PDA

View Full Version : Fire wire output to DV

lingesh
11-20-2003, 07:51 PM
hi, i can't seem to be able to output my timeline to DV via firewire. Any idea when this feature will be implemented ? Will outputting to DV via S-Video degrade the video quality as opposed to fire wire ?

thanks

SBowie
11-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by lingesh
hi, i can't seem to be able to output my timeline to DV via firewire. Any idea when this feature will be implemented ? Will outputting to DV via S-Video degrade the video quality as opposed to fire wire ?

thanks The concensus is no, but some would disagree. I suppose you could say, then, that it's a personal decision. Note that if you wish, you can render your project to a DV AVI file in VT[3], then export it back to your DV device using any of several options, including the "DVapp" included with your VT[3]. (This takes time, and many feel it's not worth bothering.)

Rich Deustachio
11-21-2003, 04:44 PM
I capture DVCAM into VT3 as .rtv, edit then master to DVCAM. Both in and out are Y/C and the quality looks fantastic. I do some editing for a friend of mine and he says the master looks just as good as the raw footage. He sometimes uses a guy that has a Canopus system that captures DV in then DV out and he says my work looks much better.

ted
11-22-2003, 06:13 AM
Rich, that's probably because you're a professional and you know what you're doing! There's a lot of "guys" out there with expensive toys that DON'T know what they are doing!;)

Rich Deustachio
11-22-2003, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the compliment Ted, but even though I would like to take all the credit for his comments he was also referring to the picture quality the VT3 puts out when importing DVCAM in and out capturing uncompressed Y/C.

kozmo22
11-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Greetings. I work for a company in Forestville, NY and they just bought a VT[3] on my recommendation. It is quite an amazing system. I'm finding it very easy to get a consistantly good picture - most times the picture coming out of the Toaster looks better than the picture that went in!
Anyway, I have a Canon XL1S connected to a buslink 3-port firewire pci card and I cannot get the Toaster to see that there's a DV source. I know it works because Windows itself recognizes the card and the camera, but VT[3] just doesn't see it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Jim Capillo
11-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by kozmo22
Greetings. I work for a company in Forestville, NY and they just bought a VT[3] on my recommendation. It is quite an amazing system. I'm finding it very easy to get a consistantly good picture - most times the picture coming out of the Toaster looks better than the picture that went in!
Anyway, I have a Canon XL1S connected to a buslink 3-port firewire pci card and I cannot get the Toaster to see that there's a DV source. I know it works because Windows itself recognizes the card and the camera, but VT[3] just doesn't see it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Make sure you have DirectX 9.0b installed.....