PDA

View Full Version : NewTek General Forum Changes?

cresshead
04-18-2014, 07:15 AM
all the forum posts on lightwave general section appear to have been moved
....is there something big afoot here?
...are newtek pulling the plug on lightwave?

answers on a NON moved reply if possible...

i guess it's not but "what the what" is going on...it's like someone hacked the site or something..

WilliamVaughan
04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Looks like they just cleaned up that section and moved things to a proper location

SBowie
04-18-2014, 07:53 AM
Looks like they just cleaned up that section and moved things to a proper location

I believe that is correct. Chuck posted about this possibly happening in the NewTek General area (here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131666-Octane-render-for-Lightwave&p=1378465&viewfull=1#post1378465)), but it might be a little tricky to find now, since that thread has also apparently been relocated.

p.s. I am certain this had nothing to do with LW, as must be clear. Obviously, the very extensive set of LW categories remain, with something for everyone. I think Chuck's post explains what the "NewTek General" forum was provided for, which also explains why it sits outside the main body of LW (or TriCaster, etc.) forums.

cresshead
04-18-2014, 07:58 AM
phew...with all this heartbleed stuff in the news i thought the site was being hacked or something....

so what is okay to post in the general section now?...the only post not moved i came across was one about cats...

SBowie
04-18-2014, 08:03 AM
phew...with all this heartbleed stuff in the news ...No bloodshed, please. ;)

Chuck updated the Forum Policy the other day, not really making it any more or less restrictive, but to be a little clearer. I think it answers your question.

Tzan
04-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Chuck updated the Forum Policy the other day,

Some of those links are broken.

The General section didnt get enough traffic to fill a page in a day.
It is the one place that is guaranteed to be seen by everyone.
The SoftImage thread was just general discussion about industry stuff, not a LW 3rd party product.
By enforcing splitting things up 20 ways, just ensures that fewer people will see it.

I dont view every section, I do always view General.

Not really complaining, just means I'll be seeing less stuff.

cresshead
04-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Some of those links are broken.

The General section didnt get enough traffic to fill a page in a day.
It is the one place that is guaranteed to be seen by everyone.
The SoftImage thread was just general discussion about industry stuff, not a LW 3rd party product.
By enforcing splitting things up 20 ways, just ensures that fewer people will see it.

i just see this a perfect way to stop people posting and reading anything in the general forum...i have NO flipping clue what can be posted there now so will simply leave it to die a slow painful death~!

all the stuff about add on renderers for lightwave such as octane...gone..
general industry news..gone...
3d events..gone...

cats...still there...

so general is now a cat related thread?
i dunno some times you guys just make me shake my head...what are you trying to achieve?

if you want more visits to sub forums this will not get you that end goal i believe...more like people will just wonder off and go elsewhere when the first forum looks dead - general

hrgiger
04-18-2014, 11:29 AM
If the forum being broken or down or even just acting screwy means the end of LightWave, that means that LightWave has been retired several hundred times now.

But honestly, a few of the forum sections aren't really the most clear and honestly sometimes I don't know where to post certain topics. You have the general section which means what? General LW things or general cute cat videos on youtube things? Obviously a lot of people are confused on that with all those threads being moved. Community section which honestly is very open to interpretation. I mean, anything that even mentions LightWave could be there. When you ask questions in the general support section do you know what you get for answers? Yes, that's right! Tips and tricks which of course already has its own section.

Since LW3DG has sort of broken off onto their own apart from the Newtek parents and now have their own website, maybe its time to create a separate forum where people can just discuss things LightWave. And to be a bit more focused I would even suggest to make the following sections a bit easier for people to understand where to post their discussions.

LightWave Shows/Events
LW3DG Announcements to Community
LW Contests
General Discussion (Not LW or 3D related)
CG industry discussions
LightWave Community News
LW WIP galleries
LW Finished Galleries
Sketch of the Day/Concept work
LW user groups
LW help/support
Share your Tips, tricks, and tutorials
Feature Requests
LW-Mac support
LW-PC support
LW- Network Rendering
Character Animation
Modeling
Game Development
VFX
Motion Graphics
Print Graphics
ArchViz
Node Library and Workshop
Advanced Camera tools
LW-3rd Party
Scripting and development sections (with subsections)
Chronosculpt section (with subsections)
Nevron Motion Section (with subsections)
Classifieds LW + 3rd party related
LW jobs
LW Education_Training

I know that NT has their policy about discussing competitor products on their forum which is why they should include a CG industry section. I mean things happen whether we discuss them or not and you tend to drive people away by censoring them. LW3DG has been improving interchange between other apps which is a good thing. Maybe its time they started improving the interchange of ideas and open discussion as well. Tear down that wall Gorbachev.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
"CG Industry" or "Other Applications" seems like a good idea.

I do think the Tricaster folk may profit from seeingthe occasional LW post.

erikals
04-18-2014, 11:52 AM
i just see this a perfect way to stop people posting and reading anything in the general forum...i have NO flipping clue what can be posted there now so will simply leave it to die a slow painful death~!

all the stuff about add on renders for LightWave such as Octane...gone..
General Industry News..gone...
3d Events..gone...

cats...still there...

i wonder about this too... what exactly can i post in the General forum now... ?

movie news?
hardware news?

bazsa73
04-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Thumbnails please to the galleries!

cresshead
04-18-2014, 12:35 PM
the god old days...bring 'em back please!

SBowie
04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
You have the general section which means what? General LW things or general cute cat videos on youtube things?My read is that it definitely does not mean "General LW things" (if it did, it would be called "LW General"). Instead, the 'policy' sticky at the top, as it long has, states "conversations that are not product-specific".

So, my personal expectation is that is would contain things of broader industry or corporate interest. One can think of many examples apart from (the obviously vital) cat threads: legal and regulatory concerns, and similar broadcast and communication industry topics; the never-ending format wars; matters relating to the company at large, its policies; and so on. (I can write this free of any official bias, btw, since I had nothing to do with either the formulation of the policy nor it's application in this specific housecleaning.)

Community section which honestly is very open to interpretation. I mean, anything that even mentions LightWave could be there.OK. :)

I know that NT has their policy about discussing competitor products on their forum which is why they should include a CG industry section.Speaking just as a member, I don't disagree that a "CG Industry", and equally perhaps "ArchViz Industry", "Game Industry", "Video Production Industry" (and so on) forum group would be useful. I don't think the policy on promoting competing products, which is by no means a ban on discussing them, interferes with that possibility.

Oedo 808
04-18-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure what this latest develpoment was meant to achieve, was it a 'work-to-rule' tantrum by the guy who can't fix the forums and is being told 'you suck'?

Other than that I'm not sure why, if GD is taking many of the views I have a feeling this change follows the logic of "Look at all those guys outside the store looking in at our girl shakin' her arse in the window display, let's get rid of the girl and then they'll come in and buy somethin'."

hrgiger
04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Speaking just as a member, I don't disagree that a "CG Industry", and equally perhaps "ArchViz Industry", "Game Industry", "Video Production Industry" (and so on) forum group would be useful. I don't think the policy on promoting competing products, which is by no means a ban on discussing them, interferes with that possibility.

Well promoting and discussing is a fine line. Discussing is calling attention to another product which is in itself promoting that product. The fact is, there are many things going on beyond LW world that are quite good and I don't see why those things shouldn't be discussed. Some of the more recent advancements in LW were not created in LightWave, they were created in other products. As I said, its about the openness of discussion and ideas that help move a product/community, not the isolation.

SBowie
04-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Well promoting and discussing is a fine line.Not really, imho. Moderators here have traditionally been pretty tolerant in this respect, only stepping in when someone has pretty clearly crossed the line. (Not surprisingly, those who want to be free to go on endlessly about how superior this or that product is will disagree with my assessment).

Sometimes we encounter members whose sole purpose appears to be to promote a competitor. I think it's generally considered bad decorum to directly link to promotional material for competing products, too. But simply noting that 'Product x has a feature I really like - is there anyway to do this in LW, or can we get something similar?', or similar non-confrontational or promotional discussion seems to be well within bounds to me ... up to a reasonable point, of course.

[Edit: It occurs to me, on reflection, that I was sidetracked by the 'promotion versus discussion' topic, and overlooked your comment re: "its about the openness of discussion and ideas that help move a product/community". I don't disagree even slightly, but being 'open to discussion' doesn't mean that the various discussions can't usefully be organized into channels, rather than just posting all and sundry into a single place designated for another purpose, possibly for little other reason than that it appears near the top. A great many of the threads that were moved properly belonged in LW Community anyway, imho, and that's just a single entry lower in the forum hierarchy. By contrast, much of my own reading requires a great deal more scrolling.]

Chuck
04-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Yeppers. It's that simple.

Chuck
04-18-2014, 01:59 PM
all the forum posts on lightwave general section appear to have been moved
....is there something big afoot here?
...are newtek pulling the plug on lightwave?

answers on a NON moved reply if possible...

i guess it's not but "what the what" is going on...it's like someone hacked the site or something..

Hi, Steve! Apologies, but I felt it necessary to revise your title for this thread. It seemed to me to be an inappropriate response likely to cause needless panic. NewTek General has always been an "off-topic area" of sorts, though with no one having a lot of spare time to move things around to areas where they should actually be, it does get a lot of traffic that belongs in other sections. Yesterday I took a bit of time to move some things around, and that included both LightWave product related posts and TriCaster product related posts to well over a dozen different sections where things ought to have been posted in the first place (support, third party, techniques questions, etc.). I'm hoping that people will take this as a guide and start posting to the appropriate section rather than using the place to discuss things other than products for product discussions.

Chuck
04-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Several things to note:

Redirects (those "Moved" notices that now fill the forum) were left in place for all threads moved - just click the redirect to get to the thread. Those will be present for about a month.
I only went about two pages into the listings, to catch the currently active threads and move them.
Yes, I left the Cats thread of course, but I also left a variety of other discussions and I note that those are all higher in the listings than the "Cats" thread, which means everyone who has commented about the Cats thread had to go past those others to find the Cats thread to use as an example. That's fine with me, I won a bet with myself on that one, and can now buy myself yet another astronomical equipment goodie (provided I can sneak it in past She Who Must Be Obeyed). :)

I do appreciate the input on whether some of the moved threads might really have been best in General, and will think that over.

For those of you who expressed doubts about the ancestry or character of the perpetrator of this dastardly act, well, I have those same thoughts myself every day. ;)

Chuck
04-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Well promoting and discussing is a fine line. Discussing is calling attention to another product which is in itself promoting that product. The fact is, there are many things going on beyond LW world that are quite good and I don't see why those things shouldn't be discussed. Some of the more recent advancements in LW were not created in LightWave, they were created in other products. As I said, its about the openness of discussion and ideas that help move a product/community, not the isolation.

Note that in reviewing the threads in the NewTek General section, none were deleted or edited, just moved to a more appropriate product-specific section. As you note a lot of work has gone into improving LightWave's interoperation with other products, and as Steve Bowie noted our moderation staff sees the point to discussions of other products in terms of improving LightWave.

As far as any changes to the LightWave forum sections roster or arrangement, the NTLW3DG staff on the moderation team would be able to consider and address that. My own reaction yesterday when moving some things around was that perhaps something more than a "Third Party" section would be useful for the discussions of working with other applications in the pipeline. Anyway, I am sure that Rob, Matt and the crew are cooking on forum issues for the future.

hrgiger
04-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your input Chuck. Good to see you around here we don't often do anymore...Is there a reason for your return posts here today? :)

Oedo 808
04-18-2014, 04:58 PM
My winning personality has drawn him to the forums, like a moth to a flame.

Perhaps.

spherical
04-18-2014, 05:51 PM
{General} is the one place that is guaranteed to be seen by everyone.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Maybe I'm unusual in the fact that I visit, idunno, 8 forums each day to see what's going on. There are posts in all of them anyway. Having topics all gathered that are similar in scope, some even related to each other, allows you to find things easier and maintain a subject focus in your head while reading them. Move on to the next subject area, your focus is allowed to change and, at least for me, is far more conducive to learning and also helping others learn.

Evidently, you are, and have been, missing out on a LOT. Just because it isn't in General doesn't mean that it doesn't exist and/or isn't worth reading. Visiting the dedicated areas isn't all that taxing.

<SNIP>
i dunno some times you guys just make me shake my head...what are you trying to achieve?

if you want more visits to sub forums this will not get you that end goal i believe...more like people will just wonder off and go elsewhere when the first forum looks dead - general

A bit reactionary, IMO. What's the Big Deal? It isn't about "getting more visits to other areas". It's about keeping things organized. If it were this way at the start, you'd be used to it. Other forums that I visit are governed this way and it is decidedly refreshing to know where to look for topics there; not be bounced around between subjects with each and every successive thread in the list. If a number of threads, not all, in dedicated forums were then moved to BE in one lumped together pot, there'd be complaining about that; because it's chaotic.

A number of people also complain about the less than reliable vBulletin search function. Crops up frequently enough that it's become tiring. Having a clue on where to narrow the search for a particular thread/topic just may allow the search function to work better; instead of blithely hitting {Submit}, without narrowing to only one or two forums (because you Don't Know Where Anything May Be), thereby forcing it to try to slog through all of the forums. I know from reading other vBulletin admin's posts on the subject that search consumes a LOT of CPU and Disk Access; many times bringing down the server if enough searches are being performed concurrently. A busy forum running on vBulletin stresses the server significantly. So, a limit must be put on the processes. Most times, it has to be run on two or more servers, forum display on one, database on the other(s), just to keep the whole thing from having a melt down. There are other factors to consider and organized distribution is a Good Thing.

I obviously support this initiative, because it make sense on many levels. Given a little time, you'll get used to it; may even come to like it. I'm actually quite taken aback at these heated reactions.

spherical
04-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Just thought of a case in point that may illustrate the concept. In LightWave 3D Support there are:
General Support
LW - Mac
LW- PC

How many times have you seen someone just post a thread in General and then when a person comes along to help, has to ask "What Operating System?" before they can offer a relevant solution? If the OP had been diligent in the first place and started their thread where it should have gone, that question is automatically moot and pertinent information can begin flowing earlier, rather than later. It just makes common sense.

calilifestyle
04-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Thumbnails please to the galleries!

Yes please , please hook us up with thumbnails.

DesertRat
04-18-2014, 06:22 PM
I always go to Quick Links> Today's Posts

Because I am lazy :)

spherical
04-18-2014, 06:52 PM
I'll have to try that. Thanks!

+1 on the Thumbs... or should I say: "Thumbs-up on the Thumbs"?

EDIT: Just tried the Today's Posts and New Posts links in the top menu. Seems a great solution for those who like everything all poured in together. Keep that open and open threads in a new tab. Everybody's happy.

SBowie
04-18-2014, 06:54 PM
I always go to Quick Links> Today's Posts

Because I am lazy :)I just hit the "New Posts" link at left whenever I check in.

A number of people also complain about the less than reliable vBulletin search function.I get annoyed with the current search too. It seems to me the problem started about the same time the servers were last moved, and it's my impression that the database is only indexed roughly back to that time. Anything older and you're up the creek.

spherical
04-18-2014, 06:57 PM
How many servers are you running?

Sometime, it'd be really great to get the whole index completed. There is a lot of good stuff in the Beta forums that still pertain. I could use some of that to help users with Dielectric. Put a lot of work into some of those replies. Not being able to access them is a detriment.

SBowie
04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
How many servers are you running? Sometime, it'd be really great to get the whole index completed.I really don't have any specific knowledge about this, it just seemed to me that after the server and software version upgrade, all of a sudden searches turned up nothing before that time. Actually, though, I just tested something and now it seems to go back much further. So maybe it's been done and I'm whining about something they already attended to.

spherical
04-18-2014, 08:20 PM
I'll check!

EDIT: Performed a search, limiting the scope to only the relevant earlier 9.x Beta forums just now and all of my long lost threads/posts appeared; alongside many others. Got 158 posts in 7 pages of results on Dielectric in those 8 forums; dating back to 2006. So, it would seem that you are correct. The entire index has been completed.

SWEET!

Now, if I only could get all of my posts from that era, as user: bjspace, attributed to this current user account.....

erikals
04-18-2014, 09:09 PM
...Is there a reason for your return posts here today? :)

hmm....

djwaterman
04-19-2014, 12:58 AM
I always feel sorry for tricaster users who come here and have to wade through all the LW related stuff.

cresshead
04-19-2014, 03:50 AM
My read is that it definitely does not mean "General LW things" (if it did, it would be called "LW General"). Instead, the 'policy' sticky at the top, as it long has, states "conversations that are not product-specific".

So, my personal expectation is that is would contain things of broader industry or corporate interest. One can think of many examples apart from (the obviously vital) cat threads: legal and regulatory concerns, and similar broadcast and communication industry topics; the never-ending format wars; matters relating to the company at large, its policies; and so on. (I can write this free of any official bias, btw, since I had nothing to do with either the formulation of the policy nor it's application in this specific housecleaning.)

OK. :)

Speaking just as a member, I don't disagree that a "CG Industry", and equally perhaps "ArchViz Industry", "Game Industry", "Video Production Industry" (and so on) forum group would be useful. I don't think the policy on promoting competing products, which is by no means a ban on discussing them, interferes with that possibility.

well my post on the develop 3d event in the uk got moved...that was GENERAL...go figure...maybe i needed to put some pics of cats in there to keep it okay!..
maybe that needed to be posted lw community?

general = no 3d, no video, no movie news, no tv news, no camera news/reviews, no tech on streaming news... i guess?

SBowie
04-19-2014, 05:37 AM
I suspect that sometimes when someone does a housecleaning, an earring might inadvertently get swept up with the rest of the litter.

I see Chuck has moved a few items back into General, but yeah, thinking about it, wouldn't news of a 'general' 3D event be appropriate for LW Community? Seems like it would to me, but I suppose there are nuances that could shade things one way or another. Camera news - trickier, because it could potentially be of interest to several branches of the 'family'. Personally, I think I'd leave that one up to the poster.

A cat picture, of course, is always welcome. Though personally, I'd as soon skip it if it's going to be one like this:)

jeric_synergy
04-19-2014, 10:12 AM
If the OP had been diligent in the first place and started their thread w.....
"Diligence" is not a trait that's so common: how many threads have completely useless titles, such as "Help!", or "How do you...???" ??

IOW, This Week's Pet Peeve.

BeeVee
04-19-2014, 01:23 PM
I visit this forum nigh-on daily. To do so I just type "f" in the address bar and Firefox pops up the following address: http://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew. It's the only way to get through the interesting, beautiful or worrying things in this forum in a timely fashion. I don't really care what the categories are, I never see them, just the new posts wherever they may be.

Copy that url, or just right-click on the New Posts link at the top of the forum if you want to do the same.

B

cresshead
04-19-2014, 03:58 PM
I visit this forum nigh-on daily. To do so I just type "f" in the address bar and Firefox pops up the following address: http://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew. It's the only way to get through the interesting, beautiful or worrying things in this forum in a timely fashion. I don't really care what the categories are, I never see them, just the new posts wherever they may be.

Copy that url, or just right-click on the New Posts link at the top of the forum if you want to do the same.

B

Hmm good idea..like it!

3dWannabe
04-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Would it be possible, when moving a thread, to retain the subscriptions? If you don't notice that it's been moved and re-subscribe, it's possible to miss a lot of replies.

SBowie
04-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Would it be possible, when moving a thread, to retain the subscriptions? If you don't notice that it's been moved and re-subscribe, it's possible to miss a lot of replies.My subs updated automatically following the moves. Sure yours didn't?

jwiede
04-19-2014, 09:48 PM
My own reaction yesterday when moving some things around was that perhaps something more than a "Third Party" section would be useful for the discussions of working with other applications in the pipeline. Anyway, I am sure that Rob, Matt and the crew are cooking on forum issues for the future.

Chuck, yeah, the first thing that occurred to me seeing the posts moved was that ThirdParty would now become what General had been before, a big catch-all. It's too broad, IMO, and while it'd be a good section-title for a _set_ of forums, not so much for a single forum. At the very least, it'd be nice to separate discussion of "Lightwave Plugins & Lightwave-specific add-ons" (ThirdParty's prior defacto focus) from "Discussions on Other 3D Apps, etc."?

It used to be possible to glance at ThirdParty looking to see if new plugins had been released, updated, etc. My concern is that shifting so much of what was in General over to ThirdParty will now make it difficult to track new releases of LW-specific plugins and add-ons. If the plugin database were receiving more frequent updates, it could serve that role (akin to what Flay used to serve), but so far its updates have been too infrequent to serve as a "news feed" about new plugin/addon releases.

In fact, I'd actually prefer the latter, shifting the "plugin release monitor" role to an RSS or such associated with the frequently-/reliably-updated LW plugin list -- is there any liklihood of that? In the mean time, can you please at least split off "ThirdParty Lightwave Plugins / Addons" from "General ThirdParty Discussions"?

spherical
04-19-2014, 10:04 PM
My concern is that shifting so much of what was in General over to ThirdParty will now make it difficult to track new releases of LW-specific plugins and add-ons.

Doesn't Forum Tools > Mark This Forum Read solve this? Once you're up-to-date, new stuff is easy to spot. I agree that LW -Third Party may be better as a dedicated section within the LW area, but unto itself, with sub-forums for overall types: Renderers, Modeler Plugins, Layout Plugins, etc., then dedicated Discussion threads in each can be started by Third Party Developers that are Pointed To from an announcement thread posted elsewhere.

erikals
04-20-2014, 12:31 AM

B

yep, have a shortcut here that goes directly to that address:
http://forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew

LW_Will
04-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Hmm... if we could flag the forums we were interested, you could use the New Posts much more effectively.

I'm just saying...

jeric_synergy
04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
My default goes to "SUBSCRIBED" rather than "NEW".

Threads can be subscribed, can entire fora be also?

3dWannabe
04-20-2014, 04:35 PM
My subs updated automatically following the moves. Sure yours didn't?

I noticed I wasn't getting any new notifications, so I subscribed to each again (maybe I didn't wait long enough?).

The 'Thread Tools - Subscribe to this thread' never changed to 'unsubscribe to this thread' (which I guess it never does - but would be useful).

I may be missing the indication given when viewing a list of all the threads in a sub-forum that I've subscribed to a particular thread. I understand in the 'quick links' there's a 'subscribed threads' menu. Possibly I should have looked there?

BTW - the indexing is now working for me for a thread I could not find by name earlier in the week. Thanks!

prometheus
04-20-2014, 07:48 PM
I noticed I wasn't getting any new notifications, so I subscribed to each again (maybe I didn't wait long enough?).

The 'Thread Tools - Subscribe to this thread' never changed to 'unsubscribe to this thread' (which I guess it never does - but would be useful).

I may be missing the indication given when viewing a list of all the threads in a sub-forum that I've subscribed to a particular thread. I understand in the 'quick links' there's a 'subscribed threads' menu. Possibly I should have looked there?

BTW - the indexing is now working for me for a thread I could not find by name earlier in the week. Thanks!

Let me know if you have issues with the subscription...we have two threads about that already, some prank happend on the first of april I guess, or microsoft or the bulletin forum provider got the hickups due to some heartbleed condition and probably
changed something that prevents automatic email notification?...something like that.

Michael

Chuck
04-21-2014, 11:16 AM
I really don't have any specific knowledge about this, it just seemed to me that after the server and software version upgrade, all of a sudden searches turned up nothing before that time. Actually, though, I just tested something and now it seems to go back much further. So maybe it's been done and I'm whining about something they already attended to.

I ran a rebuild on the thread and the forum information last week, it may have helped the situation; or MIS may have run an index since the last time you checked.

Chuck
04-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Chuck, yeah, the first thing that occurred to me seeing the posts moved was that ThirdParty would now become what General had been before, a big catch-all. It's too broad, IMO, and while it'd be a good section-title for a _set_ of forums, not so much for a single forum. At the very least, it'd be nice to separate discussion of "Lightwave Plugins & Lightwave-specific add-ons" (ThirdParty's prior defacto focus) from "Discussions on Other 3D Apps, etc."?

It used to be possible to glance at ThirdParty looking to see if new plugins had been released, updated, etc. My concern is that shifting so much of what was in General over to ThirdParty will now make it difficult to track new releases of LW-specific plugins and add-ons. If the plugin database were receiving more frequent updates, it could serve that role (akin to what Flay used to serve), but so far its updates have been too infrequent to serve as a "news feed" about new plugin/addon releases.

In fact, I'd actually prefer the latter, shifting the "plugin release monitor" role to an RSS or such associated with the frequently-/reliably-updated LW plugin list -- is there any liklihood of that? In the mean time, can you please at least split off "ThirdParty Lightwave Plugins / Addons" from "General ThirdParty Discussions"?

I would agree that a forum area with several sections for discussion of other applications, plus third party applications, third party plugins, etc., would be a good parsing at this point. As noted, the 3D moderators on the team will need to make the determination and any changes on that score, and the other suggestions that you have for getting out 3D information.

Chuck
04-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks for your input Chuck. Good to see you around here we don't often do anymore...Is there a reason for your return posts here today? :)

I just made some time for the forums. Nominally I at least try to get to them for a look daily, but don't necessarily have time to do much moderation, posting or replying. My current role is in communications and the concentration is on our new social media outlets. If you are following the NewTek branded accounts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or Google+, I'm doing most of the content for those services, and all of the content for them for video marketing. The LightWave 3D Facebook and Twitter accounts are done by the NTLW3DGroup.

On the forums these days the task I get to most frequently is posting notices in the Shows and Events section on upcoming NewTek trade show appearances and Reseller partner events.

jeric_synergy
04-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Hey Chuck: good work on the Facebook communications push (can't speak to the others)-- the LW content is very welcome. :thumbsup:

---OOooooo, LinkedIn, ehhh? Maybe I can score some virtual set gigs over there! :) :dance:

prometheus
04-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Good luck chuck on the social medias and the showcase and marketing there, I might even check in there sometime..though Im not connected to facebook:)

Personally I am not that excited over all the social media hype and "you got to be there" etc, I think it is to much overrated and simply distracts us from get a life so to speak, go out for some fresh air and exercise so we dont get too fat, many of us probably spend to much time in these forums alongside with too much sitting in front of the computers and having fun or work with Lightwave, but its of course a free choice...or is it? :) yah..I got me the amiga many many years ago, and connected quite fast to the net ..but still no facebook:) twitter I did some tweets on for my company at one time, but found it quite irrellevant and not much of use, I think I need to invent a completly new type of social media never seen before:) Then again...It would contradict my own policies about the whole "to much social media stuff"

Michael

OnlineRender
04-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Good luck chuck on the social medias and the showcase and marketing there, I might even check in there sometime..though Im not connected to facebook:)

Personally I am not that excited over all the social media hype and "you got to be there" l

agreed with distraction part ... but the artwork being posted on LWiki FB group has been absolutely outstanding of late ... and if you need a LW question answered you usually get a response within the first 30 seconds of posting , then you have the tutorial aspect ... I have pretty much gave up on NT forums, I get all my news from FB or the LW PUB skype group .

I will try to be polite here however engage RANT MODE...

* Chuck this is not directed at yourself or anyone , it's more aimed at the collective so please don't take offence but rather action "

simply put the forums are slow *dog slow* active user numbers are down and personally I am getting fed up with the modo v lw threads "although amusing at times" there is a wealth of knowledge on these boards and some really good information but its a mess no core structure "opps said Core" but it brings me onto another point "NT" you put a division in a community open/closed forum ...

THEN

you killed wads of back links newtek.com/forum and I know for a fact the htaccess rule is wrong because I tried to reference a tutorial and got hit with a redirect to the homepage "nasty"

THEN

you cheap'ed out on a crappy VB skin that still has css errors among others

THEN

no artwork being displayed , the community is driven by people creating stunning artwork and none of it is being showcased , I honestly cant wrap my head around it ... plus you are running 4.2.0 I would suggest an update

it's been said a thousand times over , tricaster people deserve a proper forum rather than being slammed down to the bottom they fork out a lot of money for hardware/software and the minimal I would expect as a user would be a dedicated forum.

LW3DG have done an excellent job of the website , give it to them*sorry MG* for 3 hours and fix the basic stuff at least.