PDA

View Full Version : TFD Advanced Concepts and Projects - Nuclear Weapons Pack, Now available.

djlithium
04-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Yah!
It's finally finished.
http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/04/tfd-for-lightwave3d-advanced-concepts-and-projects-nuclear-weapons-pack/

pinkmouse
04-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Any chance of a few videos of the end results?

djlithium
04-13-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm trying to figure out a good way to do the QT videos on the site right now. I may throw together a video. We will see.
I update the gallery to include more detonations this afternoon.

jwiede
04-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Kat, do you plan to release tutorial content on how to make large-scale "nuke-scale" explosions in TFD to go along with the kit's "end results"? If so, will it be made available to kit purchasers gratis, or will it be a separate purchase? If separate, will it be available to all?

I'm actually more interested in tutorial content that gets into stuff like realistic representations of large-scale convection cell effects, and so forth (the stuff that makes nukes look so much more than just "scaled-up" fireballs), and other aspects of how the content was made, more than I am in purchasing the ready-to-use content itself.

djwaterman
04-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Kat, how about just link to a YouTube or Vimeo of all the rendered explosions on black with the catalog names underneath them as they play. It could be at a lower res quality to prevent people trying to use them as compositing elements.

rcallicotte
04-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Somehow I thought I saw this to be training about how to do this. Must have read something into it.

djlithium
04-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Guys.
Yes it is training review on how I set these explosions up and how to tweak certain values without losing your mind in the process to get different looks and keep things under control.
Their scale ranges from 1/100th to 1/10th scale. A few are on the level of a KM high and 400-700m wide X/Z.
The big thing that makes these things look better or worse is voxel scale. I could only set up stuff to work in volumes with 26 to 40, 45 MV in size just to keep things reasonable. I did a couple that are pushing 70MV cubes. That's really really big. In all of the examples still I recommend cutting the Voxel size down by half or a 2/3rd scale of its original setting and adjusting appropriately. The key is resolution detail and being able to generate it quickly so you don't go insane. I cannot stress how important it is to have a 4 or 6 or even a 12GB card if you are going to do production stuff. 2GB will get you by but really... it hurts.

Almost everything you need is included to produce just about any kind of look you want from an oil refinery going up to a an aerial burst (Shot John) to classic ground level atomic explosions and then thermonuclear style detonations. The only thing I wanted to include but didn't were "Rope Tricks". These are really simple to do though. Rope Tricks are the suspension wires and cables that were used to keep observational test and measurement devices in place, held up by balloons near the blast zone. They would immediately vaporize after the detonation and produce these wonderful little string wisps. The name is pulled from Rodeo performers tricks with ropes (lassos) that were popular at the time in movies.
They are a unique feature to desert operations and became so familiar that when people saw other detonations on film later in other operations they questioned if they were really nuclear/atomic explosions because they didn't have those Rope Tricks in them. Weird how that is.

I will see if I can get the QTs strung together and pushed out to YT or something. I used a wonky codec when creating them and it gives me some trouble in editing programs although they seem to play fine for the most part.

jwiede
04-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Okay, cool, thanks Kat! If there's associated tutorial content included on how the explosions are created, details (along the lines of, but not incl.) like "rope tricks", etc. that's great! You might want to mention that a bit more explicitly, from the description I came away thinking the package was primarily presets/settings and "ingredients", not so much instructional material.

prometheus
04-14-2014, 02:31 PM
also put them on vimeo, if you have the time, have the account there ...in case the youtube conversion getīs uggly, I prefer vimeo converting quality... which I think doeīs a better job at it, but of course..you might reach more folks on
the youtube...you just might:) donīt forget to tag it with cat, cute cat or funny cat or something:) I watch those clips regulary...and I think a lot of people do search for that..so that is a search optimize tip:)

Michael

djlithium
04-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Meow. I just got an email from Jascha. IF you have picked up the video there is a section where I detail the problem with light exclusions. He's now figured that out and is fixing it! YEAH!

BTW, for anyone interested in the group by, Jascha has given me permission to organize that and I can use L3D to make it work for everyone. I'm going to set that up now and post some more information in the group buy thread.

Kat

Julez4001
04-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I think all your products need videos of what it is, you are selling.
Gibson stuff definately needs it.

djlithium
04-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Each L3D citizen is free to promote their products as they see fit. think of us as a gate way to training material allocated from resources around the world.
I actually was in a panic earlier today as my SSD drive decided to not show up in windows suddenly... Guess where the TFD material is stored? It's back now and I hope to do a promo video of sorts. Odd though. One of the C4D artists who does training bought my videos yesterday in an effort to better understand the plug in.... what does that tell you?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, cool, thanks Kat! If there's associated tutorial content included on how the explosions are created, details (along the lines of, but not incl.) like "rope tricks", etc. that's great! You might want to mention that a bit more explicitly, from the description I came away thinking the package was primarily presets/settings and "ingredients", not so much instructional material.

Kats love rope tricks.... especially with laser pointers and clickers! http://www.useyourclicker.com/ hehehehehahahahahahah meuow hauhhahahahahaha!

jwiede
04-16-2014, 02:15 AM
One of the C4D artists who does training bought my videos yesterday in an effort to better understand the plug in.... what does that tell you?

Well, to be fair, much of what I've learned from your TFD videos I use with the C4D version of TFD (its settings and all are quite similar, though it used to have a few extras, not sure if the two versions are at parity yet or not). Heck, it's even been useful with Navie's Effex (another C4D fluids pkg, though it has liquids, etc. as well), and RealFlow. Much of the tutorial info translates usefully to other fluid engines/pkgs, once you understand how the "knobs" translate across.

djlithium
04-16-2014, 03:29 PM
They are all based on the same wavelet white papers from siggraph from a number of years ago dealing with Computational Fluid Dynamics so that is not really a surprise. :)

- - - Updated - - -

They are all based on the same wavelet white papers from siggraph from a number of years ago dealing with Computational Fluid Dynamics so that is not really a surprise. :)

Oedo 808
04-19-2014, 03:51 AM
I'm feeling the pinch a bit at the moment but going through the newsletter convinced me to pick it up. I mean, it's nuclear explosions; and who needs beer and a take-away anyway.