PDA

View Full Version : Illuminated keyboard

ernpchan
04-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Is anyone here using an illuminated keyboard that they're particularly fond of?

COBRASoft
04-16-2014, 01:29 PM
I have a Logitech (wired) and I'm very happy with it. It coms with a lot of customizable extra keys which come in handy for LW and my Software Development.

ernpchan
04-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Do you know the model? I'm seeing a lot of hits for the 800 but I think that's wireless.

cresshead
04-16-2014, 01:49 PM
no...just say no to backlit keyboards!

ernpchan
04-16-2014, 02:02 PM

I'm not snorting or smoking it!

COBRASoft
04-16-2014, 02:37 PM

What's up with that Cresshead? Even my laptop has an illuminated keyboard and I'm really happy with it.

P.S.: I don't know the model by heart sorry, but I can change the colors depending on the actieve application which is an even nicer experience.

spherical
04-16-2014, 03:27 PM
My partner's is a P/N: 820-001268 PID: LZ148BD. She loves it and I'd have one, too, except for the M$ ergonomic that is working fine. I'd have trouble switching to a straight KB after all these years typing on an angled one.

Oedo 808
04-16-2014, 03:35 PM
no...just say no (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLs0jv_Efk) to backlit keyboards!

LW_Will
04-16-2014, 03:51 PM
We NEED illuminated keyboards, for we work in the dark.... ;-)

I too own a wired illuminated keyboard from Logitech called (on the label on the bottom); "Logitech Illuminated Keyboard". (There is also a note saying a position in product development is available.)

It was mentioned by Mojo in his blog a few years and I got it and I LOVE it.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Illuminated-Ultrathin-Keyboard-Backlighting/dp/B001F51G16 $56 bucks.

spherical
04-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Yep. That's the one we have. Amazon says we purchased it 2/27/2012.

Because of my ergonomic KB that doesn't have internal lighting, and not being really adept at touch typing (don't think I'll ever be--some days I type at -2 WPM, what with all the correcting) I have a 15 SMD G4-pin LED disc powered by a 12V supply and PWM dimmer lighting my KB.

ernpchan
04-16-2014, 04:35 PM
We NEED illuminated keyboards, for we work in the dark.... ;-)

I too own a wired illuminated keyboard from Logitech called (on the label on the bottom); "Logitech Illuminated Keyboard". (There is also a note saying a position in product development is available.)

It was mentioned by Mojo in his blog a few years and I got it and I LOVE it.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Illuminated-Ultrathin-Keyboard-Backlighting/dp/B001F51G16 $56 bucks.

This looks cool. The wrist rest area is kinda huge. Taking up a lot of precious wacom tablet space.

Hieron
04-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Got the 10 keyless of this (mechanical) one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFWR8r5sdWY
Brown cherry switches.

Built like a tank, feels great, looks cool. not cheap but probably lasts forever.

COBRASoft
04-16-2014, 06:23 PM
I have the Logitech G110 :).

ANS
04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
I use the Logitech G11- it's a gaming keyboard with a lot of programmable keys. Personally, i don't found these additional keys too useful, and keyboard take a lot more precious space on desk, so I have problems with space forWacom tablet... I bought it more than 5 years ago, and now illumination under keys is not that bright, and sometimes flickering. Anyway, it's still works.
But i plan to buy new keyboard- and this it will be mechanical Corsair K70, or new model, planning in mid 2014- with full colour, customizable illumination.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-GjMH8kQlc
On youtube it looks like crazy christmas tree :) but in normal use, i suppose to be possible configure every keys illumination individually, for more comfortable work (for example- green lit- modify operations, red- multiply etc.)

spherical
04-17-2014, 04:49 AM
This looks cool. The wrist rest area is kinda huge. Taking up a lot of precious wacom tablet space.

Just have to make yourself a tablet drawer that hangs off the bottom of your keyboard drawer.

ANS
04-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Just have to make yourself a tablet drawer that hangs off the bottom of your keyboard drawer.

Personally, I like that keyboard and tablet lie on the same level. And I hate keyboard dravers :) Solid table is the best thing :D

calilifestyle
04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Man that Keyboard by Corsiar is so nice.

spherical
04-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Personally, I like that keyboard and tablet lie on the same level. And I hate keyboard dravers :) Solid table is the best thing :D

For me, drawing up on a table that is as high as a desktop isn't very natural. Having it lower allows my shoulder to remain in a natural rest position, as opposed to constantly raised up to allow my forearm to move fluidly. Everyone's ergonomics are different. My trackball, for instance, is on a wedge that tilts it to the right, so my forearm and wrist aren't twisting.

BeeVee
04-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Sucks if you need to use the numbers 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 though... :D

B

Bitboy
04-18-2014, 01:22 AM
I use this at work and at home. It's really comfortable to work with, large keys, great palm rest and I can work comfortably at night and see my keys :-)

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/illuminated-keyboard-k740

EDIT: Saw it was already mentioned, but I can highly recommend it. Several people that got it after asking what to get are really happy with it.

BeeVee
04-18-2014, 02:24 AM
I have the same keyboard. There are two downsides to it for me, both minor. The first is that although the keycaps are "laser-etched", they get messy quite quickly - on my keyboard, the A is just a messy triangle rather than clearly defined , the S and D are similar, the R doesn't have the hole in the upper part of the letter and the T has a blobby horizontal bar (I know this would be much easier to show in a pic, don't have a camera on me right now). The keyboard has a good warranty; Logitech sent me a replacement, which I still haven't connected since I can still use this one. When it gets too bad I'll exchange the keyboards.

The second issue is that the Return key is bigger at the top than the bottom and I always hit the # key instead of Return. My fault though, obviously... :)

B

Chuck
04-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Bumping this to make it easier to find after the thread moves. :)