PDA

View Full Version : Modeler "pick Surface" very slow

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Ok, what gives with the pick surface feature in modeler. OMG it is sooooo slow to load into with a decent size model. Then once you have activated it it is almost impossible to get out of it. Boy I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong cause this is insane. Been this way since it was introduced.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Wayne

Lewis
04-16-2014, 04:27 PM
What's the polycount of your mesh ?

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 04:45 PM
What's the polycount of your mesh ?

Don't have it in front of me but a lot. Over 100,000. But still, it has never worked at a relatively usable speed.

Lewis
04-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Well at 100k it shouldnt be that slow (although modeler generalyl is slow :() so maybe your openGL settings are slowing it down wven more ? Try to use MTShaders, VBO and Trasnparency off

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 04:55 PM
It took me almost 20 minutes to get out of it today. If it's that polygon limited you should have an escape mode or at least a warning before activating. I have Fprime which allows you to click in the render window on an object and it highlights the surface used. It works immediately but you have to be in layout.

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Tried those before. Generally modeler is fast. Can rotate objects almost real time. Have about 5 different pieces of equipment on different layers. Each are probably 100k or so. Super fdast machine with fast open gl card. Crazy slow. Other thing I noticed is when activated it shows all the points of the model even though I have show points turned off.

Lewis
04-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Tried those before. Generally modeler is fast. Can rotate objects almost real time. Have about 5 different pieces of equipment on different layers. Each are probably 100k or so. Super fdast machine with fast open gl card. Crazy slow. Other thing I noticed is when activated it shows all the points of the model even though I have show points turned off.

Rotating (Tumbling) is not a problem, EDITING is slow but 20 minutes to get out of picking surf mode is way too slow, it takes 25-30 seconds tops on million poly object so soemthign is weird there.

djwaterman
04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Lewis, what's the 'VBO' you referred to?

Lewis
04-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Lewis, what's the 'VBO' you referred to?

Buffered (VBO) modeler settings to use Graphic card accelration. If you put it on "Streaming" mode then you use old LW pre 9.2 mode whcih was CPU acceleration only.

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Buffered (VBO) modeler settings to use Graphic card accelration. If you put it on "Streaming" mode then you use old LW pre 9.2 mode whcih was CPU acceleration only.
I have it set to buffered always. Does it render the points in your display. Thinking that might be part of it. Even though I have show points turned off.

Lewis
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Can you record some video of what's happening maybe ? I'm not sure I understand what show turn off points are you refering to. PickSrf tool in modeler is part of Modeler 11.5 upgrade and it has 3 modes:
1. Normal - not using new mesh geometry core but see textures,
2. Fast preview - much faster mode with new mesh system but not displaying textures and having slight delay while starting the tool due fact that it copyes all to new mesh system,
3. Fast defromation mode - is all same like mode 2 but disregrading smoothing settings also to speedup even more.

So either you are usign different tool or we ar enot on same page :).

cheers

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Can you record some video of what's happening maybe ? I'm not sure I understand what show turn off points are you refering to. PickSrf tool in modeler is part of Modeler 11.5 upgrade and it has 3 modes:
1. Normal - not using new mesh geometry core but see textur

So either you are usign different tool or we ar enot on same page :).

cheers

When you click the button to activate mesh turns to blue wireframe and shows all the points on the mesh. Once it turns blue you can click on part if the mesh and the system will tell you what surface is applied to that part of mesh. If you have surface editor open it will jump to that surface.

How do you access those 3 setting you spoke of?

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 06:45 PM
When you click the button to activate mesh turns to blue wireframe and shows all the points on the mesh. Once it turns blue you can click on part if the mesh and the system will tell you what surface is applied to that part of mesh. If you have surface editor open it will jump to that surface.

How do you access those 3 setting you spoke of?

Ok, if I go under numeric I see the settings. Fast preview give you the wireframe. Normal keeps things as they were before activating and seemed to go faster on a smaller object test I tried. Just tried it on a layer with object 325k polygons and it took almost 2 minutes to activate and almost as long to deactivate tool

Wayne Heim
04-16-2014, 06:54 PM
I think I found the issue. In the perspective window I had that set to texture wireframe. I switched it so flat shade or wireframe and it is massively faster. Not sure why that should make a difference. Thanks for your assistance.

Wayne

Lewis
04-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Cool, good to see you solved it :).

Snosrap
04-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Another to keep in mind is that those new Sequence tools load in a new geometry engine or some such thing - that can cause a considerable pause when starting any of the new Sequence tools.

geo_n
04-18-2014, 12:27 AM
This tool is slow because of the loading of geometry engine mentioned. Evenflow pick surface is much faster.

jeric_synergy
04-18-2014, 12:31 AM
I think I found the issue. In the perspective window I had that set to texture wireframe. I switched it so flat shade or wireframe and it is massively faster. Not sure why that should make a difference. Thanks for your assistance.

Wayne
But will that be added to the dox?

jwiede
04-19-2014, 04:56 PM

That's probably worth filing a bug, in Fogbugz. Be sure to include content that demonstrates the problem (model, etc.). It's one thing for the display to be slower, but a 325K poly model shouldn't take minutes to activate/deactivate the tool in one display mode versus much less in others. If it does, something is horribly broken with textured wireframe GL code, and needs to be fixed.

jwiede
04-19-2014, 04:59 PM
But will that be added to the dox?

IMO, it is NOT an acceptable solution to document "only use display mode 'X' for usable performance" in cases like this, they need to fix their GL code so it is usable regardless of display mode. 325K polys is not a huge model, so if that's enough to cause _minutes_ of activate/deactivate delay, something is broken, textured wireframe shouldn't be that much slower than flat wireframe.

jeric_synergy
04-19-2014, 05:31 PM
IMO, it is NOT an acceptable solution to document "only use display mode 'X' for usable performance" in cases like this....
It's not a solution at all: it's a warning. A warning to the next poor sucker.

Since the ACTUAL solution is probably months, at least, away, at least we've warned users. And which is easier:

fixing code, or
amending dox?
Which could happen sooner?

ONCE AGAIN: if we had electronic, modern dox, this warning could ALREADY HAVE BEEN MADE. In the time it took me to type this post, the "Dynamic Documentation Manager", if one existed, could have amended the dox and set the online flag for "hey users, update your dox, there's new stuff."

Not a solution by any means, but better than nothing.