PDA

View Full Version : Something feels weird about the final 11.6 release

prometheus
04-17-2014, 12:07 PM
been testing the final release of lightwave 11.6 final build now for some week or two now..
weird behavior such as VPR often freezes at some point when tweaking stuff, I do not recall this happening in in 11.6 previous build before that.

add a simple emitter to the scene, add a groundplane, then deleting the emitter..the emitter object is gone, but the panel of the emitter is still opened..and no matter what I do I can not close it.
some occasional crashes I need to keep track on.

Edit...yepp saved the scene, tried to close it to get away with the emitter window...Crash!!

Michael

Celshader
04-17-2014, 04:48 PM
add a simple emitter to the scene, add a groundplane, then deleting the emitter..the emitter object is gone, but the panel of the emitter is still opened..and no matter what I do I can not close it.

Greetings,

I tried these steps in a 64-bit version of 11.6.2 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. When I deleted the emitter (by selecting it in the Current Item list and typing "-"), the emitter panel went away, too. Is there something else I need to do to trip this bug?

Jen

prometheus
04-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks for jumping in jen..
Unless I canīt repeat it, or taking notes when this occours or actually look in the crash log, it wonīt be necessary I guess, I tried to repeat the process to see if it would do the same, but not at the first attempt, I will keep an eye on it to see if something similar happens again, I have a recollection of that it in fact did something similar earlier, but didnīt take notice that much at that time.

So I have no specific scene content where this happens, it just popped out at the time I was about to test something, It may be due to Lightwave being so advanced nowadays that it could have gotten self-awareness, and just decided to mess with me for itīs own internal fun:)

The other issue is more repeating, that is the VPR often suddenly freezing for a while when changing values in textures or other stuff, have tried changing the fps rate..but still there, but I will try and take note of that more and perhaps check against other previous versions with the same scenes/objects and tweaking process.

this was on windows 7 Lightwave 32 bit versions...I need to install the 64 bit version though, since I noticed how the 32 bit couldnīt handle over 3 millions of particles, which I think the 64 bit does, at least I have gone that far with previous versions but canīt recall if it were 32 bit or 64 bit.

a special scene I got issue with, poly heavy...that was the alien space jockey model over at foundation3d, it crashed using vpr on it, but that might be what to expect maybe for 32 bit not able to handle it, here I also recall older versions able to handle it, but not if I at that time used the 32 bit or 64 bit version..I thought I used the 32 bit version, but not sure really...I would have to go back maybe reinstall earlier builds just to verify that, or get someone else to test the alien space jockey scene on 32 bit version...with vpr.
http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=208&p13_fileid=340

I will post back later ..and just maybe and hopefully I can deny these recent weirdness feeling I got, they are some kind of experiences I didnīt get with lightwave 11.6 previous builds, I want to conclude that it is something else than bugs at least.

Thanks!

Michael

Ivan_B
04-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Switching between VPR and modeller still crashes, mostly freezes (doing my head in..I use vpr a lot), and I've noticed if you keep vpr on and do other stuff on the computer everything slows right down...You always have to turn vpr off when making any changes.

bazsa73
04-20-2014, 11:08 AM
I received 2 days ago my new workstation and I can't recreate these problems. VPR seems solid and when I delete the emitter the window disappears as it should.

--edit
YEP!
I cleared the scene test scene, reloaded a new scene and it crashed.

prometheus
04-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Switching between VPR and modeller still crashes, mostly freezes (doing my head in..I use vpr a lot), and I've noticed if you keep vpr on and do other stuff on the computer everything slows right down...You always have to turn vpr off when making any changes.

Welll...In my case it wasnīt about switching between modeller and layout, it was something purely in layout when somehow the emitter pfx window still was opened, after I deleted a simple emitter, I could move the window, but not minimize or close it or access it at all, so I figured I just clear the scene, then boom crash...but as I mentioned, havenīt been able to replicate it by setting up some sort of similar set up, not sure either if the installement of the new UI window tools might have something to do with it, but
then again..I didnīt have that program running at all at the time, and I also had lightwave closed and opened several times after that.

The VPR issues for me is often when I drag timeline, or tweak textures in hypervoxels...and sometimes it just freezes for a moment, this wasnīt the case with lightwave 11.6 previous build...but again, I need to be more alert of when that happens and take notes on it..and check on the other version doing the same process.

Making changes in modeler and turn vpr off...I mostly do that, sometimes if using point clusters and modifying them, I need to switch to vpr directly for best overview (drawback of no point editing in layout) and I havenīt noticed any particular
crashes in such cases, but depends highly on what you work with I guess, fiberfx polystrings seem to slap you in the face with crashes though..and thatīs even without vpr and only opengl.

Michael

jwiede
04-20-2014, 07:23 PM

Is that on Windows or OSX? I notice VPR is significantly less well-behaved on OSX versus Windows, esp. w.r.t. stuff like ceasing to "recycle" rendering when LW isn't foreground*, Layout->Modeler switches, and so forth.

*: To clarify, I'm referring to how VPR should eventually stop rendering once it converges to "stability", but on OSX frequently seems to instead start over re-rendering the frame despite Layout not being the foreground application. If Layout isn't the foreground app, there shouldn't be any events that could trigger re-rendering the frame reaching Layout, yet I've seen it do so many times. Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where providing content or reliable repro is quite difficult, because I only notice the issue when VPR fails to stop consuming cycles after a while.

prometheus
04-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Is that on Windows or OSX? I notice VPR is significantly less well-behaved on OSX versus Windows, esp. w.r.t. stuff like ceasing to "recycle" rendering when LW isn't foreground*, Layout->Modeler switches, and so forth.

*: To clarify, I'm referring to how VPR should eventually stop rendering once it converges to "stability", but on OSX frequently seems to instead start over re-rendering the frame despite Layout not being the foreground application. If Layout isn't the foreground app, there shouldn't be any events that could trigger re-rendering the frame reaching Layout, yet I've seen it do so many times. Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where providing content or reliable repro is quite difficult, because I only notice the issue when VPR fails to stop consuming cycles after a while.

My system specs says? windows7:) but who knows ..could have been on another computer of course.
So no OSX issues here..just some other prank it pulls on me.
but itīs not similar to what you describe either, it can happen when I tweak som hypervoxel setting, or texture setting working with procedurals and dragging some frequencies or other values..it works fine for a few seconds, then occasionally it
halts and do not refine at all for some second...and then it sort of carries on with the refinement after that..and I can continue to tweak ..until it happens again.

Michael

jwiede
04-21-2014, 02:11 AM
My system specs says? windows7:) but who knows ..could have been on another computer of course.

Or it could be I was asking IvanB, the person whose post I'd quoted, and who didn't have that info in their sig. :rolleyes:

prometheus
04-21-2014, 07:31 AM
Or it could be I was asking IvanB, the person whose post I'd quoted, and who didn't have that info in their sig. :rolleyes:

I could be me having gritty reading glasses too you know:) sorry about that.

Michael

Ivan_B
04-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Hey jwiede I have a win 7 setup ...after some testing what I found was that when vpr is rendering (must point out I use vpr without draft mode and 10 samples, so it renders for about 10 sec) and im in modeller or ps its is really sluggish, but once the render is finished all is back to normal.

However making changes to a model in modeller while vpr is rendering it, and switching back to layout cause a crash as the model tries to update itself almost every time!

Just made myself happy...made a shortcut for vpr I assigned "v" for vpr!! ...the small things :)

prometheus
04-25-2014, 11:37 AM
I think I need to go back and install 11.6 build before this final build, I canīt say for sure if it indeed is the final build causing trouble or the fact that I now use it on another machine,
though I am getting crashes all the time when switching to layout from modeler with vpr "accidently open'" Or it actually freezes and layout becomes completly unresponsible so I have to shut it
down trough the task manager.

VPR is constantly getting some halts when tweaking hypervoxels, both in volumetrics and in surface mode..I can tweak some seconds but later on it just hangs for a few seconds instead of updating.

As it is now..it is in fact a real pain to work with lightwave..unfortunatly...but as mentioned, it could be driver issues to.
I also get a lot of crashes when working with dpont textures ..but it happens so randomly that I canīt pinpoint it.

Michael

prometheus
04-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Well..fired up 11.0 though that install is 64, but I do not get the same issues with the vpr, I can switch between modeler and layout on the same scene without these freezing or crashing occouring...as I do get with 11.6 final 32 bit, not sure here if it is a memory issue due to subdivided terrain, though it isnīt that heavy I think, guess I have to try reduce it and test again.

Michael

spherical
04-25-2014, 02:47 PM
If you have 64-bit available, I'd just not bother with 32-bit for HVs and the like.

prometheus
04-25-2014, 03:00 PM
If you have 64-bit available, I'd just not bother with 32-bit for HVs and the like.

there are some plugins not availbable for 64 bit both in layout and modeler..thatīs the reason.

besides ..Iīm not sure it is due to 64 bit, Iīm pretty sure I messed with larger scenes than this in 32 bit and swapping between modeler and layout without it go freezing.

The freezing occoured not on hypervoxels scene, but on a regular subdiv terrain, when switching from modeler to layout and it shouldnīt...and it happens each time I switch.

Michael

spherical
04-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes, that's why I have both installed, too, and default to 64-bit; only firing up 32-bit when a plug hasn't been compiled for 64. I'll try a couple of tests to see if I can reproduce here.

prometheus
04-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Another reason for me mostly using 32 bit still..... is the lack of quicktime support in 64 bit.

And suddenly I can switch to layout without it freezing in lw 11.6 final 32 bit, after having worked a while with the 11.0 version.

Itīs weird...somethingīs glitching somewhere it seems.

prometheus
04-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes, that's why I have both installed, too, and default to 64-bit; only firing up 32-bit when a plug hasn't been compiled for 64. I'll try a couple of tests to see if I can reproduce here.

Doesnīt matter if you have both installed, it wont let me use 64 bit if the layout plugin isnīt there for a starter, thus I will fail anyway.

by the way..it worked for some minutes without freezing layout..but then I created a new object in modeler and did some changes on it, and voila...layout goes freezing again in vpr.

This time it also freezes modeler ..so I have to hard shut down them both.

Note...one of the few 64 bit only plugs...for the newer releases that is..turbulenceFD, which I didnīt like he went 64 bit only with.
Read my name..read my name or my avatar description:)

spherical
04-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Doesnīt matter if you have both installed, it wont let me use 64 bit if the layout plugin isnīt there for a starter, thus I will fail anyway.

You're not understanding me. I have both installed for when I cannot run 64-bit—for the same reason; just like you.... and everyone else for that matter. If the plugin is only 32-bit, you're in a 32-bit world. Otherwise, it's 64-bit all the time.

prometheus
04-26-2014, 10:20 AM
You're not understanding me. I have both installed for when I cannot run 64-bit—for the same reason; just like you.... and everyone else for that matter. If the plugin is only 32-bit, you're in a 32-bit world. Otherwise, it's 64-bit all the time.

That I understand, but it doesnīt solve my problems ..only yours, and you hinted me to not bother with the 32 bit versions:) and using both doesnīt solve the issues where layout only can use 32 bit plugin and is lacking the 64 bit version of the plugin that is.
And in such case...If I can not use the 64 bit version...I am out of luck with the issues I am having switching between modeler and layout, and the freezing in vpr that occours to often now.
well..thatīs how communication goes:) maybe I missed something anyway? failing to see the obvious here or?

Iīm really all for it to work with 64 bit only someday..but as you self have it in your workfloww...both 32 and 64, we are not there yet in terms of having most of
the plugins for 64 bit.

spherical
04-26-2014, 04:48 PM
You're STILL not getting me. I'm AGREEING WITH YOU; not trying to solve your problem. Can't BE solved by anything other than getting all of the plugin devs to compile for 64-bit. Just commiserating, is all. 8~

prometheus
04-26-2014, 06:34 PM
You're STILL not getting me. I'm AGREEING WITH YOU; not trying to solve your problem. Can't BE solved by anything other than getting all of the plugin devs to compile for 64-bit. Just commiserating, is all. 8~

haha..whatīs the point of agreeing with me:D
I donīt get you.. but I think we should leave it at that, unless you donīt want to pick a fight for no particular reason at all:D

commiserating, that I need to look up, havenīt heard that before.

spherical
04-26-2014, 11:36 PM
haha..whatīs the point of agreeing with me:D

Well, there is that... :)

I donīt get you.. but I think we should leave it at that, unless you donīt want to pick a fight for no particular reason at all:D

You mean "want to pick a fight for no particular reason at all". This can be arranged... :thumbsup:

commiserating, that I need to look up, havenīt heard that before.

Commiserating === We're in the same boat.

prometheus
04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Well, there is that... :)

You mean "want to pick a fight for no particular reason at all". This can be arranged... :thumbsup:

Commiserating === We're in the same boat.

Thanks for the lesson..will keep that in mind when going fishing with someone:)

I will keep your gracious offer in mind for later happenings:)
and yeah..I ment "want to" my mind was still on some weird Swedish grammar state, where things are the opposite sometimes, saying not when we actually do invite to something.

As David Hasselhoff has said..."man sweden is a strange country"..haha, sometimes itīs fun to watch him, he has started a swedish talkshow here in sweden that has been running for some weeks now, inviting swedish celebrities asking them..."what are you famous for?" It sounds a little ridiculous for them and the swedish people though, he donīt know much about them ..but we mostly know why they are celebrities.
He is also doing" snow watch" :) anyway...Itīs a little fun to se how he confronts some differencies in our culture from over there to here.

Back to almost topic..do you guys now if installement of pre-release 11.6 will interfere or put itself in the same install directory as 11.6 final build?
I would like to test them two against each other, I had my prerelease installed on my laptop..but has switched to desktop station now..so thatīs why I would like to compare them.

Michael

prometheus
04-28-2014, 11:41 PM
And here we go again with another 11.6 weirdness..

I tried to get fiberfx on a simple ground plane, the plane has particles on it, and I applied the instancer on it, set to particles, open fiberfx but nothing happens..and I donīt seem to be able to assign it in any way.
But that might be just me not doing it right, and I created a separate thread for that...
, anyway, I tried to instead test the instancing so it works ok, so I was about to add geometry gear tool in layout directly, but nothing is added to the scene....
tried several times...but nothing, the other ones work, but not the gear tool:(

prometheus
04-28-2014, 11:45 PM
try this guys, I cleared the scene and tested the gear tool in layout, that works...but then adding a particle emitter ..then trying to add the gear tool, it wonīt work over here, some weird conflict with the particle emitter.

prometheus
04-29-2014, 08:30 PM
was jumping in to the old 9.6

and found myself, what the, layout model tools and gear, and nothing..same with the others, then I recalled that in 9.6 it donīt work like that, you had to add a null first then run the geometry command....then it works. funny that it also works in 9.6 when you start to add a dynamic particle emitter, then just run the gear tool, and it will be there...so it made me think that something is glitching in lw11.6 and is conflicting with other newly created items such a particle emitter...just as I have described in the previous post here.

something must be wrong with the gear tool in layout, probably some old left over in it in terms of how it adds or recognizes itīs own or others master nulls.

over here in lightwave 11.6 final build ...you canīt add a particle emitter and then add the gear tool, all the other tools works, it would be nice if others could confirm this as a bug.

prometheus
05-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Guys, I am not a coder, I have never compiled or created an L-script, wasnīt sure if I could text edit the script and save it properly...anyway, I have mad a bugfix.

The bug of the gear tool not being created in layout if you add an emitter is done by me:)

I simply opened up the lscript for the cube in layout and the gear tool in layout and compared the text lines, the gear tool had this line...
newObject = Mesh();

Where the cube tool has this line...
newObject = Scene().firstSelect();

So I simply replaced the geartool line with that of the cube tool line for the "newObject"
Saved it in txt format and renamed the tool as create gear3.

The gear tool now works in layout even if you create an emitter first.

heres my bugfix.

Snosrap
05-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Lately I've been having VPR not work. I can set the viewport to VPR and nothing happens in the way of any rendering. There seems no rhyme or reason to it. I need to restart LW to get it render again.

prometheus
05-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Lately I've been having VPR not work. I can set the viewport to VPR and nothing happens in the way of any rendering. There seems no rhyme or reason to it. I need to restart LW to get it render again.

havenīt seen that, do you have multi viewports? how does that work in a single viewport, just thinking if you have issues with checking which viewport should be active etc?

I have issues of the vpr refinement that while tweaking or moving timeline, it suddenly can halt for a while before it starts refining again, and Itīs not especially demanding scenes, this seem to happen anyway regardless of scenetype.

Michael

Snosrap
05-04-2014, 09:21 AM
havenīt seen that, do you have multi viewports? how does that work in a single viewport, just thinking if you have issues with checking which viewport should be active etc? No- nothing like that. One minute its working and the next it's not.