PDA

View Full Version : Matchmover importer

clintonman
04-17-2014, 06:10 PM
I just got the free Matchmover and it didn't work with Lightwave. It works with fbx but I don't get any trackers. So this script will read an XSI vbscript export from it. I've only tried it with one tutorial so no guarantees on the quality.

I also have a question. The script won't work properly with the camera fov animation if the camera tab is active. The script is set to open the camera tab so it can set the values. Any ideas how to get around it so it doesn't depend on the status of the camera options tab?

http://clintons3d.com/plugins/lightwave/index.html

On a side note I just did a test with Syntheyes 2008 and it was much faster and had a cleaner result. In both tests I just did the equivalent of pushing the big green button for full automatic solving. Matchmover can't compete with a program from 2008. Maybe that's why it's free now. The test was with Daz Carrara so the script here has nothing to do with the test.

geo_n
04-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Interesting script. WIll test. I wonder why the script is for xsi. Is it possible to do the same with the maya or max export from matchmove?
In my test the maya, max script is the most accurate output regarding camera, etc.
Syntheyes and bojou are definitely superior to matchmove. But I won't complain since matchmove is free now and very suitable for my side projects :D

jeric_synergy
04-17-2014, 10:54 PM
If you have AE, I'd appreciate a comparison between Syntheyes 2008, AD Matchmove, and AE's 3D tracking solver. That would be very interesting.

clintonman
04-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Nope, my AE is a version or 2 short of the 3d tracking features.

geo_n
04-18-2014, 01:20 AM
There's some slight difference with camera fov using the script.
When using matchmove, maxscript, fbx I get consistent camera fov from all. 3dmax and lw horizontal fov match perfectly to two decimal level. While fbx rounds out 0.5 value to whole digit.
But when using matchmove>xsivbscript>lw, the camera I get is a little off. Lw horizontal fov doesn't match the camera I get from 3dmax or fbx by a bigger margin.
Like 31.62 from this script compared to 29.685 from 3dmax, 29.68 from fbx.

clintonman
04-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Interesting script. WIll test. I wonder why the script is for xsi. Is it possible to do the same with the maya or max export from matchmove?
In my test the maya, max script is the most accurate output regarding camera, etc.
Syntheyes and bojou are definitely superior to matchmove. But I won't complain since matchmove is free now and very suitable for my side projects :D
Yes, it can be done with the maya and max outputs, but in this case it wouldn't make any difference. They all output the same fov value for the camera in my one test. I chose xsi because it was the easiest format the only disadvantage is that it doesn't have any reference to the sequence it was generated from.

clintonman
04-18-2014, 08:30 PM
I think my math is off. I'll need to test more to pin it down. Also don't forget to check the resolution of the camera. Different aspect ratios can change the fov. On top of that different pixel aspects can mess it up too.

clintonman
04-18-2014, 09:14 PM
It's fixed! I found that I was using the wrong math for the fov. It was based on code for conversion from a Collada file. A search of these forums here found a post from 2003 with the correct math.

geo_n
04-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Cool! Can't wait to test!
Thanks for doing this! Now we have free tracker that is super easy to use and compatible with lightwave.

geo_n
04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Downloaded again from website. Still didn't get correct horizontal fov inside lw when I tried it.
You can compare the output from mm to fbx even without the tracking points the camera horizontal fov is correct.

clintonman
04-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Downloaded again from website. Still didn't get correct horizontal fov inside lw when I tried it.
You can compare the output from mm to fbx even without the tracking points the camera horizontal fov is correct.
Is there a sample you can share? I used the basic lion sequence tutorial that came with Matchmover. Can you track that and let me know?

geo_n
04-20-2014, 12:36 AM
Is there a sample you can share? I used the basic lion sequence tutorial that came with Matchmover. Can you track that and let me know?

Tried the lion. Camera I get from fbx is 29.69 and maxscript 29.685.
Have a new issue. Adding a coordinate system seems to have an effect on the lw import.
http://firestorage.jp/download/2b3af5af8d0567029931a9a0c9ea9f22221559d3

clintonman
04-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks that helped. I know what the problem is and just have to figure out how to fix it.
We get different fov because I just did the solve and nothing else, but it looks like you did some extra work to get a better result.

clintonman
04-20-2014, 06:10 PM
I think it's ok now. It works on my lion and your lion with the coordinate system change. The last problem was caused by a difference in rotation order between lightwave and matchmover/XSI. I didn't see any built in way to fix it so I used a hierarchy of nulls to recreate the rotation order and either parent the camera or set it to same as item for the bottom of the hierarchy.

geo_n
04-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks will test. The rotation order can be changed in preference for mmover. For lw in my test with fbx export y is up is ideal. Don't know if its the same as xsi or not. If not then there will be an issue with rotation order with the vbscript as you mentioned and fixed. With max I switch it to z is up and the maxscript comes in perfect.
Does anyone know why mmover keeps freezing when manipulating the viewport? Need to press ctrl+alt+del to get it to unfreeze.