PDA

View Full Version : where's foundation imaging?

jeremyhardin
11-21-2003, 01:35 AM
cause their not at http://foundation-i.com anymore. did they shut down? anyone have the skinny?

nuclearchutney
11-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by jeremyhardin
cause their not at http://foundation-i.com anymore. did they shut down? anyone have the skinny?

they shut down quite a while back.
what i heard was partly due to Ron Thornton leaving and some management issues.

nuclearchutney
11-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by nuclearchutney

which is no way is Ron's fault i believe. that guy is still great in my eyes.

js33
11-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Yeah they shut down over a year ago or so.
Ron Thorton was teaching at the DAVE school last I heard.
Some of the former employees like Randy Sharp and Lightwave Dave work at Digital Domain and others like Emile Edwin Smith work at Zoic etc...
I know Randy and Dave visit here sometimes and they can give more details.

Cheers,
JS

TSpyrison
11-21-2003, 07:35 AM

Kinda makes me sad..
Good part of Lightwave's history is there..

nuclearchutney
11-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by TSpyrison
Kinda makes me sad..
Good part of Lightwave's history is there..

very true....

if it wasn't Ron and the crew there like Dave Adams, Randy Sharp, Emile, John Teska, John Allardice, Steve Pugh, et.al....

hopefully all are good and well in other places :)

jeremyhardin
11-21-2003, 02:18 PM
yeah that is sad. thanks for the info.

SplineGod
11-22-2003, 12:53 AM
It shut down in October of last year. Dave Adams, Randy and others were gone awhile before it shut down.
Basically they couldnt find work. They were hit hard after the actors strike, writers strike and 9/11 all happened about the same time. Many movie projects were put on hold and LOTS of studios were hit hard. They basically downsized to pretty much just the people working on enterprise and even then some former employees were having meetings with the owners to try and stir up some business. Finally the enterprise crew went to Eden FX apparently and that was that. It was really just bad luck, bad timing and maybe some management issues. A bad economy hasnt helped either. Ron Thornton had left quite awhile before their demise. They had also hired some "sales" people who didnt seem to be very effective.

This whole industry is like a boiling pot. Studios appear, disappear and everyone is recirculated and pop up elsewhere.

Things have just started picking up over this year actually.

LWD
11-24-2003, 12:06 PM
It certainly is a shame that FI couldn't survive. Mortality rates for CGFX companies are high, and the bigger a company gets the more vulnerable it becomes. I look back with fondness to the days we were a 25 person facility. Great BBQs, tight friendships, good times.

I don't think an airing of factors that contributed to FI's demise is appropriate or useful. I choose to remember the golden age of Foundation.

I have always had and will have the utmost respect for Ron Thornton, I'm proud to call him a friend, and I owe a real debt of gratitude for the things he taught me. I even forgive him for that ride in his plane when he did his best to make my stomach come out of my mouth. We closed a few bars together and those are great memories.

The people at FI were the best, they still are the best. Although we are scattered far and wide, we share a common appreciation for what we had when we were there, especially the early days.

I raise my glass to you, the FI alumni, and drink a toast to you and the quality artists you are.

On the rare chilly days in southern California, I still break out my Foundation black biker leather with all the patches from productions in those glory days. Let 'em stare Baby, I was *there*!

Semper "FI"!

Dave Adams
I,ROBOT/Digital Domain

nuclearchutney
11-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by LWD
It certainly is a shame that FI couldn't survive. Mortality rates for CGFX companies are high, and the bigger a company gets the more vulnerable it becomes. I look back with fondness to the days we were a 25 person facility. Great BBQs, tight friendships, good times.

I don't think an airing of factors that contributed to FI's demise is appropriate or useful. I choose to remember the golden age of Foundation.

I have always had and will have the utmost respect for Ron Thornton, I'm proud to call him a friend, and I owe a real debt of gratitude for the things he taught me. I even forgive him for that ride in his plane when he did his best to make my stomach come out of my mouth. We closed a few bars together and those are great memories.

The people at FI were the best, they still are the best. Although we are scattered far and wide, we share a common appreciation for what we had when we were there, especially the early days.

I raise my glass to you, the FI alumni, and drink a toast to you and the quality artists you are.

On the rare chilly days in southern California, I still break out my Foundation black biker leather with all the patches from productions in those glory days. Let 'em stare Baby, I was *there*!

Semper "FI"!

Dave Adams
I,ROBOT/Digital Domain

You guys rocked the house, dave.
if it wasn't for y'all not many would see, what could be done with off the shelf technology.

hope life at DD is treating you well.
my regards to Randy if you see him.

Faisal

p.s. how's the dave list doin'? hopefully you dudes are being as unruly as ever ;)

LWD
11-24-2003, 03:58 PM

p.s. how's the dave list doin'? hopefully you dudes are being as unruly as ever ;)

Thanks Faisal!

Oh, and the LightwaveDave list is still a prime example of Men Behaving Badly!:D

nuclearchutney
11-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by LWD
Thanks Faisal!

Oh, and the LightwaveDave list is still a prime example of Men Behaving Badly!:D

hopefully one day i will be worthy again!

hail to the list and hail to men behaving badly! :)