PDA

View Full Version : New free plugin JettoLocal!

jagoca
11-21-2003, 04:18 AM
Hi!

For those of you who enjoyed JettoBevel and JettoFillet, I've released a new plugin (this is my first C plug, hope not last!)

JettoLocal allows user to define a local coordinate system, so after running the tool, all your geometry on background and foreground gets aligned with original Lightwave coordinates. Make all your editing and run the tool again to recover original orientation. Simple and easy.

The power of this tool is the fact that transformation is stored on layer's name, which allows to have different layers with different alignments (original idea was from Szabolcs "Jester" Matefy, thanks!). Moreover, you can close Modeler with a transformed layer, being easy to restore orientation at any time.

Well, the link is

http://3dfightclub.com/~jettocrack/lightwave/plugins

As is said in the page, this is an early prerelease. It seems no buggy, but there's some work to do yet. Hope I get the needed free time.

Enjoy it, and post any suggestions

omeone
11-21-2003, 05:13 AM
thanks for sharing (again) jacoga, initial tests work perfect (winnt5 LW7.5c).
I think I'll be using it quite a bit :)
do you do requests? ;)

jagoca
11-21-2003, 05:42 AM
do you do requests?

what do you exactly mean with requests? I'm spanish, so don't always understant some expressions...!

omeone
11-21-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by jagoca
what do you exactly mean with requests? I'm spanish, so don't always understant some expressions...!

:D :D the expression is used by annoying people when they want a musician to play a song that the musician doesn't want to play.

I was being cheeky, I have a script I need to write, but I have to learn LScript first, and dont know if it can be done, but I imagine it's pretty simple, if you ever get realy bored and want a challenge - let me know ;) ;)

jagoca
11-21-2003, 06:40 AM
We'll, if the tool could be interesting why not?

JettoLocal was born from something similar to a request! The problem is that I just abandoned LScript (well, not at all...), since I find the SDK far more powerful, fast, stable and without problems related to compiled LScripts.

I want to see version 8 and its new LScript capabilities...

j3st3r
11-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Jagoca, thanks for the plugin!

I forgot to tell, that how I love Spain...My favourite country. Sangria....wow...

Anyway, I have another idea...I began to write a script, but I`ve ran into problems. That script would do a Sew and Move UV. In maya or MAX it works like that you select the EDGES where you want to sew the different UV parts. Hit the sew and move, and the separate UV parts would joined along the selected edge...If you interested, I can send my initial script.

Anyway JettoLocal is out, and I`m really happy with it!!!!

jagoca
11-21-2003, 11:25 AM
hey, I like sangrķa too! Althought when I drink too much of it I feel, well, not really capable of explain it.. :D

Sorry, but I'm not very expert about UV's. In fact, my texturing abilities aren't very good at the moment. I want now to focus my programming skills to interactive tools ;)

anyway, thanks for the offer!

Kvaalen
11-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Great plugin as always!
Can't wait for your next one.

But is there any reason for using C?
I know it has some advantages but it seems to me that this can be done simpler in LScript.

Originally posted by j3st3r
Anyway, I have another idea...I began to write a script, but I`ve ran into problems. That script would do a Sew and Move UV. In maya or MAX it works like that you select the EDGES where you want to sew the different UV parts. Hit the sew and move, and the separate UV parts would joined along the selected edge...If you interested, I can send my initial script.

You can take a look at my UV Tools. There is such a script (UVSew) and it is an LScript so you can see how it was written:

http://mapage.noos.fr/samuelLK/Plugins/Plugins.html#UVTools

Hope this helps :) .

j3st3r
11-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Here is my attempt. It would be more useful, because it would drag (and align) all the connected UVs of the source UVs to the goal UVs. Imagine that you`ve atlas mapped an object. In maya or max you select the shared edges and press sew (or stitch). It will not only sew the selected UV, but it aligns all the polygons connected to the source edge to the target edge. It is really easy to UVmap an object like this.

jagoca
11-21-2003, 02:05 PM
But is there any reason for using C?
I know it has some advantages but it seems to me that this can be done simpler in LScript.

The main reason is that I wanted to learn writing C plugins, and this has been my first attempt. Writing a lscript would be really easy (although codifying the matrix transformation slightly different), but I prefer not having to track with two paralel versions of the same tool, at last for now...

Why don't give it a try? ;)

Kvaalen
11-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by jagoca
The main reason is that I wanted to learn writing C plugins, and this has been my first attempt. Writing a lscript would be really easy (although codifying the matrix transformation slightly different), but I prefer not having to track with two paralel versions of the same tool, at last for now...

Why don't give it a try? ;)

Ok, I see.
I don't see any use in giving it a try with LScript since you have already created a C version which is probably better than an LScript could be.

But in that case you need to change your signature from "My LScripts" to "My Plugins". :)

thekho
11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Wow, Thanks for your excellent plugin which is useful for my product design like lamp, chair etcs.

spigolo
11-23-2003, 01:23 AM
Thanks Jagoca!
You are doing more for lightwave modeler in few months than Newtek in years! It's a life that I thought about a plugin like that but unfortunately i'm not a programmer.
Hope Newtek will ask you directly to develope other useful things like you did or enanche lightwave develope tools so that people like you may find easy to write plugins.

thanks again we do a lot of Arch visualization and a plugin like yours is very useful.

Greetings to Spain from Italy

Nemoid
11-23-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by spigolo
Thanks Jagoca!
You are doing more for lightwave modeler in few months than Newtek in years! It's a life that I thought about a plugin like that but unfortunately i'm not a programmer.
Hope Newtek will ask you directly to develope other useful things like you did or enanche lightwave develope tools so that people like you may find easy to write plugins.

thanks again we do a lot of Arch visualization and a plugin like yours is very useful.

Greetings to Spain from Italy

Agree totally! Thx Jacoga !
keep on developing new astonishing plugs.:)

adk
11-26-2003, 09:43 PM
..ahhh this is exactly what I've ( and many others ) needed for ages jagoca ;) I think I mentioned that in your previous thread about this plug. A huge thanks for developing such a much needed tool.

jagoca
11-27-2003, 08:03 AM
There's a JettoLocal update comming in two or three days. It will include (along with some fixes):

-A config menu, in which you can select which two axis are being defined (currently only XZ, but with this any combination). Config appears when no points are selected.

-Possibility of repeating the last local coord system used, simply selecting only one or two points. A bit tricky, isn't it?

I think I'm not going to add more selection possibilities :( (as poly normals), since current method is versatile enough for most situations, and I have new projects in mind :-P
If some of you doesn't agree, please, tell me, although I can be really stubborn