Marander

tyrot
09-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Looking forward to Front Projection tutorial very much Ivan

+1000000000000

Ivan_B
09-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Marander, the image with the robots in the WASTEland (spelt it right this time) is made up of one BG image (matte painting) and the robots which are 3D....all the detail you see in the image is all photo images placed and blended in to the rest of the environment making sure to get the perspective correct...this is how all matte paintings are made...this is where the camera mapping using front projection could help to turn that 2d image into a 3d environment. I could only show you the basics of matte painting some photoshop tricks and some rules to follow, but Im not that great an artist. I'll see if I can think of something that I can put together that covers the whole process.

tyrot I'm currently in the middle of preparing for that tute, I'll show the basics then something a little more detailed, then something a lot more detailed with the help of sketchup.

I take this image of the old factory and turn it into a 3D environment with a slow fly in camera move, and added a whole stack of 3D animated objects.

Now that the scene is complete, Im going to start recording, should be up in a day or so...stay tuned.

tyrot
09-20-2014, 11:20 AM
great news - your tuts are IMMENSELY helpful, i totally appreciate the effort you put in those tuts..

JohnMarchant
09-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Cant wait Ivan.

Ivan_B
09-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Hey People...Here's the camera mapping tutorial...I hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/y27spSDSNxg

erikals
09-25-2014, 11:23 AM
this one is Awesome! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/bowdown.gif http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

JohnMarchant
09-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks Ivan, nice clear and precise tutorials, no wasted time, no umming and urring, straight to the point.

prometheus
09-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks Ivan, this looks very good, maybe should be on the lightwave youtube groups page too, especially since quite a few of their recent uploads havenīt been of my interest really, but this is, and itīs a common used technique which many donīt have a clue on how to do, so it would serve the community well.
clear and crisp videos both in sound and visual quality.

I dog tired now..so I havenīt followed it through completly, but it looks great.

jeric_synergy
09-25-2014, 02:11 PM
thank you Ivan: I'm sure I would've wept with frustration failing to figure out that the shadow-catcher node didn't work-- valuable info! :bowdown:

Full of practical goodness!

+++++
I thought SketchUp had vanished into commercialness??

Ivan_B
09-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Hey Guys...Thanks to ALL of you for the kind words!!!!
I'm soo glad this tute could help, it was quite a hard one to make, as there's a lot involved.

Hey prometheus, it would be an amazing achievement to get on the Lightwave youtube groups page, but I dont think my tutes are good enough, as my terminology sucks a fair bit...I use sooo many shortcuts to tools I dont even know where to find in the menus let alone what the tools are called, but if they end up there somehow, I wouldn't be disappointed.

As far as I know sketchup's basic version is available for free (just checked google, there's download links)...its the pro version that you have to pay for. I thought sketchup was crap when I first heard about it...now I love it, so easy to model, its like a semi automatic version of LWCAD.

tyrot
09-26-2014, 02:54 AM
Ivan you just rock! What a contribution.. I ll try this all weekend..

(Will it work same way with Octane's projection .. i wonder )

Andy Webb
10-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Just been looking through your tuts and I must say they're really informative, plenty of ways of doing things I had not considered before.

Keep em coming :D:thumbsup:

cheers

Ivan_B
10-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks People :)

@tyrot..I wouldn't have a clue about octane, but I imagine if it has front projection I dont see why it wouldn't.

I have had a few requests for a Genoma rigging tute, which Im in the process of making...I'm by no means an expert on rigging and animating, but I think I know enough to get you up and running.

I'll be showing how to rig a character, customize the the rig for better control (or controls you probably didnt know existed) adding multiple limbs and a robot rig...from there I'll so some basics of animating..timing, anticipation etc....enough to get you going.

Here's an image of the 3 rigs I'm going to be showing (creating)

Waves of light
10-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks People :)

I have had a few requests for a Genoma rigging tute, which Im in the process of making...I'm by no means an expert on rigging and animating, but I think I know enough to get you up and running.

I'll be showing how to rig a character, customize the the rig for better control (or controls you probably didnt know existed) adding multiple limbs and a robot rig...from there I'll so some basics of animating..timing, anticipation etc....enough to get you going.

Here's an image of the 3 rigs I'm going to be showing (creating)

Wow, don't know what else to say Ivan. This is like Christmas in October. Amazing stuff.

JohnMarchant
10-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Looking forward to it Ivan

Ivan_B
10-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Jingle bells Jingles bells...lol!!!

I've had some messages were a person asked about rigs for mutants (people with arms on their backs etc) so I gave it a go..super easy, so ill include that as well.

JohnMarchant
10-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Would really like to see one about Wings, especially bird and bat wings Ivan

zapper1998
10-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Would like a video tutorial on Tilt Camera, making things look really small and focused, with blurred surrounding's ..
does that make any sense??

Mike

erikals
10-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Jingle bells Jingles bells...lol!!!

I've had some messages were a person asked about rigs for mutants (people with arms on their backs etc) so I gave it a go..super easy, so ill include that as well.

hehe http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

thanks, replicating Wrath of the Titans - Makhai, is he... ? http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://www.creaturespot.com/storage/Ma_L_sketch_v177.jpg

jeric_synergy
10-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Would like a video tutorial on Tilt Camera, making things look really small and focused, with blurred surrounding's ..
does that make any sense??
Mike
Makes sense, but the render times would be brutal. I suggest instead tutorials on FAKING it using Depth Maps-- I have yet to successfully (although I haven't tried TOO hard) to get proper depth maps out of db&w's product-- it's very confusing.

Ivan_B
10-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Would really like to see one about Wings, especially bird and bat wings Ivan
I have to look into that, but I imagine it would be an arm with really long fingers with webbing in between them..if thats the case it should be easy ( i'll do a mockup to see how it goes)

Hey Mike...Sorry mate, I have no idea about the Tilt or shift cam, but I certainly wouldn't and Dont do ANY blurs in Lightwave...all done in post. The way I see it, you can do a single 20 min render with blur etc, or a 30 sec render without it and add it in post with "real smart motion blur" for example (in Ae) or use depth matte and "lens blur filter"...Or you make your own gradient to focus in on that narrow band of the image....if its a still image even easier, duplicate the image, blur it and mask out the area you want sharp.
With depth pass, you simply measure the distance from the camera to the further most relevant object and enter that value in the depth options, that gives you a gradient from the front all the way to the back, which you can use with the lens blur filter in post and adjust the focal point anywhere along that gradient depth pass.

@ erikals..there you go, great example! you can do that easily..I did a test with 8 arms on a genoma rig..all good.

Ivan_B
10-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Hey Mike, Here's an example of faking the shift camera...I used compositing buffer exports depth pass and I set the distance to 70m in the options (which covers the whole scene)

Here's the results of the shift cam....I selected the shift camera..in the options I chose an object that was in the middle of the scene...you could use a null...then I went into the depth of field properties of the camera and set the "Lens F-Stop" to 0.05 and used 40 samples (you can still see that grain in the blur..and thats with simple boxes...blur is expensive imo)

Here's the shift cam results.

Ivan_B
10-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Here's a test bat wing setup..(ignore the crap modeling) just used a hand and mirrored the hierarchy.

The video is 1.3 mb...when quicktime opens hit CTRL L to loop it.

spherical
10-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Hey Mike...Sorry mate, I have no idea about the Tilt or shift cam, but I certainly wouldn't and Dont do ANY blurs in Lightwave...all done in post. The way I see it, you can do a single 20 min render with blur etc, or a 30 sec render without it and add it in post with "real smart motion blur" for example (in Ae) or use depth matte and "lens blur filter"...Or you make your own gradient to focus in on that narrow band of the image....if its a still image even easier, duplicate the image, blur it and mask out the area you want sharp.
With depth pass, you simply measure the distance from the camera to the further most relevant object and enter that value in the depth options, that gives you a gradient from the front all the way to the back, which you can use with the lens blur filter in post and adjust the focal point anywhere along that gradient depth pass.

These are all done in Ae?

Ivan_B
10-03-2014, 04:05 AM
Hey Spherical, if your referring to the shift camera images...the image with the depth pass was done in photoshop, you can easily do it in Ae...the second image was done in lightwave with the shift camera no post work.

Here's an update on the bat wing...I didn't do it correctly before...I left the arm out...not bad results without any dynamics.

spherical
10-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks. The depth pass was done in LightWave and then composited, yes? Kind of obvious, now that I type it, but want to be sure. IOW, there isn't a way to "fake it" in Ae alone... or is there? The blurred two layer Ps trick would work there, too, I suppose.

djwaterman
10-03-2014, 09:43 PM
The blur top and bottom would be pretty easy without any depth pass since it's not really interacting with the geometry much, but it some situations it would so it's best just to render out a depth pass.

JohnMarchant
10-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Thanks for those Wings Ivan

Ivan_B
10-04-2014, 01:12 AM
No worries John!

Hey Spherical, DJ's right...depth pass very handy if your doing an animation...stills are easy to fake...

Here's the results of faking a shift camera in Ae which is easier and looks better than in photoshop imo (because the Ae Camera lens blur effect works better / faster than the Ps lens blur filter)..Simply drop both the image and the depth pass into a comp, turn the eye off the depth pass, or place it under the image...(were just using its info, not wanting to have it visible) select the image layer, go to "effects-blur-Camera lens blur"...choose the depth pass as the "blur map- layer" increase the blur radius until your happy, now you adjust the "blur focal distance" (which moves the focal point along your depth pass allowing you to choose the point you want sharp) check "repeat edge pixels" if you like, it removes the blurred edges.have a play with the settings.

This image doesnt have "repeat blurred edges" on and you can see the dark soft black outline.

spherical
10-04-2014, 03:52 AM
Hey, Thanks. I'll give that a go.

ianr
10-04-2014, 05:17 AM
No nonsense tutorials with a polished finish end result in the latest revs.
Well done!

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 09:58 AM
No nonsense tutorials with a polished finish end result in the latest revs.
Well done!
No kidding-- I hope LW3dG is noticing and pimping on their social media outlets.

Ugghhh: not thrilled about having to tune into Twitter.

raw-m
10-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Ugghhh: not thrilled about having to tune into Twitter.

If you want to keep up with a bit of LW inspiration then that's the place to be.

prometheus
10-04-2014, 01:58 PM
If you want to keep up with a bit of LW inspiration then that's the place to be.

what about pinterest,facebook,youtube,vimeo...huh, I feel exactly the same as jeric_synergy, I donīt want to go there.

these forums could be a good place, unfortunatly a simple thing as doing a good gallery section isnīt available.

raw-m
10-04-2014, 02:25 PM
If you follow the right people then Twitter is a great aggregator for all of those, too. You don't have to post anything! I've picked up on loads of creative stuff that I would have otherwise missed. It's a global audience.

Great tuts here, picked up some great tips!

jeric_synergy
10-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Get off my lawn!

prometheus
10-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Is there a link to the right people? otherwise..I dunno.

Should be an option for every social media, this is crap and not for you, donīt waste your time following this, go here instead.:D unfortunatly the computers and web pages arenīt that smart yet, and my brain tells me that filtering through such stuff is to much of a time bandit and thus time consuming and is strictly
prohibited.

Itīs enough finally getting email notifications from the forums, from people here posting irrelevant posts about their lawn...

:D:D:D:D

Ivan_B
10-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Thanks ianr :)

lol!!!...you guys crack me up!!

Just an update, the Genoma tutorials gonna be full on, breaking it right down, every single preset, part, parenter, connector and subrigs (why there's variety of what seems the same thing)...Does Don'ts how to connect everything...how to delete and how they all work in layout etc etc ALL in one video...you'll be able to rig anything, all that will limit you is your imagination (ohhhh that sounded cheesy) but it true. Its gonna take a little longer to make as I'm including tendons and muscles...I got the tendons down, but the muscles are a little tricky (not so much as to how it works...thats all good, but more so how to incorporate them into the rig) I cant find anything on muscles used on a biped rig, so I need to experiment more.

JohnMarchant
10-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Looking forward to Genoma very much Ivan

ianr
10-05-2014, 05:49 AM
We gotta get U on a certain R. Powers
Xmas present list 4 all this Sturff!

Ivan_B
10-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Hey people...Here's the rig I will be creating in the tute, after covering the Genoma bits.

Rig Rotation 124773

There will be mouths.

Waves of light
10-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Pulls up a chair and sits patiently...

raw-m
10-06-2014, 07:21 AM
I like what you're doing there. Looking forward to this, I always get confused what bit of the rig should line up with the geometry!

Ivan_B
10-06-2014, 07:38 AM
The tute will be a semi build / detailed breakdown, but before we build it we'll go over EVERY preset part and what it does and how to use it, then use that knowledge to build the rig...ill be speeding up or editing the fiddly bits and highlighting all the important stuff...The idea is to remove the fear and confusion factor...When were done, you'll be amazed how easy it really is...then you can go nuts!..hopefully record it tomorrow.

JohnMarchant
10-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Cant wait Ivan

jeric_synergy
10-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Looking forward to it: haven't even LOOKED at Genoma, the shame, the shame...

tyrot
10-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Ivan you are filling the absence of Proton's awesome LW tutorials.. thanks for your efforts.. simply making us to try new things.. i feel like every tutorial somehow updating the LW:)

zapper1998
10-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Hey Mike, Here's an example of faking the shift camera...I used compositing buffer exports depth pass and I set the distance to 70m in the options (which covers the whole scene)

Here's the results of the shift cam....I selected the shift camera..in the options I chose an object that was in the middle of the scene...you could use a null...then I went into the depth of field properties of the camera and set the "Lens F-Stop" to 0.05 and used 40 samples (you can still see that grain in the blur..and thats with simple boxes...blur is expensive imo)

Ok I see now
How big are the objects? scale wise..??
trying to duplicate what u did..

I have a plane 5m x 5m loaded with cubes like yours 100 x 100.

Can You share the scene u used??

Thanks
Mike

Ivan_B
10-07-2014, 08:38 PM
lol!! Thanks people!!...feel free to send me all kinds of stuff...especially that rectangle paper with all the wonderful graphics and bar codes and serial numbers, with the big bold numbers 1 & 0 & 0 printed on it :) heheee.

Had some exciting news (for me anyway) My Camera Mapping tute got highlighted on the Lightwave newsletter, pretty happy about that, so thanks to whoever organized that!!

Slight delay with the Genoma tute, preparing project files and waiting for a new mic...my 1985 verbatim desk mic with the 3.5 mm jack needs to be retired. I'm going to be sharing some rig presets and maybe the character to try on your own. I also got some loopable walk cycles for humans and animals I want to cover as well as all the genoma stuff.

Mike.. I think the scale was 70m from the camera to the back of the cubes, your scene size doesnt matter all that much, as long as you set the Depth pass distance, so all the objects in the scene get calculated..

Here's the 124824...Inside it you will find 2 lw scenes, one is the fake shift and the other the real shiftcam...as well as an Ae project with the camera lens blur setup, and the renders.

BokadCastle
10-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks again People!
I did some experimentation to see if I could make a road with a crack running down it and control that crack, but much like the building, everything wobbles before you start unglueing with nulls etc, which makes it completely useless,

To stop the wobbles have you tried the "Activate on last key" method?
It's under Bullet > Item > Activation > Activate on last key.

Basically you select the item that's wobbling from the start and add a keyframe just before collision or whatever.

This tutorial covers that at about 7 minutes in.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/lightwave-115-forces-tutorial/

Ivan_B
10-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks BokadCastle..

Here's a couple of example videos of Genoma rigging, relating to my upcoming tutorial....Its my third go at animating, but the rig is cool.
Speed Rig fitting http://youtu.be/EjjBhYqlfHU
Character Animation and wires http://youtu.be/AHd739GMWwI

Waves of light
10-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks BokadCastle..

Here's a couple of example videos of Genoma rigging, relating to my upcoming tutorial....Its my third go at animating, but the rig is cool.
Speed Rig fitting http://youtu.be/EjjBhYqlfHU
Character Animation and wires http://youtu.be/AHd739GMWwI

Having watched, commented and shared your other vids, I really can't wait for the Genoma setup video. Really appreciate the efforts you're going too.

Ivan_B
10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Its on its way!!

Here's an example stretch animation with the Genoma biped preset....The setup works really well, but I want to customize it a little.

Stretch Animation example http://youtu.be/w0VTP8yOrNw

As per usual, after I finish the example, I do further tests and discover a way to create stretch limb presets to be added to your rig (modified an arm and leg), that allows you to move bones to create the stretch via a controller, no need to select bones (in bone mode) to move them...the amazing thing is all the controller default to zero making it super easy to make adjustments and end up back to the default bone position.

tyrot
10-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Ivan hi there- as a devoted fan of your tutorials - may i have a request?

http://benwattsdesign.com/portfolio/training-series-cinema-4d-vfx-vol-1-ground-collapse/

How can we (or simply can we) achieve same effect with our bullet - solutions? Any help - direction advice would be awesome

(this tutorial
http://benwattsdesign.com/portfolio/tutorial-15-objects-to-sand-with-x-particles/
is about to sell me C4D by the way - I really wanna generate those particles like that!)

Ivan_B
10-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Hey All,

So the Genoma tute is up now.
This video is all about rigging, there is a second part to come all about animating and the workflows.

http://youtu.be/nZ9oP_pFhS8

Ivan_B
10-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Hey tyrot...the collapsing ground is definitely something I would be interested in doing, just need to get a few things out of the way....as far as the particles, I have to look into that to see how it can be done in lightwave...im pretty sure it can be done.

tyrot
10-28-2014, 03:39 AM
thanks ivan for reply and awesome genoma tutorial..

raw-m
10-28-2014, 04:20 AM
Ivan, brilliant job! Loads to digest, I had no idea you could save polys with rigs in Genoma. Opens a lot of possibilities creating libraries etc. Very much appreciated.

tyrot:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143144-Cracks-growing-on-ground!

luciano
10-28-2014, 04:49 AM
you could not give us something better .. thanks for sharing your work Ivan_B

life3d
10-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Thank you. Great Tutorial!

tyrot
10-28-2014, 05:48 AM
And you are giving these tutorials for free. Man you are a saint and awesome teacher.. thanks for all the hard work once again.

SteveH
10-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Ivan, Outstanding job! Can't wait for the animation one. Thank you so much for doing these!

ianr
10-28-2014, 09:08 AM
IVan_ B +1

TopMan!

Ryan Roye
10-28-2014, 09:34 AM
Definitely the most comprehensive coverage of Genoma published to date even including the commercial content i've seen. I even learned a thing or two new about Genoma here.

The length of the content should not intimidate anyone as it is well paced and easy to follow.

pablogrca1
10-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the tutorial and goodies Ivan :thumbsup:

JohnMarchant
10-29-2014, 03:24 AM
Lovely Ivan, think i will dive in soon.

Waves of light
10-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Definitely the most comprehensive coverage of Genoma published to date even including the commercial content i've seen. I even learned a thing or two new about Genoma here.

The length of the content should not intimidate anyone as it is well paced and easy to follow.

This is a very welcome and in-depth tutorial into the world of Genoma. But I don't need to say anything else Ivan, because feedback like that from Ryan sums it up.

Ivan_B
10-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Hey People,

Thank you soo much for great feedback!!! very humbling....I couldn't find this thread...i went looking down the page and it was gone....They made it a "Sticky" I dont even know what to say :o

I'm working on the animation part now, hope to get it out in the next few days....going to cover the 12 principals of animation, setting up layout UI for animating (settings, timelines, graph editor etc) then we'll take a close look at MDD's, I'll then create some walk and run cycles (I have worked out a formula to create a walk cycle really quick with the feet perfectly locked to the floor) again including mdds...and lastly a production style workflow overview.

People have made some cool suggestions for tutorials...I'll be looking into them.

Cellshade.
Earth crack.
Object to particle dissolves.
Character cloth dynamics.
I want to take a look at transforming.....so there is a few I'd like to do.

Once again, thanks for the support and awesome comments!!!

Ivan.

tyrot
10-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Ivan .... writing comments is the easiest ..thing ... you are doing a great contribution to community...

Bart49
10-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Ivan, in your tutorial when your rigging the head on your model human character you use a "Biped Head". When I go to my Genoma heads I can only find " human heads 01 or 02". Have I missed something along the way or is this not neccessary and using one of these heads is adequate?

Ivan_B
10-31-2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks Tyrot! there's a few more to come.

Hey Bart....I messed up with the heads...a while back when I first started, I didn't know what I was doing, so I isolated the head from one of the complex bipeds and saved it out to use as a preset...to find later its the same head as Head_02 with the parenter, they just added another connector to connect the parenter to it, so the eye target moves with the head.

I used the borrowed head in my human speed build rig, and it broke the rig...I showed the mistake in the video just after I sent it to layout....I have since deleted that borrowed head. Head_01 & Head_02 remain.

Use Head_02 for your rig and add a connector, parent the eye control to that connector (if you want the eye control to move with the head), if not use Head_01, or don't parent...sorry about that! Don't worry I confused myself by adding another head..

JohnMarchant
10-31-2014, 03:27 AM
Also like the new presets as well Ivan, we could do with allot more genoma presets for lazy buggers, just like me :):)

OjN
10-31-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks Ivan,
I love it!

:)

ianr
11-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey Iv......Keep Up the Vegemite!

brent3d
11-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Hey People,

Thank you soo much for great feedback!!! very humbling....I couldn't find this thread...i went looking down the page and it was gone....They made it a "Sticky" I dont even know what to say :o

I'm working on the animation part now, hope to get it out in the next few days....going to cover the 12 principals of animation, setting up layout UI for animating (settings, timelines, graph editor etc) then we'll take a close look at MDD's, I'll then create some walk and run cycles (I have worked out a formula to create a walk cycle really quick with the feet perfectly locked to the floor) again including mdds...and lastly a production style workflow overview.

People have made some cool suggestions for tutorials...I'll be looking into them.

Cellshade.
Earth crack.
Object to particle dissolves.
Character cloth dynamics.
I want to take a look at transforming.....so there is a few I'd like to do.

Once again, thanks for the support and awesome comments!!!

Ivan.

Brilliant video Ivan-B! Please jump in on the 12 Principles! We need more. Excellent work!

Slartibartfast
11-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Wow! That genoma tutorial was really needed! And good! It belongs to the LW docs I'd say! Thanks alot!!!

Maybe you could answer a question to a rigging noob - On some joints, like the wrists, there is TWO handles. A box with a sphere in it which is called IKsomething. What's that for?

Ivan_B
11-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks People!!!

Here's the second part of the Genoma rigging tutorial, this one is all about animation...hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/uhvRfxrsUpQ

Ivan_B
11-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Wow! That genoma tutorial was really needed! And good! It belongs to the LW docs I'd say! Thanks alot!!!

Maybe you could answer a question to a rigging noob - On some joints, like the wrists, there is TWO handles. A box with a sphere in it which is called IKsomething. What's that for?

Hey Slartibartfast the box and sphere are the controllers used to move the arm about..I select the box and work with it, as well as that the hands have a wrist control. I use the arm control to make the major rotation changes, then use the wrist control to rotate the hand around.

Hey Brent3D, I actually left that part out, as there is so much information on it online...I was going to use my animation to show examples of the principals, but the video was getting really long...I might make a short video showing the principals, as well as the video preview options in layout.

JohnMarchant
11-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Thanks for that, Genoma is so much clearer after part one and now im going to get stuck into part 2

tyrot
11-05-2014, 05:23 PM
you are awesome dude- Best teacher since Proton:)

Ivan_B
11-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Hey John, couple more presets for you buddy!!

Thanks Tyrot...not sure about that...he actually knows stuff...Gonna have a good look at the earth crack, actually really keen to get that happening...gonna make a quick tute on cellsahde for some of my subs, then give some crack a go....lol!! you know what I mean!!

kadri
11-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the tutorials. Haven't watched still all of them but i certainly will :)

vector
11-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Ivan, thanks for your tutorials, they go in deep what Lwers need to know :)

jeric_synergy
11-05-2014, 10:59 PM
:bowdown: Seriously Ivan, you're doing us all a HUGE favor. Thanks so much!!! :bowdown:

Ivan_B
11-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Your welcome people!!!!

To stop the wobbles have you tried the "Activate on last key" method?
It's under Bullet > Item > Activation > Activate on last key.

Basically you select the item that's wobbling from the start and add a keyframe just before collision or whatever.

This tutorial covers that at about 7 minutes in.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/lightwave-115-forces-tutorial/
No not really....the video shows the pieces being held together with "activate on last key", but as soon as you get to that key, the WHOLE group of pieces move...What I need is for the pieces to stay COMPLETELY STILL until it actually is effected.
I'm in the middle of experimenting with an earth crack, using the glue method, or any other method, and there is now way at all to stop the wiggle..

Question: Does anybody know of a way to get a null set to something like "distance to object" to effect an MDD (motion file) not morph...the idea would be to bake out the earth crack all at once then control the cracking with a null or control any other object for that matter...ANY IDEAS???

Also there are a few people that made some nice comments and it seems I brushed them off, just want to say I read and appreciate all the comments people make...so thanks! and your welcome!

pinkmouse
11-07-2014, 02:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOMm5bGCWvg

This is a quick test I made a couple of days ago, it's by no means perfect, and needs much more work when I have time. Once I've done that and generally made the scene more comprehensible, I'll release it but basically, it uses a deformed collision object under the main mesh to set a pre-roll rest position, (you can see this in the first few frames), before the anti-glue null does it's work:

tyrot
11-07-2014, 03:07 AM
unfortunately there is an issue between glue strength and gravity - I was keep trying many different settings - i couldnt come up with something like C4D tutorial.

Is there a way to activate gravity gradually .. ? I tried some weights etc not working

pinkmouse
11-07-2014, 03:40 AM
Use a support structure underneath your parts, and allow pre-roll for everything to settle down before you start fracturing. I know how fiddly Bullet is, that's why I want to do some more work on this before I release it, I could end up going completely down the wrong road.

tyrot
11-07-2014, 03:53 AM
thanks mate - take your time..

Just thinking - DPKit' part move can act like a gravity (instead of using bullet's gravity) and then other rigid bodies - can interact with it.. Dont know i ll try it..

Ryan Roye
11-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Is there a way to activate gravity gradually .. ? I tried some weights etc not working

Use forces instead of gravity? Otherwise not sure.

erikals
11-07-2014, 06:14 AM
thanks mate - take your time..

Just thinking - DPKit' part move can act like a gravity (instead of using bullet's gravity) and then other rigid bodies - can interact with it.. Dont know i ll try it..

yep, http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?90291-BDD-Player-node&p=854067&viewfull=1#post854067

tyrot
11-07-2014, 06:56 AM
erikals! thanks! gonna try that now!

Ivan_B
11-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Hey People, I leave the crack stuff with you...It just doesn't work, so I'm not bothering (3Dmax, rayfire works...only the bits that need to move do, the others stay put)

After I make the celshade tute, I'm going to venture into camera tracking using Voodoo, which is a free camera tracking app (like syntheyes boujou etc)...show the tracking, exporting, lightwave setup, render and composite.

In the mean time here's a Trex Genoma rig preset you can play with.

JohnMarchant
11-10-2014, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOMm5bGCWvg

This is a quick test I made a couple of days ago, it's by no means perfect, and needs much more work when I have time. Once I've done that and generally made the scene more comprehensible, I'll release it but basically, it uses a deformed collision object under the main mesh to set a pre-roll rest position, (you can see this in the first few frames), before the anti-glue null does it's work:

That looks great Pinkmouse, i did one ages ago before we had bullet using smartmorph, it was just for a submarine rising up through an ice sheet.

tyrot
11-11-2014, 02:00 AM
Hey People, I leave the crack stuff with you...It just doesn't work, so I'm not bothering (3Dmax, rayfire works...only the bits that need to move do, the others stay put)

I KNEW it . I spent days days! it just does not work! Unless we have - gradually activating gravity - this is a hard taks.

THanks IVAN for trying it!.. waiting others

OnlineRender
11-11-2014, 10:25 AM

can't beat instanced boxes :) . shift-cam causes myself issues generally I fake in PS

OnlineRender
11-11-2014, 10:31 AM

After I make the celshade tute, I'm going to venture into camera tracking using Voodoo, which is a free camera tracking app (like syntheyes boujou etc)...show the tracking, exporting, lightwave setup, render and composite.

In the mean time here's a Trex Genoma rig preset you can play with.

nice , mind if I reference that on preset library , also is there a model that goes with the lwo or is it just the rig preset ?

Ivan_B
11-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Tyrot, I'm not saying it cant be done for sure, its just that I have tried everything and I cant get it to work...bullet really needs to be worked on to give us the ability to lock down parts until they are effected..I would really love for that to happen!!! then bullet would be complete in lightwave, its just missing that function, which makes it useless to create realistic destruction, cos everything MOVES with the tiniest touch...there shouldn't have to be any settling and wobbling....its probably easier said then done.

OnlineRender...go here http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144340-Genoma-Rig-T-Rex-Dinosaur and download the complete Trext with the rig embedded, however there are no textures...The trex is available from the LW 11 content...the rig I posted here is just the rig preset no mesh....not sure what you mean by "reference that on preset library" but you can do what you like with it....If by chance you become rich and famous from it, dont forget me LOL!!!!! :)

prometheus
11-16-2014, 08:01 PM
I think using a null reference and glue release might be the wrong aproach, they will be too twitchy at start, why not use kinematic object instead?

gravity gradient, nope..the only way to get it to stay out of action is until the very object has itīs last key set, so the gravity will not start until itīs last key.

Update...meh, of course kinematic object will apply to much of collision impact force that pushes ground pieces to much, so maybe not.

I noticed that gravity gradient set to multiply and a reference object indeed work, but I havenīt got it to work decently enough with other stuff.

you could use a gradient set to distance to object in the density tab too, so the cracks start only when the reference object is coming in, but it will not behave correctly with gravity at all it seems right now.

I tried this before with some fractals and some mystery negative values on some channel with interesting effect, not sure if it was a negative 1 glue value or something...have to check back.

Michael

prometheus
11-16-2014, 09:56 PM
[/QUOTE]
.bullet really needs to be worked on to give us the ability to lock down parts until they are effected..I would really love for that to happen!!! then bullet would be complete in lightwave, its just missing that function, which makes it useless to create realistic destruction, cos everything MOVES with the tiniest touch...there shouldn't have to be any settling and wobbling....its probably easier said then done.
[/QUOTE]

features are in chronosculpt:D

unfortunatly that is something I wanted and many else wanted inside of the layout and working with the scene and rest of the stuff, inside of lighwave itself, and not as a seperate module software.
I just hope chronosculpt might add some more income for the team, but then again if it stays as it is..it might just be that dynamics inside of lightwave will remain crippled.

I did get some gravity going on, while simply setting the density of the cracks to 0%, and using a ref oject in the density channel, if I had the gravity set to normal 9.8 ...there would be very little effect of the pieces going down..resulting in pieces just floating still in air, I then overide than normal gravity and boosted it to -200, and the pieces starts to fall down, but not until the reference object arrives...so there might be workarounds, I however just made this to quickly when I fractured the object, and it would still need crumple collaps, right now it just breaks and collapses without that proper effect.
not sure if I am up to continue with the project though, depends on how many obstacles will show up during the process.:D

prometheus
11-19-2014, 02:34 PM
here was my first stab at it, though I basicly just did a fast fracture without actually preparing it properly to crack more naturally.
and the dynamics are pretty much wrong since one would like to have the ground just sink collapse and not just fracture and fall down all together.
the fracture collaps is using a reference object and gradient set to that in the glue channel to release the glue, also used the same ref object with gradient set to distance to object in density channel, that means
there is no weight in the pieces until the ref object passes by, and thus the gravity isnīt affecting them until then.

If I got the time ..And feel for it, I might work on getting it look as a proper "sink"crumple collaps...if it is possible? probably after some testing and testing and testing x 10 or 20 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7awywAgzo

Michael

kadri
11-19-2014, 02:36 PM
It looks already good to me.

prometheus
11-19-2014, 02:39 PM
It looks already good to me.

10% of the level it should be at, if even that...in my opinion.

kadri
11-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Maybe. But in the right direction certainly.

spherical
11-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Reminds me of The Langoliers.

Scene file? I'm like to put experience alongside your description.

tyrot
11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
michael it looks REALLY cool...!

prometheus
11-19-2014, 03:29 PM
michael it looks REALLY cool...!

huh ..for a simple first mockup, ok..then it might be worth to work on some more then :) good to know.

Will have to spend some time to prepare the cracks in some various version in better ways and test different fracture options...I think that will be the basis of getting a good lookin simulation in the end.
Might need different fracture passes, that is making fractures in different steps, a lotīs of finer cracks in higher res for the main crack fracture structure that will be quite thin, a different crack size and structure for areas beyond that.

Meanwhile ..this might be some good referencing..some behind the scenes shots....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGdsLIi8Fw

pinkmouse
11-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Looking good Michael. I was going down the same route with density attached to a null, but you published first, so you get the credit! :)

I've also been getting interesting results by modifying gravity as well, I'll post something in the next day or so.

edit: That movie was my inspiration as well :D

prometheus
11-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Looking good Michael. I was going down the same route with density attached to a null, but you published first, so you get the credit! :)

I've also been getting interesting results by modifying gravity as well, I'll post something in the next day or so.

edit: That movie was my inspiration as well :D

Great..you had some promising stuff there too..keep posting, I think I got an interesting way of cracking up pieces in exact structure, it involves using the hidden csg slice tool and use that on a crack structure made with magic bevel, csg slice will cut exactly
according to the premade geometry, and further down the line you can crack those pieces with voronoi mode, so with that you should be able to desing how the cracks are going exactly by your own design..if that is what you want that is.

pinkmouse
11-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Not come across the CSG Slice tool yet, it amazes me what gems LW has hidden away in dusty cupboards... :)

edit: I quite often use the background points mode in Voronoi, it seems just a bit more controllable than others.

prometheus
11-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Not come across the CSG Slice tool yet, it amazes me what gems LW has hidden away in dusty cupboards... :)

edit: I quite often use the background points mode in Voronoi, it seems just a bit more controllable than others.

I often get too slow results when using points, probably I am not using it the right way.
About csg slice..yeah, a mystery why that was hidden, same with fill solid tool for filling objects with points, and also the explode parts command.

draw some simple shapes with the pen tool over a flat or extruded simple ground, extrude those shapes so they cover the area that is to be cut, then run csg slice, and directly after that use explode parts to see how it looks like, I have added csg slice
and explode parts to the fracture menu.

Michael

prometheus
11-19-2014, 05:01 PM
think I will give up for today, something to be aware of when using gradients and distance ref objects, seems lightwave has issues evaluation some stuff depending on how the gradient is set up, right now it just choked and locked up lightwave.

These are the kind of obstacles that could make you loose passion for continuing projects.

pinkmouse
11-19-2014, 05:08 PM
think I will give up for today, something to be aware of when using gradients and distance ref objects, seems lightwave has issues evaluation some stuff depending on how the gradient is set up, right now it just choked and locked up lightwave.

These are the kind of obstacles that could make you loose passion for continuing projects.

Indeed, Bullet really is a half finished implementation. I really hope it gets some love in 12. Full nodal control would be nice.

tyrot
11-20-2014, 01:13 AM
i was having similar issues - and i totally give up bullet on these type of effects.. T - for gradient has - unpredictable effects... - even sometimes no effects.... i can confirm also it is a limited implementation.

prometheus
11-20-2014, 02:12 AM
i was having similar issues - and i totally give up bullet on these type of effects.. T - for gradient has - unpredictable effects... - even sometimes no effects.... i can confirm also it is a limited implementation.

I am quite convinced it should be doable...but someone needs to go in the frontline and discover ins and outs and what works and not, and that means swearing and sweating and spending a ot of time to go through the hoops so to speak.
and when you think you are almost there, then of course the lw team will release a new lightwave version with improved bullet dynamics to make all the stuff you have gone through much easier:D

I gave up for today, but that donīt mean I will take the bull at itīs horn again later.

Ivan_B
11-23-2014, 11:22 PM
here was my first stab at it, though I basicly just did a fast fracture without actually preparing it properly to crack more naturally.
and the dynamics are pretty much wrong since one would like to have the ground just sink collapse and not just fracture and fall down all together.
the fracture collaps is using a reference object and gradient set to that in the glue channel to release the glue, also used the same ref object with gradient set to distance to object in density channel, that means
there is no weight in the pieces until the ref object passes by, and thus the gravity isnīt affecting them until then.

If I got the time ..And feel for it, I might work on getting it look as a proper "sink"crumple collaps...if it is possible? probably after some testing and testing and testing x 10 or 20 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp7awywAgzo

Michael

Hey Michael, that is an excellent result!!! can you post the scene file?...cant be bothered experimenting :(

I too was inspired by 2012...Love that stuff!!!!

prometheus
11-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Hey Michael, that is an excellent result!!! can you post the scene file?...cant be bothered experimenting :(

I too was inspired by 2012...Love that stuff!!!!

I will keep that in mind and might post it later, at least you are qualified to get it in your private box... since you are sharing so much yourself:D
I want to try and push it a little more before I do though.
so I have to get back on that, good to know that it might be promising though, it will inspire me to continue and push it a little more, so I just need to set a little time dedicated to that in the upcoming weeks.

Michael

Ivan_B
11-24-2014, 05:57 PM
No problems...take your time..

Just wanted to say...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just when you create Tutorials and learn something....a whole bunch of new stuff comes out!!!!!!!! Lightwave 2015. HEHEEEE some really nice features, but costs too much :(

prometheus
11-24-2014, 06:34 PM
No problems...take your time..

Just wanted to say...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just when you create Tutorials and learn something....a whole bunch of new stuff comes out!!!!!!!! Lightwave 2015. HEHEEEE some really nice features, but costs too much :(
Lol...I guess you could beg them to postpone the 2015 release, that will give you more time to do your...thing:D

I could use better fracture tools in there, but hey..maybe later, this update didnīt by first impression rock my bell though, so it will probably be a pass this time since 9.3

I need to check in to more with modo new dynamics and glues etc, and particle dynamics etc..sculpting and itīs voxel engine, and also check more on cinema and houdini, I throwed out a question about modoīs dynamic and asked how they would tackle this ground crack, and see if they can showcase a similar simulation, and if they run in to issues etc, I got a too technical description from the first poster so that didnīt make it clearer on wether or not someone has done it or not.

Im currently going trough some more breaking stuff with bullet, including revisiting particle fx linked kinematic objects as missile impacts.

Michael

Ivan_B
11-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey Michael...I'm kinda in the same boat as you now...I've just applied to do a Diploma and it looks as though I will have to change apps, maybe C4D or Max or maybe maya, as that's whats commonly used in the industry...lots of job opps if you have max experience. It doesn't look like I'll be upgrading to 2015 (since v9 as well) unless I can buy it with student discount.

Probably wont be doing anymore tutes...there's no point doing v 11 tutes with 2015 out....kinda feel like the genoma tute was a waste of time :(

Hopefully the newtek guys will make a bunch of new tutes for 2015.

prometheus
11-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Hey Michael...I'm kinda in the same boat as you now...I've just applied to do a Diploma and it looks as though I will have to change apps, maybe C4D or Max or maybe maya, as that's whats commonly used in the industry...lots of job opps if you have max experience. It doesn't look like I'll be upgrading to 2015 (since v9 as well) unless I can buy it with student discount.

Probably wont be doing anymore tutes...there's no point doing v 11 tutes with 2015 out....kinda feel like the genoma tute was a waste of time :(

Hopefully the newtek guys will make a bunch of new tutes for 2015.

I think I will do some stuff to showcase still, lightwave still rocks in many areas though I donīt think this release was what I had hoped for, it all depends on how the lw group will share and communicate a little bit more on the future roadmap, if I am left in the dark and is uncertain on wether or not sculpting tools,particle and voxel improvements will arrive soon or not?..and based on what we have seen now..I just canīt justify to put in too much work with Lightwave when I so desperatly have been crying out for some other enhancements I think should be there by now..and when those very same
features exists in other tools, then I need to test them out to verify if I would be satisfied with them.

Still doing particle and bullet sims with particlefx linked kinematics, need to repeat the actions in several situations and make sure I get it working in ( the back of my spine..Swedish direct translation) back of my head that is.

Michael

kadri
11-24-2014, 08:52 PM
I tried a scene to make with Lightwave with hypervoxels (it is here in the WIP section) but couldn't get the look i wanted.
I had Hitfilm 2 already and it was very easy to do with it, even in my first try with the software.
Maybe i would have tried Fusion if came out earlier.

I wanted improvements in that aspect too.
What i learned from the last years was using more then one software.
Would be nice to make them all in Lightwave but looks like some things i want are still 1-2 versions away.

Dillon
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Ivan,

I just started watching the 1st rigging tute, and WOW. THANK YOU so much. I left character animation for a while, and have decided to come back to it (and pair it with game engine). Your Genoma rigging and animation videos are excellent.

I want to ask you a rookie question; several times you used a contextual pop up menu that popped up where your mouse clicked. This is a new function that I haven't seen before. Is this built into LW, or is it a plugin you purchased? I'd love to set something like this up; I loved maya's floating pop up menu that came up when you called for them right where your mouse is.

Thanks again for the tutes (and in advance to anyone who knows where I can dig up this pop up menu)?

GO LW15!

Hey All,

So the Genoma tute is up now.
This video is all about rigging, there is a second part to come all about animating and the workflows.

http://youtu.be/nZ9oP_pFhS8

Ivan_B
12-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Boy have things changed...I have applied for a course and hope to get in (interview next week) and the software they use is Maya, zbrush, Nuke, Mentalray...I will have to learn all of them, principals are mostly the same (quietly confident).....I'll always have lightwave...but the industry standards are those apps, as it stands...you mention lightwave and people in the business get apologetic.."um I'm really sorry, nobody uses that software...it's maya or max" with that, let you down softly smile.

Hey Dillon...Thanks mate!!!!, the menus I think your talking about are the left, right and middle mouse button menus whilst you hold down "Control + Shift" ......to edit them "Alt-F10".

erikals
12-03-2014, 06:23 AM
yep, LightWave is for smaller companies, freelancers, archviz artists.

"nobody" is not true, but "nobody" in the character animation industry, unfortunately, yes... :/

Luc_Feri
12-06-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm gutted to hear you are not doing any more tutorials Ivan.

I have to say I've found your tutorials to be fantastic, a true joy, I was rigging walk cycles in minutes, the render composition and camera projection videos just great viewing.

Best of luck and thanks for all the time you spent on these mate!!

Cheers

Waves of light
12-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Really sorry to hear about this Ivan. Thank you so much for your amazing tutorials. Please don't feel that just because 2015 is out that your rigging tut will be obsolete... there will be a number of users still on v11 for a while and your Rigging tut was so informative and detailed that it will still be useful.

Keep us posted on how the crossover to the other software goes. But in the meantime, I wish you all the luck for your new venture.

Ivan_B
12-07-2014, 04:03 AM
yep, LightWave is for smaller companies, freelancers, archviz artists.

"nobody" is not true, but "nobody" in the character animation industry, unfortunately, yes... :/

Hey erikals..unfortunately here in oz, it actually is the case...arch viz is all done using max, vray (all the jobs advertised specify this very clearly) Not one job add has ever mention lightwave...if it did, I would jumped on it and made them hire me, its just the way it is...i'll keep using it for my freelance work for sure!!! If anyone knows of a production house in Melbourne Aust that uses lightwave, please let me know who they are so I can stalk them until they hire me lol!!

As far as the tutse go, there still might be some stuff to do, just have to wait for lw 2015 to settle in with bugs ironed out and then see if there's anything that might need to be updated tute wise such as Genoma II, I had a look at it and I think I know what they have done...IF I understand it correctly, you can create individual bone and set the parameters for its operation yourself...trying to see the initial advantages of it, still think the presets for genoma I are super quick...I guess genoma II allows for complete flexibility...just depends on your needs, the new bullet constraints stuff, probably needs a tute as well, hopefully newtek will make both tutes. LINO!!!! come on buddy!!!

When I think about it $500 to upgrade to an awesome 3D app such as lw2015 is a crap load better than $6000.00 or $3000.00 for an upgrade for maya lol!!! not buying it for that!!!! (if I get into the course...I'll check the student price, which will probably be around the same if not more then lw2015....if they think I suck, then I guess i'll upgrade to lw 2015 at some stage and keep doing my thing)

There are a few tutes i still want to do, that dont really require lw2015, just have to wait and see where my journey takes me from here.

How do you get the Lw 2015 manual????????????

prometheus
12-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Hey erikals..unfortunately here in oz, it actually is the case...arch viz is all done using max, vray (all the jobs advertised specify this very clearly) Not one job add has ever mention lightwave...if it did, I would jumped on it and made them hire me, its just the way it is...i'll keep using it for my freelance work for sure!!! If anyone knows of a production house in Melbourne Aust that uses lightwave, please let me know who they are so I can stalk them until they hire me lol!!

As far as the tutse go, there still might be some stuff to do, just have to wait for lw 2015 to settle in with bugs ironed out and then see if there's anything that might need to be updated tute wise such as Genoma II, I had a look at it and I think I know what they have done...IF I understand it correctly, you can create individual bone and set the parameters for its operation yourself...trying to see the initial advantages of it, still think the presets for genoma I are super quick...I guess genoma II allows for complete flexibility...just depends on your needs, the new bullet constraints stuff, probably needs a tute as well, hopefully newtek will make both tutes. LINO!!!! come on buddy!!!

When I think about it $500 to upgrade to an awesome 3D app such as lw2015 is a crap load better than $6000.00 or $3000.00 for an upgrade for maya lol!!! not buying it for that!!!! (if I get into the course...I'll check the student price, which will probably be around the same if not more then lw2015....if they think I suck, then I guess i'll upgrade to lw 2015 at some stage and keep doing my thing)

There are a few tutes i still want to do, that dont really require lw2015, just have to wait and see where my journey takes me from here.

it is located in the install directory..aprox...
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015\docs
dont know why they didnīt put it up in the account, a lot of people donīt seem to find it from scratch, and so was the case with me too.
By the way, the motors and car content is quite nice when you mix it with ragdoll and some other collision items, quite easy to showcase accidents etc.

Wickedpup
12-07-2014, 09:36 AM

Eh...maybe I misunderstood you.....but if you get into the course youīll have access to all AD software for free.

And thanks for all the great tutorials. Found them to be very educational and inspiring. You sort of filled in a hole in the LW world so I can only hope you will continue making them.....but if you move on it is quite understandable......got to go where the job opportunities are.

jeric_synergy
12-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Considering the repeated question of "Where's the manual?", I'd classify it as a design failure (polite 'bug') and take steps to make it more obvious to find.

It doesn't matter that it's THERE, it matters that enough customers are having trouble finding it. LW3dG's job is to make LW a pleasure to use, and leaving irritating speedbumps in the road does not serve that purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

Ivan, fwiw I've really appreciated your tutorials, and thanks for making them.

Please don't give up on LW.

Ivan_B
12-11-2014, 02:10 AM
LOL thanks people!!!....like a stooge I did a google search and found a thread mentioning the location, before coming in here :( , anyway...I found it and have been going over it. I checked genoma II and if I'm not mistaken, they have taken the bone setup options from layout and added them to modeler, which means you have to know how to rig manually, but you can save it to the mesh...personally I'm sticking to genoma I not even going to bother with genoma II, let alone make any tutes on it....Lino has a great tute on manual rigging (the one that came with Lw11 I think), just do it modeler instead of layout.

Hey Wickedpup: whilst doing the course, the educational institution (school, academy...whatever) has licenses for multiple computers for students to use (I'm sure we pay for it in the fees) As a student (must be enrolled and have proof) you can purchase software at student discounts...I think Maya cost $300-400 (instead of $6,000.00) for student, Lightwave is $100 I think for student copy of 2015 (instead of $1,500.00) something like that (sorry if I'm wrong)...you get the idea. I hope to continue making tutes, as long as they are relevant.

Looks as though i'll be going back to study in 2015, interview went really well, just waiting for the enrollment details etc (unless they decide to change their minds).

Ivan_B
12-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Hey People, Here are the new Lightwave 2015 tutorials, Thanks Lino!!!

This is the "Lightwave 3D Group" Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHH_DyamqSy1UJUCvYhdR8A

DaveyWaver
08-25-2015, 05:36 AM
Hi Ivan_B,

Thank you for this free tutorial series.

magiclight
11-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Is there a problem with the Help/Contents menu ?