PDA

View Full Version : Open up my scene in another computer and my camera is ruined? LW 11.6.2

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 03:44 AM
Hey guys, I'm having issues when I open up my scene files in another computer than it was last saved in, the camera is ruined and completely doesn't work when I do this, so I always end up having to create a new camera, or maybe just make a completely new scene file just to be safe... is this a common issue, and is there a fix that you can think of ? BTW I'm on Windows and running version 11.6.2

50one
04-14-2014, 04:10 AM
Hey guys, I'm having issues when I open up my scene files in another computer than it was last saved in, the camera is ruined and completely doesn't work when I do this, so I always end up having to create a new camera, or maybe just make a completely new scene file just to be safe... is this a common issue, and is there a fix that you can think of ? BTW I'm on Windows and running version 11.6.2

Is this the same version on both PCs?

I'm running 11.6.2 on both work and home PC and all works fine.

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 04:33 AM
yup... just uninstalled all versions of LW I had on this computer, and installed a fresh copy of 11.6.2... still same bug.... now I'm thinking maybe it's the difference between Windows 8 and windows 7 which I have at home (I'm using the school computer now). Or maybe the file got fracked when I zip'ed it or dropbox is fudging with it.... but I seriously doubt it. Hmmmm.... do you have version 11.6.2? could you perhaps make a basic scene with a box in it, zip it and upload it here... I'm starting to wonder if it's my computer at home that might be creating these issues somehow

04-14-2014, 04:37 AM
I do this from work, a mac, to home, a pc, almost daily during the week.
All the same.

Ruined... what do you mean?

Try to go from one computer at work to another. That might help narrow it down, too, while at work.

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 04:45 AM
When I say ruined, I mean all cameras don't work, they don't see anything but backdrop color, and no matter what I change, the camera type or focal length, it stays the same. But I can see them placed correctly in the scene... just don't work :/

But I'm going to take your advise and install LW on the next computer, see if it makes any difference

50one
04-14-2014, 05:06 AM
I bet it will be configs, it's always the config files, if there's anything wrong with lightwave you betcha! It's the configs...

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 05:21 AM
ohhh... are they in the user folder ?

allabulle
04-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Have you tried to change the Frame parameter back in the camera that isn't behaving (with a preset in the drop-down menu or by hand, usually 0.5906")? Some time ago I had an issue like this and that fixed it. I'd go first with the configs though, as 50one says.

04-14-2014, 07:43 AM
In those ruined scenes, two things come to mind.
1. Look at the camera's Aspect and Frame sizes. Sound like one might be out of whack.
2. If you haven't, press on the brackets {[]} a few times. I'm thinking you've done this.

If the cameras are there, then you are closer to a fix than it sounded.

allabulle
04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
It couldn't hurt to also check the grid's size. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a scene with 0 grid size and many things went crazy.

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the support guys :) I've gone and tried all tricks above and nothing works :/ using the brackets did fix what seemed to be a glitch with the display on the perspective view window.... when I start up this scene, all view-ports seem like they are orthographic or something, but they would come back to normal as soon as I started using them, but the camera is broken no matter what I do... but it's motion keys stay correct. Also I'm back home now and I sent myself a scene file both via Dropbox and via email, and both of them have the same problem with the camera when I open them in at home.... this is sooo weird

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 09:41 AM
hmmm ok, this is just the weirdest thing... I noticed that the broken camera has had it's rotation limits from -0 to 0 on all axis.... but... the good news is that I found out if I both change the grid size that turns to 0 in these broken scene files, and also change the camera's frame from 0 to anything else.... if I do both of these things, then the camera works.... and also the constrains go back to normal.... there is a devil in my Lightwave

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 10:04 AM
ahhh... damnit... there's more than just the camera that needs fixing.... it seems that the scene file has also for some reason set several other values to zero value.... so strange, how can this happen ?! two of three area lights in the scene, had their intensities set to 0 (they used to be 70 and 30), the third one was left as is (1000%). edge thickness under the objects properties tab was also reset to zero.... and also adaptive sampling... probably something more as well that I have yet to find out... my knowledge on computers stops at this point since I can't grasp how something like this can happen, it seems so random

Sensei
04-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Open lws saved from both machines in text editor and compare.
I remember that in the past we had such bug that writing float used , in some cases, and . (dot) in other cases (probably related to installed locale OS).
It was in .obj importer and exporter. Fix was very easy- just replace char and save file.
But might be also in .lws..

Just a thought.

Skywatcher_NT
04-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Had something like this way back.
Zoom factor went to 0, camera didn't work etc....
It had to do with windows ( language/keyboard ? don't remember ) settings on two different computers.
If you opened the scene in a text editor the "." was replaced with "," so all the values were :cursin: up.

ArtGoblin
04-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Yupp... you guys had it right :D now the world makes a little bit more sense again hehe, thanks a million !!!